WPS (or Wi-Fi Protected Setup)

Aipaloovik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 17:53    Post subject: WPS (or Wi-Fi Protected Setup) Reply with quote
I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out if this firmware supports this feature, even though select hardware do feature it from their factory (ie: Netgear's WGR614L).

I've searched the forum to no avail, which is akin to saying "Hello!" in a crowded room and EVERYONE looking at you when you're looking for a specific individual, even though you know what that individual looks like.

I've searched the Wiki, and even attempted to Google it.

I've come to the conclusion that it isn't apart of the feature set, and I'm okay with that. I'll just have to make due with the factory firmware for time being (as I need WPS for my HP Printer).

So my question now is, is this protocol/service/feature going to be implemented in the near future? While it isn't the main reason why I purchased the router (the possibility of usin' DD-WRT firmware, that is), it would be nice, as I've tooled around with it on a lesser Linksys router, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Aipaloovik
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nothin', huh? Can't blame me for askin'.
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump!

Very useful method to simplify wifi connection on guests laptops and smartphones. Smile

[[]]

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm really surprised that this is not part of the ddwrt feature set. Does anyone have a solution as to how to implement this into ddwrt? I have been searching and all I come up with is folks asking but no one answers.
ReDaLeRt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
OpenWrt - Supports WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup)
easy and fast authentication Wi-Fi clients
Last changed: 2011-05-29 21:16

WPS is a standard that enables easy and fast connection to the wireless network. There are four methods (of which two are required to implement) the call is:
- PIN code
- PBC by pressing buttons on a router and network card
and optionally
- NFC, using specially for wireless communication systems, or RFID tags
- USB, transferring the appropriate codes on the stick.

More information can be found in Wikipedia.

While technically pin code entry is no different than just a password for Wi-Fi network, so much the method of buttons, PBC (Push Button Configuration) is interesting because you do not have the passwords to remember. In practice, this means that if we want to get a connection, press the WPS button on the tab labeled WiFi, the corresponding button on the router and after a while the call is automatically compiled. Very simple, but requires physical access to the router.

Most routers have a button available - named WPS, QSS or otherwise dependent on the hardware manufacturer. The OpenWrt can run smoothly this method of authentication.
Installation
Requires full version of the program and an additional wpad hostpad-utils package. The system may already be installed on a simplified version of wpad-mini, which does not support this configuration method, so you should uninstall it

Code:
# opkg remove wpad-mini     
# opkg update
# opkg install wpad-full hostapd-utils

Configuration
The most important thing is the inclusion of this method in the configuration file / etc / config / wireless. This is done by setting the appropriate option

Code:
# uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].wps_pushbutton=1
# uci commit wireless
# wifi

If we use the trunk version of the other elements are ready. If you use Backfire, you must still specify which button will be used to this. To modify a file / etc/hotplug.d/button/50-wps. In most cases, available is a separate WPS button, which is visible in the Backfire as BTN_1 (to see how others see their names on buttons tutorial ). Change of command can be performed
Code:

# sed -i -e 's/wps/BTN_1/' /etc/hotplug.d/button/50-wps

Now just press the button on the network card wps, wps or QSS button on the router and the connection should be automatically compiled.
Comments
- My paintings contain code to handle BTN_1 button (on / off wifi). Before using it to WPS must therefore remove or modify its operation (in the / etc / config / system)
- Hostapd-utils package (actually included in the program hostpad_cli) must include a handling method wps_pbc. It is added only if the compile version wpad-full, if the new package will be compiled wpad-mini, w / the method will not be added. To make sure we use the correct version, you can issue the command:

Code:
# hostapd_cli -h

there should be lines, m.in:

Code:
    wps_pin <uuid> <pin> [timeout] [addr]  add WPS Enrollee PIN
    wps_check_pin <PIN>  verify PIN checksum
    wps_pbc              indicate button pushed to initiate PBC
    wps_ap_pin <cmd> [params..]  enable/disable AP PIN

In: http://eko.one.pl/?p=openwrt-wps (Quote translated by Google Language Tool)

50-wps script for WNDR3700:

Code:
root@OpenWrt:/# cat /etc/hotplug.d/button/50-wps

if [ "$ACTION" = "pressed" -a "$BUTTON" = "BTN_1" ]; then
        echo "255" > /sys/devices/platform/leds-gpio/leds/wndr3700:green:wps/brightness
        for dir in /var/run/hostapd-*; do
                [ -d "$dir" ] || continue
                logger "WPS button active: $dir"
                hostapd_cli -p "$dir" wps_pbc
        done
        sleep 10
        echo "0" > /sys/devices/platform/leds-gpio/leds/wndr3700:green:wps/brightness
fi

In: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=127010#p127010

[[]]

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
So basically openWRT supports wps, but dd-wrt does not? (I'm running pre sp2 21061 on a cisco valet plus m20, and the wps button doesn't do anything, but the wps light is steady on - orange. A little weird.)

By the way, what is open WRT?
jbouv55151
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any final solution for having WPS button working ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: