Can't SSH from one vlan to another using WAN IP. Help?

evolosophy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:43    Post subject: Can't SSH from one vlan to another using WAN IP. Help? Reply with quote
A while back I followed a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yCM9K7S7Io) and set up my system as two VLANs as described below. Other than that video, I'm a complete VLAN noob, so bear with me please.

OK, so first here's my setup:

vlan0: compA compB compC
vlan1: compD

compD is running an ssh server and the router is set to port-forward ssh to that computer. I've tried to ssh to compD from compA and compB as well. Neither one connects (they time out). But if I try from compD to compD it connects. Just to make sure I tried to connect to compD from yet another computer that is completely outside of my network. That computer could connect as well.

It seems the only machines that can't connect to it are those on vlan0. And before you ask, when I ssh I'm not using the internal IPs. I'm using the WAN, or external, IP address.

I realize computers can't talk across VLANs, but I'm going out and back in. Am I wrong to assume that this approach should work?

Thanks for reading this too-long post. Smile
Sponsor
evolosophy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, poop. That's too bad.

Thanks for replying and giving me the name "NAT loopback". Maybe that'll improve my google-fu enough to figure this out. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: