Buffalo WZR-600DHP vs WZR-HP-AG300H?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
slowmail
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 14:31    Post subject: Buffalo WZR-600DHP vs WZR-HP-AG300H? Reply with quote
Does anyone know if there are any (hardware?) differences between the Buffalo WZR-600DHP and WZR-HP-AG300H?

They're both "AirStation HighPower N600 Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router", and otherwise appear similar, if not identical in specs.

http://www.buffalotech.com/content/files/products/wzr-hp-ag300h_DS.pdf
http://www.buffalotech.com/content/files/products/WZR-600DHP_Datasheet.pdf
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
everything i have read about these units point me to the same thing as you have found: the only difference in these units is a name change, hardware wise they are the same as the wzr-hp-ag300h. i don't know of anyone that has one yet to confirm it, but pretty sure thats what is going on here..

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
pcb pics would confirm...or not
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
According to a post on the buffalo forum, it's a Japanese only model. Surprisingly new@@@ has it $20 cheaper than the ag300h.
slowmail
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
joecop67 wrote:
According to a post on the buffalo forum, it's a Japanese only model. Surprisingly new@@@ has it $20 cheaper than the ag300h.

It isn't a JP only model. Buffalo (USA) made a press release about them just two weeks ago:
Buffalo's AirStation HighPower N600 Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Router WZR-600DHP replaces the WZR-HP-AG300H...

And the product page on their site now has the the new (?) WZR-600DHP instead of the WZR-HP-AG300H.
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obviously it's not a us only model if newegg is selling it in the USA.
I was merely stating what someone on the buffalo forums said.
slowmail
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
brian_nathaniel (moderator@forums.buffalotech) posted the following:
The WZR-600DHP has updated hardware chips and ships out with the revised/updated DD-WRT firmware. The WZR-600DHP is basically the next generation of the WZR-HP-AG300H.
SkylarTheFox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone get the Community Build of DD-WRT running on this yet? The one for the WZR-HP-AG300H gives an "Upgrade Failed" message after trying to upload the firmware onto it.
Justin Bennett
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:28    Post subject: Re: Buffalo WZR-600DHP vs WZR-HP-AG300H? Reply with quote
slowmail wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any (hardware?) differences between the Buffalo WZR-600DHP and WZR-HP-AG300H?

These two units seem similar enough that I successfully flashed the WZR-HP-AG300H firmware onto a WZR-600DHP.

At cursory glance, everything appears in order. No issues on the 2.4 GHz freq, and I don't have a 5 GHz client to test with. Both builds have almost the same web interface and capabilities.

Unrelated to the initial posting, but I'd been looking for a different version of firmware to run on the WZR-600DHP, as the VLAN options only included tagging, and I needed a more robust solution (5 WZR-600DHP units in current network project). If one could point me in the direction of downloading a MEGA dd-wrt version for either of these routers, I'd greatly appreciate it.

For reference - the web upgrade feature failed on a few different dd-wrt firmwares attempted (one from Buffalo, which has since been removed from their website). I'm not sure the distinction, but the "web upgrade" version worked:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/07-20-12-r19519/buffalo_wzr-hp-g300nh/

WZR-HP-AG300H Wiki:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-AG300H

No wiki entry (as yet) on WZR-600DHP

The pre-install on the WZR-600DHP reported:
DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (07/09/12) std build 19438

Current reported version:
DD-WRT v24SP2 (07/20/12) std build 19519

The firmware also now reports the router version as, "Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H"
121z3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello guys,

I have the model WZR-600DHP japanese version.
To sucessfuly upgrade the firmware to english version of custom DD-WRT buffalo, i followed this steps in openwrt site:

1 - there is a way to set u-boot variables without serial access. Japanesse and other languages OAM "user frendly" firmware have special hidden maintenance page, accessible at http://your.router.ip.address/cgi-bin/cgi?req=frm&frm=py-db/55debug.html, with special username (bufpy) and password (otdpopy+<root password if any>) log-in required. Make sure you don't have the usual root athenticated WEB session active (clear the browser cache), otherwise you would receive an empty page saying "—- UNDER CONSTRUCTION — ". Now, one can activate telnetd by clicking the link, and access the OAM OS by telnet. Once there, one can use a command "ubootenv" to set above mentioned variables without trouble (tested & confirmed OK on Japanese WZR-600DHP)
2 - telnet to router and type:
ubootenv set accept_open_rt_fmt 1
reboot
3 - now, login to NORMAL webpage of the router but, this time, in username type bufpy and in password type otdpopy+<root password if any>
4 - look in advanced config tab and you will see links used by development team of buffalo japan. There is a NEW update firmware link. Use it to flash firmwares other than japanese protected firmwares.

I tested here and no problems so far.
Japanese WZR-600DHP --> DD-WRT Buffalo WZR-600DHP Sorry about my english. Hope this help someone.
Chears
computer.technician
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I took a chance because I wanted to see if this method would work for using the WZR-600DHP firmware on the previous WZR-HP-AG300H. If it bricked, then it gave me a reason to switch to an updated router with the draft AC. I can confirm that the latest WZR-600DHP (Friendly Firmware) version 1.91 is operating on my WZR-HP-AG300H using the methods described in the previous post for accessing the developer firmware update page. The previous firmware I had installed was (Friendly Firmware) version 1.78, which was the latest available for the WZR-HP-AG300H before the product page was updated to the WZR-600DHP. Using the normal firmware update method through the admin router page would exit with an Invalid Firmware error. I have not noticed any problems with this firmware but I have not thoroughly tested it. I use my router for a static internet connection to a cable high speed provider, wireless access to multiple devices for networking and internet, streaming audio/video, connection to a Buffalo NAS, etc. Probably, most functions that people use their routers at home. The noticeable improvements were faster authentication/connection & longer range with my WiFi devices, no failures with automatic internet connection setup with my Cisco DOCSIS 3.0 modem (I don't have to setup manually), updated hyperlinks & help menus on the router access page, Movie Engine QOS improvements with lag... I cannot confirm if the DD-WRT firmware released for the WZR-600DHP could now be updated to this router because I don't plan on using it. However, I would gamble that it should since this version is working without any flaws for my network. I will not guarantee that this will work for everyone else. Try this firmware update method at your own risk.
dhull
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
It appears that there is now WZR-600DHP-specific firmware available. I haven't tried it yet.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/04-01-2013-r21153/buffalo_wzr-600dhp/
Fhajad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone have a good step by step for upgrading to the released firmware? I saw the post by 121z3 and instructions on OpenWRT, wondering if it's the same process, even though it says web upgrade?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fhajad wrote:
Anyone have a good step by step for upgrading to the released firmware? I saw the post by 121z3 and instructions on OpenWRT, wondering if it's the same process, even though it says web upgrade?

Are you upgrading from buffalo dd-wrt or community dd-wrt?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Fhajad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Are you upgrading from buffalo dd-wrt or community dd-wrt?

It would be upgrading from the Buffalo DD-WRT.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: