Printing to Configured Brother MPC 3820CN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
thecomputerpitstop
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 20:07    Post subject: Printing to Configured Brother MPC 3820CN Reply with quote
Is there a setting in the DD-WRT firmware that allows IP printing?

The printer works fine using a Linksys WRT54G with the default firmware, however, when a WRT54G or other compatible DD-WRT router (i.e., Buffalo WHR-HP-G54) is flashed with DD-WRT, nothing can be printed to the Brother printer. The IP can be pinged however, so the network in general can see the printer.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Sponsor
jrs.jrs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Strange I've had two Brother printers (an HL1440 and MFC7820N) and never had trouble reaching them through dd-wrt.

Are you able to reach the printer's admin page?

http://printer.IP/main/main.html
thecomputerpitstop
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 13:55    Post subject: Printing to Configured Brother MPC 3820CN Reply with quote
I don't believe the 3820cn has the capability of access setup remotely (via browser or telnet). At lease there is nothing mentioned about this in the manual. In any case tried to access via browser. Just get the standard browser window that 'nobody's home'.
jrs.jrs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is nothing in the dd-wrt default settings which would interfere with printing.

This is obvious, but for the record:
1. Power cycle the printer so it requests network settings via DHCP.
2. Find your printers IP or name on the dd-wrt status page.
3. Double-Check that your workstation is not printing to the old name or IP address. (I've made that mistake!)
4. If that doesn't resolve it, scan the device to determine which services are up. (NMAP)
Are ports 631 or 9100 open?

Also, AFAIK there should be a telnet and web admin pages for all of the MFCs. Try telneting to the printer as well.
thecomputerpitstop
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 16:02    Post subject: Printing to Configured Brother MPC 3820CN Reply with quote
Problem ended up be unrelated to any of the replies; it was a simple LPR issue with the DD-WRT firmware. The Brother 3820CN requires the printer to be set up for strictly IP Printing using LPR and not any networking scanning utilities, i.e., Rendezvous.

Apparently the default Linksys firmware has no problem with scanning utilities. Printer works fine now.
slydog3333
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
This seems like exactly the same issue I'm having. I'm wondering what exactly you had to do to fix it?

My Brother MFC-7840W worked fine on the Linksys firmware but after flashing to dd-wrt the scanning functions don't work right. The Brother software doesn't even see the printer when installing even though it connects fine to the network and shows up fine on the network.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: