Is anyone using the WHR-HP-G54 with Vista?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
spectheintro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 16:40    Post subject: Is anyone using the WHR-HP-G54 with Vista? Reply with quote
Is anyone here successfully using (with no drops in internet connectivity) a Windows Vista machine behind a WHR-HP-G54 running dd-WRT v23 SP2? Are there any particular settings I should pay attention to? I have been wholly unsuccessful in my attempts to do so, and though I am more than willing to lay the blame on Microsoft and Dell's door, I want to make certain before I do that the WHR-HP can handle Vista's "new and improved" network stack. I have tried disabling the SPI firewall and that has not helped--no matter what I try, given enough time, the computer will drop its connectivity with absolutely no way (short of restarting) of regaining it--and sometimes even restarting doesn't help.

Thanks!
Sponsor
iskarion
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 17:30    Post subject: Re: Is anyone using the WHR-HP-G54 with Vista? Reply with quote
spectheintro wrote:
... that the WHR-HP can handle Vista's "new and improved" network stack....

There is no need for the router to handle Vista's Network Stack. For normal network operation neither Vista knows which type of router it's connected to, nor does the router know which operating systems are running on the computers it's serving. (Except you are using special features like Upnp).

I'm not using Vista, but I have computers with Windows XP, OS X, Linux and even an old Amiga in my home network and none of them has problems with the router. So I see no reason why this should be different with Vista.

Is your Pc connected to the router via ethernet or via WLAN? If it's a WLAN connection it could be a problem with the drivers for your WLAN adapter. Many Vista drivers are not yet as stable and mature as older XP drivers for the same hardware.
spectheintro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 18:08    Post subject: Re: Is anyone using the WHR-HP-G54 with Vista? Reply with quote
iskarion wrote:
spectheintro wrote:
... that the WHR-HP can handle Vista's "new and improved" network stack....

There is no need for the router to handle Vista's Network Stack. For normal network operation neither Vista knows which type of router it's connected to, nor does the router know which operating systems are running on the computers it's serving. (Except you are using special features like Upnp).

You would think this is the case, but empirical evidence is showing it to not be. Let me link you to a Microsoft KB describing the issue. The workaround that they offer is supposed to help the issue, but it has not helped me. Disabling the SPI firewall (with which Vista also has issues, apparently) has not helped either. I am going to try the suggestions offered in the blog I just linked, and see if that helps at all.

Quote:
I'm not using Vista, but I have computers with Windows XP, OS X, Linux and even an old Amiga in my home network and none of them has problems with the router. So I see no reason why this should be different with Vista.

Is your Pc connected to the router via ethernet or via WLAN? If it's a WLAN connection it could be a problem with the drivers for your WLAN adapter. Many Vista drivers are not yet as stable and mature as older XP drivers for the same hardware.

I am using a Broadcom 440x fast ethernet card. Like I said, I am not entirely certain that this isn't *completely* Vista's fault--the OS has been remarkably unstable. But the thing that confuses me is how I will *consistently* drop network connectivity after I have used the ethernet connection to download something from the internet. I have not tried to do intra-network transfers yet; I may test that soon to see if that makes a difference.
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Microsoft has a reputation with redefining established standards...

At our company we were given a laptop with Vista preinstalled because it couldnt't work properly with a 512/256 DSL line.
Not even a telnet session with the SMTP-server was possible.

Vista is doing a lot of things with your Internet.. So much that it doesn't let YOU use it.
It's about time that OS's are once again subject to the applications that run on them.......

Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
Gradnovaine
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Strange I have no problem whatsoever with my Vista Home Premium in combination with my WHR-HP-G54 with v23SP2 VPN.

I'm having trouble with Hamachi and the Windows Firewall though.

Hope that helps you.
spectheintro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gradnovaine wrote:
Strange I have no problem whatsoever with my Vista Home Premium in combination with my WHR-HP-G54 with v23SP2 VPN.

I'm having trouble with Hamachi and the Windows Firewall though.

Hope that helps you.

Gradnovaine:

This helps quite a bit! Can you describe your setup to me? What is your network card? Is the system you use prebuilt, or from an OEM? What sort of problems are you having with Windows Firewall?

Thanks.
mikeyman2171
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im also having no problems with my HP-G54 and vista, but I NEVER use windows firewall I am using a Dlink DWL-G520 WLAN card and am running ddwrt v23sp3. So far So good.
spectheintro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
mikeyman2171 wrote:
Im also having no problems with my HP-G54 and vista, but I NEVER use windows firewall I am using a Dlink DWL-G520 WLAN card and am running ddwrt v23sp3. So far So good.

So you are using wireless and NOT ethernet, correct? I just want to make sure, so I can narrow out the list of potential conflicts.
mikeyman2171
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes Im using the WLAN. and I didnt have any problems as of yet. I even have the SPI firewall on, I dont know it it really matters but I do go the pain of manually setting up each device on the network with its own static address, to include the router.
spectheintro
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I took the machine into work today, where I've got a few other Vista boxes running flawlessly, and it still exhibited the issue, so I'm certain now that I have a hardware problem. Dell will be getting the machine back.

Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: