Built-in or On board Radius server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
katon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:35    Post subject: Built-in or On board Radius server Reply with quote
There is a project to put on-board radius server in router? or built-in ? Like routers from Cisco , Compex, ZyXEL and others... How they do ?
I know that these routers have big flash memory but there is routers from Linksys with big flash memory...

Someone has found information about this?
it was a project TinyPeap but it doesnt work ...

I can't believe that people don't think about this...
Thanks
Sponsor
katon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone interested in this?????????????? icant believe
Goofee691
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
i beleave dd-wrt already supports a radius server if you install one but you would need the space to install throuh samba, mmc, jffs, or a usb hard drive
katon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok, thanks for your reply..

but has you tried to install?
someone sayed me that in openwrt there is a radius..
Goofee691
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have not tried since i do not have a use for altho i do know that it is more secure to use it but not all of my hardware supports ie my palm and i dont feel like paying to get a updated network module form palm supporting it, it should already be free.

the packages can be found here
http://downloads.openwrt.org/whiterussian/packages/
make sure you have the space for it
hjacobson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's an ipkg of freeRadius available for OpenWRT. Ipkg is part of DD-WRT; I've not installed FreeRadius yet. Apparently (from other posts) it will install in DD-WRT. I'd like to try Chillispot, too. I'm interested to try creating a single router hotspot 'proof of concept'. I thought to install OpenWRT. Maybe I will but for now I'll work in DD-WRT v23 sp2 as I can.

katon, I think the sparsity of information is not because nobody's thought of it. It may be due the need to squeeze so much into so little RAM, issues of how much writing can be done to NVRAM and other packages needed for freeRadius to function. For example the Radius server appears to need SQL to work.

I've not been comprehensive in my research. I've only had DD-WRT installed on my Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 for a few days. DD-WRT says the router's got 32MB memory. This morning I progressed to where I understand I must install JFFS to run ipkg to install freeradius.......

Harry
Goofee691
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
jffs does not get installed it is their and with the 32MB of memory that is not flash ram but volitol ram you could use it for your radius server but you woul dneed to use a startup script to install the server each tim ethe router reboots.

anohter way to get the space is to use the mmc/sd card mod like i have giving you much more space in my case 1GB of space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: