Bricked EA2700

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
Malachi wrote:
My ea2700 is still not working. I discovered it still will acta as a switch though.

the ea2700 has never been tested. its experimental since i dont own the device. simply recover your device to the original fw with tftp is my hint. a owner of a ea2700 is surelly able to help you with it here

I can't tftp the original fw. It responds to pings with timeout. I've tried for hours. I'm hoping to hear from fractal who has one with serial hooked up.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
what i know is that tftp only works on the very first few seconds of booting on 192.168.1.1 and its really timing critical to get this to work. some linksys routers also do not use tftp,but use a embedded http webserver for recovering which must be connected in very first few seconds at bootup

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
How do I get to this embedded linksys http webserver?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use serial recovery to fix the router. All you need is in the wiki.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried that. The pinout is not like my e4200. There are 6 holes. One is square. I presumed that one is ground. I skipped the one next to it, the next two I presume are tx/rx as the e4200.
As fractal noted on his ea2700, it wasn't standard. The holes were really tiny. He posted pics of his board. Unlike his which were open, mine were filled with solder which seemed harder than normal.
In the process of soldering the ground pin on I lifted the pad. So unfortunately that's that. I m guessing I ruined it.
I already ordered another ea2700. This time I will wait till fractal has tested his.
I knew he had serial console on his and he was in contact with Brainslayer, so I assumed since the build was posted, that fractal had tested it on his.

I should not have assumed.

I now realize on the e4200 the square pinout is vcc.

Last edited by Malachi on Thu May 30, 2013 20:28; edited 2 times in total
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see this thread was split off from the "New build is out 21676 (BS) K2.6 and K3.X" thread.
I posted it there because it said to report success or failures there. Sorry if I screwed up again.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
there are always 6 holes on the most linksys routers. but just 4 are used

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
I tried that. The pinout is not like my e4200. There are 6 holes. One is square. I presumed that one is ground.

It wasn't. This is all explained in the serial recovery wiki. Maybe read it carefully. Also check to see if there is a serial port in the wan port.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did read it more than once. Even went to the link showing serial pinouts of other routers. Since none if them showed the ea2700 but only older models, I used info that I got on this forum regarding the serial pinout on an e4200 which is more recent. That thread stated that the square pad is ground. So that's what I went with. I would think brainslayer knows what he is talking about.
Frankly these forums and wikis can be a little confusing as you've heard before.
Just a few posts above this brainslayer says most linksys routers have 6 pinouts.
The serial recovery says most routers have 4 or 5.
My e4200 has 5 the ea2700 has 6. So it's kind of hard to figure our what is what.

Nothing inside the wan port.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read the serial recovery wiki again. Then went outside to mow in the 88 degree sunny day. Doing so I kept turning over in my head what I had done wrong.
Finally it occurred to me that I could use my ohm meter to see which pad on the board is the ground. By process of elimination I believe it's the opposite end of the square one.
If I hold black to it and test the others I get nothing till I get to the one next to it. Then I get a voltage reading. Which leads me to believe that's vcc correct?

How do I determine which is the tx and rx?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
both tx & rx will show voltage with a volt meter to ground.

use one of the radio / chip covers as your ground reference. You know, the metal covers with the holes in them..

Using an ohm meter, you will have zero ohms to ground.

Using a volt meter, vcc, tx, and rx will show voltage. All pretty close to 3.3vdc.

tx & rx will have little smt resisters right next to the header. vcc may also have a resister.

follow the traces with the resisters. the data lines will head over in the direction of the processor, vcc should be able to be traced to other 3.3v components / circuits on the pcb.

maybe post a pic of the header area.

a normal linksys serial layout is 5 pins. pin 1 is vcc and that will have the square pad around the hole. I may be wrong as I have no hands on with this router but I would be suprised if pin one was not vcc.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks barryware. I'm on my iPad now. Here is a link to the picture. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=153481&highlight=ea2700+fractal.

Your description of the headers and the resistors should be in the serial wiki. Not the picture.

I got output from serial it just says "Decompressing...done"

Last edited by Malachi on Thu May 30, 2013 23:17; edited 1 time in total
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Thanks barryware. I'm on my iPad now. Here is a link to the picture. http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=153481&highlight=ea2700+fractal.

That should be in the serial wiki

No it shouldn't. It is just a picture of the mobo, and doesn't tell anything about serial recovery.

Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm sorry, I meant barryware instructions should be in the wiki. Not the picture. Bad sentence structure on my part.

Murkff what does the decompressing done mean. I can't seem to do anything. I can't input anything to erase the nvram.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
I'm sorry, I meant barryware instructions should be in the wiki. Not the picture. Bad sentence structure on my part.

Murkff what does the decompressing done mean. I can't seem to do anything. I can't input anything to erase the nvram.

You are correct 2 of the holes are not used,

Interesting enough I loaded this build onto my EA2700,

I get a semi bricked state as well, its like the CFE is digitally signed, another interesting thing is that the router has redundant flash chip, meaning you can roll back firmware. I was able to recover my device without needing the serial. You need to hold reset in, then apply power and wait almost 60 sec for the lights in the back to flash, then let go.. Once you do this the router will be should boot to the 2nd or auxiliary flash and return you to the cisco firmware.

I will dump serial on this again with brainslayers newest build spit out this line at the bottom:

Image uploading failed. The selected file contains wrong digital signature.

then after forcing the firmware onto the router:

PANIC: boot image contains invalid digital signature .

-Fractal
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: