loosing firmware after power off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
chaleman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:23    Post subject: loosing firmware after power off Reply with quote
Hi guys. I've researched all over but I can't find the exact problem I have. Basically, my Linksys E3200 goes directly into Management Mode / Firmware Upgrade at boot. This happened after I tried flashing the first ddwrt firmware as per the instructions on the wiki.

So, when in management mode after power on, I can flash either the initial ddwrt firmware or the original stock firmware. The flash will be successful and after reboot I can log in to either firmware (green led stable). The problem is that if I disconnect the linksys form the power cord and connect it again, boom I'm back in management mode. The router survives flash firmwares if kept connected to electricity, but after it loses it.

I've tried the 30/30/30 and flashing through tftp. When loading TFTP, the windows program doesn't see the router, although I can connect to it and everything....

What else can I do. The router is "semi/bricked". I don't want to use it if every time I lose power I have to start all over...

Thanks for your help and ideas!!!

Chale
Sponsor
Keon91
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 15:00    Post subject: Re: loosing firmware after power off Reply with quote
chaleman wrote:
Hi guys. I've researched all over but I can't find the exact problem I have. Basically, my Linksys E3200 goes directly into Management Mode / Firmware Upgrade at boot. This happened after I tried flashing the first ddwrt firmware as per the instructions on the wiki.

So, when in management mode after power on, I can flash either the initial ddwrt firmware or the original stock firmware. The flash will be successful and after reboot I can log in to either firmware (green led stable). The problem is that if I disconnect the linksys form the power cord and connect it again, boom I'm back in management mode. The router survives flash firmwares if kept connected to electricity, but after it loses it.

I've tried the 30/30/30 and flashing through tftp. When loading TFTP, the windows program doesn't see the router, although I can connect to it and everything....

What else can I do. The router is "semi/bricked". I don't want to use it if every time I lose power I have to start all over...

Thanks for your help and ideas!!!

Chale

I dont know what you mean with management mode?

What browser are you using?
I recommend to use google chrome, clear the browser cache before you try to flash trough the webinterface.
chaleman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Management mode is a "Safe Mode" which enables you to flash a new firmware...
jackykoning
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
moar details... what firmware are you using etc etc etc.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
How is that router put into management mode? Sounds like you have a stuck reset button.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
chaleman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can install any firmware I want because when I remove power and reconnect, I end up in management mode (firmware upgrade mode). I can ping the router and if I install the firmware from this mode, the router survives soft reboots (w/o doing a power cycle)... and the firmware works and so does the router.

It can be explained as if flash memory where the firmware is installed gets lost at power off. How can I check if it's a stuck power button? does that make sense?

Thanks...
jackykoning
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Usualy those reset buttons have that nice click sound when you press it.. If it does not make that sound it might be stuck... But even if it does make the sound it could be stuck… only way then would be to open the router and test it with a multimeter or desolder it.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK... the reset button is working fine... thanks....

any other ideas? thank you all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: