Netgear WNR2000 V4 HELP

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Josh5321
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 22:02    Post subject: Netgear WNR2000 V4 HELP Reply with quote
Please watch this video I made and advise me of where im going wrong in the tftp flash process.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc-0b2THS5c
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
No need for me to watch the video - WNR2000v4 is not a ddwrt supported model.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why is everyone so lazy? If you just take the minute thirty to watch the video you would know I am trying to see where my tftp flash is going wrong. I dont care about bricking.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Josh5321 wrote:
Why is everyone so lazy? If you just take the minute thirty to watch the video you would know I am trying to see where my tftp flash is going wrong. I dont care about bricking.

Your video is irrelevant, there is not one single dd-wrt build that will be accepted by a v4.
Not in the gui, not by tftp.
That is your shear luck, otherwise you would have a brick now.
Not maybe - for sure 100%.
Now stop being a fool.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't mean to bring this back from the dead for over a month. But is there any idea if we will ever support this version? I recently bought one myself.

Also if there is a way how can I help? Very Happy
asmagill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 18:48    Post subject: Re the WNR2000 v4 Reply with quote
Can we get something more than "it doesn't work"... is there a specific reason? Do we have a reason to hope, or is it never gonna happen?

I've generally been happy with the DD-WRT community, but this thread... left me a little less than thrilled. I'm fine with "it ain't in the cards", but I'd like to know why...
frylex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:01    Post subject: have we any hope? Reply with quote
Hi community, as I've already written on an other thread i've bought this wnr2000V4 by mistake. All I want to know is if there is any possibility to have a firmware for this item. That's all.
James2k
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
99.9% won't happen. The 0.1% being to cover the rare situation where someone has a change of heart. The WNR2000v3 was barely supported, the v4 will likely not even be looked at. Much like its v3 counterpart it has low end hardware e.g. small flash, low RAM. It is certainly not a good candidate for DD-WRT, which means developers will not waste their resources on such devices.

Main router:

Netgear R7000 overclocked to 1.2GHz - DD-WRT v3.0-r35965M kongac

IPv6 6in4 (HE.net), OpenVPN (with PBR and split tunnelling), Entware, dnsmasq with ipset

Easy ipset support for the R7000

VPN speed: Download: 77.96 Mbps Upload: 5.00 Mbps (AES-128-CBC HMAC-SHA1)

Yes you can get 50 Mbps+ with OpenVPN on a R7000 if you configure it properly!

Previous routers:

ASUS RT-N66U - The Dark Knight
WNR2000v3 - Bought on the cheap for someone else, neutered crap
WNR3500Lv1 - First venture into the DD-WRT world
asmagill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 21:11    Post subject: Re the WNR2000 v4 Reply with quote
Ok, I can live with that... for a Netgear, I've actually been relatively happy with the stock firmware and this WAP has been the one I've been slowest to come looking for an alternative to... I think I did see someone trying out a boot loader with one of the other wrt projects, so I may check that out, but, over all, it works for me now, so I may just coast. If it is primarily due to memory, I can be choosey about what I install...

Thanks!

--
A-Ron
veghead
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 18:32    Post subject: AR9341 and 4M Reply with quote
Hi - I'm new here despite having used dd-wrt on various devices for a very long time so go easy with the LARTs.

I'm curious to know why the WNR2000v4 is so unlikely to be supported. The specs don't seem *that* bad. According to this:
http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WNR2000v4

It uses an Atheros AR9341 and has 4M flash, 32M RAM. This seems very similar to the DIR-615 which *is* supported. So is there something else about this hardware that makes it difficult to work with?

TIA,
veg
veghead
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 21:05    Post subject: WNR2000v4 running OpenWRT? Reply with quote
For the benefit of the archives (and FWIW) enabling telnet using the method described here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/telnet.console
yielded a nice surprise:
Code:
telnet 192.168.128.1
Trying 192.168.128.1...
Connected to 192.168.128.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
 === IMPORTANT ============================
  Use 'passwd' to set your login password
  this will disable telnet and enable SSH
 ------------------------------------------

BusyBox v1.4.2 (2013-05-21 15:23:07 CST) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 KAMIKAZE (bleeding edge, r18571) ------------------
  * 10 oz Vodka       Shake well with ice and strain
  * 10 oz Triple sec  mixture into 10 shot glasses.
  * 10 oz lime juice  Salute!
 ---------------------------------------------------
root@WNR2000v4:/#

I am now happy.
Thanks for reading,
asmagill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I now have something to try tomorrow... and I'm losing confidence in the reason stated before... my first DD-WRT experience was with a router with 4 MB of flash and 8MB of RAM... the WNR2000v4 reportedly has 4 and 32, well within specs for at least a minimal install... if you don't want to support it, just say so.

Still... OpenWRT gets a visit soon.

--
A-Ron
bulwynkl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:01    Post subject: Re: WNR2000v4 running OpenWRT? Reply with quote
thanks for that - just tried it on my latest acquisition... (WNR2000v4)

wanted to use it to act as a wifi bridge... but this requires WPA to be disabled - was hoping to install DDWRT or openwrt - but if it is already running openwrt - does that mean I can program it from the command line and get the functionality I need?

I guess I have some reading ahead of me...

veghead wrote:
For the benefit of the archives (and FWIW) enabling telnet using the method described here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/telnet.console
yielded a nice surprise:
Code:
telnet 192.168.128.1
Trying 192.168.128.1...
Connected to 192.168.128.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
 === IMPORTANT ============================
  Use 'passwd' to set your login password
  this will disable telnet and enable SSH
 ------------------------------------------

BusyBox v1.4.2 (2013-05-21 15:23:07 CST) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 KAMIKAZE (bleeding edge, r18571) ------------------
  * 10 oz Vodka       Shake well with ice and strain
  * 10 oz Triple sec  mixture into 10 shot glasses.
  * 10 oz lime juice  Salute!
 ---------------------------------------------------
root@WNR2000v4:/#

I am now happy.
Thanks for reading,
CyberJoeFR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I don't know if it can help, but the WNR2000 V4 firmware seems to be open source.
You can find it at this page :
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2649/~/open-source-code-for-programmers-(gpl)
And the zip file there :
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GPL/wnr2000v4-V1.0.0.40_gpl_src.zip

I hope it can help to use V4 as a repeater.
CJ
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
asmagill wrote:
I now have something to try tomorrow... and I'm losing confidence in the reason stated before... my first DD-WRT experience was with a router with 4 MB of flash and 8MB of RAM... the WNR2000v4 reportedly has 4 and 32, well within specs for at least a minimal install... if you don't want to support it, just say so.

Still... OpenWRT gets a visit soon.

--
A-Ron

Visit openwrt and use it, it surely is your choice to do so, but trolling comments such as what you keep displaying here won't get the unit supported any sooner.

Advice to you: don't invest in 'vaporware' type wl routers if you intend on running a specific firmware on it. Invest in supported units only, not units that 'may get support'.

And i wouldn't really expect this unit to get supported due to its flash restraints of being a netgear unit, netgear has a tendency to store board data in the flash ram, so you don't ever get the full space, and with this having 4MB of flash to begin with, that's already pretty tight, min requirements for dd-wrt on an atheros unit is 4MB of flash - with 4MB being the full 4megs, not some of it.. so no, i wouldn't expect the devs here to go out of their way to port for this unit, and definitely not happen if they don't get one of these units on their desk to work with.

Also going to lock this thread to prevent anymore trolling comments etc., should the dev team decide to port for this unit, they can then unlock the thread and post test builds thereof.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: