Asus RT-N66U

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
logistiker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:29    Post subject: Compile custom modules for rndis (4g lte modem) support Reply with quote
I downloaded kernel 3.9.4, copied .config_bcmmips to .config in the kernel directory. Then I ran this:

make menuconfig ARCH=mips

I selected these for modules:

CONFIG_USB_NET_CDCETHER=m
CONFIG_USB_NET_RNDIS_HOST=m
CONFIG_USB_NET_CDC_SUBSET=m
CONFIG_USB_GADGET=m
CONFIG_USB_ETH=m
CONFIG_USB_ETH_RNDIS=y

Then compiled the modules:

make modules ARCH=mips

After it compiled the modules, I copied these modules to /jffs:

From net/usb:

cdc_ether.ko
cdc_subset.ko
rndis_host.ko
usbnet.ko

From usb/gadget:

g_ether.ko
libcomposite.ko
udc-core.ko

I proceeded to try to load these modules:

insmod g_ether.ko and then checked the log:

Dec 31 00:34:12 gimli kernel: g_ether: Unknown symbol usb_interface_id (err 0)
Dec 31 00:34:12 gimli kernel: g_ether: Unknown symbol usb_assign_descriptors (err 0)
Dec 31 00:34:12 gimli kernel: g_ether: Unknown symbol usb_string_id (err 0)
Dec 31 00:34:12 gimli kernel: g_ether: Unknown symbol usb_string_ids_tab (err 0)
Dec 31 00:34:12 gimli kernel: g_ether: Unknown symbol usb_composite_unregister (err 0)
Dec 31 00:34:12 gimli kernel: g_ether: Unknown symbol config_ep_by_speed (err 0)
Dec 31 00:34:12 gimli kernel: g_ether: Unknown symbol usb_add_function (err 0)
Dec 31 00:34:12 gimli kernel: g_ether: Unknown symbol usb_composite_probe (err 0)
Dec 31 00:34:12 gimli kernel: g_ether: Unknown symbol usb_composite_overwrite_options (err 0)
Dec 31 00:34:12 gimli kernel: g_ether: Unknown symbol warn_slowpath_null (err 0)
Dec 31 00:34:12 gimli kernel: g_ether: Unknown symbol usb_ep_autoconfig (err 0)
Dec 31 00:34:12 gimli kernel: g_ether: Unknown symbol usb_add_config (err 0)
Dec 31 00:34:12 gimli kernel: g_ether: Unknown symbol usb_free_all_descriptors (err 0)

Same for others:

Dec 31 00:34:57 gimli kernel: usbnet: Unknown symbol warn_slowpath_null (err 0)
Dec 31 00:35:06 gimli kernel: cdc_ether: Unknown symbol usbnet_manage_power (err 0)
Dec 31 00:35:06 gimli kernel: cdc_ether: Unknown symbol usbnet_get_ethernet_addr (err 0)
Dec 31 00:35:06 gimli kernel: cdc_ether: Unknown symbol usbnet_suspend (err 0)
Dec 31 00:35:06 gimli kernel: cdc_ether: Unknown symbol usbnet_get_endpoints (err 0)
Dec 31 00:35:06 gimli kernel: cdc_ether: Unknown symbol usbnet_disconnect (err 0)
Dec 31 00:35:06 gimli kernel: cdc_ether: Unknown symbol usbnet_probe (err 0)
Dec 31 00:35:06 gimli kernel: cdc_ether: Unknown symbol usbnet_resume (err 0)
Dec 31 00:36:56 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_open (err 0)
Dec 31 00:36:56 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_skb_return (err 0)
Dec 31 00:36:56 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_tx_timeout (err 0)
Dec 31 00:36:56 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_suspend (err 0)
Dec 31 00:36:56 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_start_xmit (err 0)
Dec 31 00:36:56 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol warn_slowpath_null (err 0)
Dec 31 00:36:56 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_stop (err 0)
Dec 31 00:36:56 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_generic_cdc_bind (err 0)
Dec 31 00:36:56 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_disconnect (err 0)
Dec 31 00:36:56 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_cdc_unbind (err 0)
Dec 31 00:36:56 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_probe (err 0)
Dec 31 00:36:56 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_resume (err 0)

Would anyone know what I need to do to get these modules to compile and load on my router? I'd like to get my LTE modem working for wan on the my RT-N66U router.
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't need all those modules in order to get U770 working, it should be enough with 2.

insmod usbnet
insmod rndis_host

Did you use the .config_bcmmips from same svn revision as the build on your router? Looks like the symbollist of your built modules doesn't match the kernel configuration.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
linuxares wrote:
RMerlin wrote:
If you want top performance, stick with either original or my FW.

If you want top features, go with DD-WRT.

Anything in-between: go Tomato.

Until yesterday I was happily using one of Mega's N66 versions (dd-wrt.v24-20363_NEWD_2_K2.6_mega-RT-N66_64K), but was fed up of the 2.4 ghz wifi not working (we got 1 mbps at best regardless of settings), and I read that Merlin had fixed this (though it now seems that it's only fixed in as-yet unstable prerelease versions). So I tried his version (which is lovely but still doesn't fix the wifi problems) and, further, causes the client end router to crash while connected via (PPTP) VPN connection to the Asus. Only resetting the (client) router will fix it. The Asus, on the other hand, remains stable throughout.

No idea what/if I can do something to stop this happening - if anyone has any smart ideas I'd love to hear them!

Many thanks to Merlin for all the hard work!
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
linuxares wrote:
RMerlin wrote:
If you want top performance, stick with either original or my FW.

If you want top features, go with DD-WRT.

Anything in-between: go Tomato.

I have to ask you since I seen you on both Tomato's forum, here and SNB.

I tried your release, Stock, Tomato (Shibby) and now DD-WRT. All of them I got the same problem with the wireless.

They're all on 2.4GHz and 5GHz they get stuck on maximum 65Mbps wireless. I tried turning off 5GHz and it's still on 65Mbps wireless.

Placing the router at another place? Doesn't mather, played with wireless settnings, doesn't really mather. Just a couple of seconds and then back to 65.

I'm sorry if this doesn't fit in here, I got a RT-N66U Ver B1.
Wanted to report it, incase other DD-WRT users has it. Right now I run DD-WRT 3.X 21676 BIG.

Without knowing what device you are trying to connect it's hard to answer you. This sounds like a single stream device connecting with 20 MHz channel width - which is normal with the majority of mobile devices currently available for instance.
logistiker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
You don't need all those modules in order to get U770 working, it should be enough with 2.

insmod usbnet
insmod rndis_host

Did you use the .config_bcmmips from same svn revision as the build on your router? Looks like the symbollist of your built modules doesn't match the kernel configuration.

It's funny that you already knew it's a u770 even though I didn't mention it. Smile I didn't think about using the .config_bcmmips from that revision. I'll update my checkout to that revision and try that.
logistiker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:

insmod usbnet
insmod rndis_host

This time I compiled linux-3.9 within the kernel @ 21676. Obviously this doesn't work in its default state at that revision. brcm stuff wasn't checked in until r21713. So I checked brcm out from that revision into linux-3.9 @ 21676. I also had to comment out ralink rt3352 stuff (it's pointing to a directory which doesn't exist in drivers/net/wireless/Kconfig. Then I had to symlink several directories inside brcm/mipsel to its parent directory. Then I ran make menuconfig ARCH=mips, enabled usbnet and rndis_host stuff. It compiled and then I copied the necessary drivers over to the router. I tried to load usbnet.ko:

insmod usbnet.ko

kern.log:

Jul 21 22:07:24 gimli kernel: usbnet: Unknown symbol warn_slowpath_null (err 0)

insmod rndis_host.ko

Jul 21 23:20:55 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_open (err 0)
Jul 21 23:20:55 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_skb_return (err 0)
Jul 21 23:20:55 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_tx_timeout (err 0)
Jul 21 23:20:55 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_suspend (err 0)
Jul 21 23:20:55 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_start_xmit (err 0)
Jul 21 23:20:55 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol warn_slowpath_null (err 0)
Jul 21 23:20:55 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_stop (err 0)
Jul 21 23:20:55 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_generic_cdc_bind (err 0)
Jul 21 23:20:55 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_disconnect (err 0)
Jul 21 23:20:55 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_cdc_unbind (err 0)
Jul 21 23:20:55 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_probe (err 0)
Jul 21 23:20:55 gimli kernel: rndis_host: Unknown symbol usbnet_resume (err 0)

Obviously rndis_host depends on usbnet so if usbnet won't load, then neither will rndis_host.

I'm trying to understand how to fix this problem:

Unknown symbol warn_slowpath_null
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
logistiker wrote:

It's funny that you already knew it's a u770 even though I didn't mention it. Smile

Just looking at your previous posts, you don't have that many. Smile

U770 is also the only Mobile broadband dongle I am aware of that uses NDIS directly on its interface which is unfortunate since it will not be possible to add a driver and change WAN connection handling in dd-wrt for a single device which does not conform to what has become a standard among other mfgrs.

It is a matter of flash space and what to prioritize, dd-wrt still hasn't got handling of Sierra direct ip, cdc_ncm, and cdc_ether, those 3 protocols would cover around 50 devices altogether from Sierra, Huawei, and ZTE.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
logistiker wrote:

It's funny that you already knew it's a u770 even though I didn't mention it. Smile

U770 is also the only Mobile broadband dongle I am aware of that uses NDIS directly on its interface which is unfortunate since it will not be possible to add a driver and change WAN connection handling in dd-wrt for a single device which does not conform to what has become a standard among other mfgrs.

It is a matter of flash space and what to prioritize, dd-wrt still hasn't got handling of Sierra direct ip, cdc_ncm, and cdc_ether, those 3 protocols would cover around 50 devices altogether from Sierra, Huawei, and ZTE.

I tried changing this file and compiled the modules in the dd-wrt checkout again but it didn't seem to make a difference. Maybe this problem can only be fixed with a new kernel in dd-wrt?

Code:

Index: include/asm-generic/bug.h
===================================================================
--- include/asm-generic/bug.h   (revision 21676)
+++ include/asm-generic/bug.h   (working copy)
@@ -61,7 +61,6 @@
  * appear at runtime.  Use the versions with printk format strings
  * to provide better diagnostics.
  */
-#ifndef __WARN_TAINT
 extern __printf(3, 4)
 void warn_slowpath_fmt(const char *file, const int line,
                       const char *fmt, ...);
@@ -74,12 +73,6 @@
 #define __WARN_printf(arg...)  warn_slowpath_fmt(__FILE__, __LINE__, arg)
 #define __WARN_printf_taint(taint, arg...)                             \
        warn_slowpath_fmt_taint(__FILE__, __LINE__, taint, arg)
-#else
-#define __WARN()               __WARN_TAINT(TAINT_WARN)
-#define __WARN_printf(arg...)  do { printk(arg); __WARN(); } while (0)
-#define __WARN_printf_taint(taint, arg...)                             \
-       do { printk(arg); __WARN_TAINT(taint); } while (0)
-#endif

#ifndef WARN_ON
 #define WARN_ON(condition) ({                                          \
logistiker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
logistiker wrote:
LOM wrote:
logistiker wrote:

I tried changing this file and compiled the modules in the dd-wrt checkout again but it didn't seem to make a difference. Maybe this problem can only be fixed with a new kernel in dd-wrt?

Code:

Index: include/asm-generic/bug.h
===================================================================
--- include/asm-generic/bug.h   (revision 21676)
+++ include/asm-generic/bug.h   (working copy)
@@ -61,7 +61,6 @@
  * appear at runtime.  Use the versions with printk format strings
  * to provide better diagnostics.
  */
-#ifndef __WARN_TAINT
 extern __printf(3, 4)
 void warn_slowpath_fmt(const char *file, const int line,
                       const char *fmt, ...);
@@ -74,12 +73,6 @@
 #define __WARN_printf(arg...)  warn_slowpath_fmt(__FILE__, __LINE__, arg)
 #define __WARN_printf_taint(taint, arg...)                             \
        warn_slowpath_fmt_taint(__FILE__, __LINE__, taint, arg)
-#else
-#define __WARN()               __WARN_TAINT(TAINT_WARN)
-#define __WARN_printf(arg...)  do { printk(arg); __WARN(); } while (0)
-#define __WARN_printf_taint(taint, arg...)                             \
-       do { printk(arg); __WARN_TAINT(taint); } while (0)
-#endif

#ifndef WARN_ON
 #define WARN_ON(condition) ({                                          \

The point of this was to get WANT_WARN_ON_SLOWPATH to be defined for kernel/panic.c but I fear that's built into the kernel in the dd-wrt firmware and is disabled which is blocking me from loading these modules.
logistiker
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:

While I would like dd-wrt to support it, I understand these things take time. In the mean time, I would just like to get dd-wrt to load these modules so I can bring up usb0. Then I can manually configure the nvram vars to use usb0 as the wan interface.
linuxares
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
RMerlin wrote:

Without knowing what device you are trying to connect it's hard to answer you. This sounds like a single stream device connecting with 20 MHz channel width - which is normal with the majority of mobile devices currently available for instance.

Oh, terribly sorry!

I got an Asus Laptop with a Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG WLAN card. (Only 2.4GHz)

On the 5GHz band I got 2 Android phones (Galaxy S2 and Galaxy S3 (slimrom on the S3)).
I got some other units on the 2.4GHz band such as 3DS, Wii and Xbox 360.

Wii and 3DS are completely turned off, so they shouldn't interfere.
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
linuxares wrote:
RMerlin wrote:

Oh, terribly sorry!

I got an Asus Laptop with a Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG WLAN card. (Only 2.4GHz)

On the 5GHz band I got 2 Android phones (Galaxy S2 and Galaxy S3 (slimrom on the S3)).
I got some other units on the 2.4GHz band such as 3DS, Wii and Xbox 360.

Wii and 3DS are completely turned off, so they shouldn't interfere.

65 Mbits is normal for the two phones.

The Atheros is a single-stream interface, which means the maximum it will do is 150 Mbits (with 40 MHz channel width - half that with 20 Mhz channel width). If it still connects at only 65 Mbits then make sure your router is configured for 40 MHz (note that if there is too much interference on the 2.4 GHz band it will drop to 20 MHz), and that the network card itself is properly configured in Device Manager to work both at 20 MHz and 40 MHz.

Getting 150 Mbits out of a single-stream device will always be difficult on the 2.4 GHz band due to interference. Personally I would upgrade that single-stream junk (sorry...) with an Intel Centrino card if your laptop supports it. That's what I did with my Asus K55 - a 23$ Centrino card gave me dual-band, 300 Mbits support and Bluetooth.
linuxares
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
RMerlin wrote:

65 Mbits is normal for the two phones.

The Atheros is a single-stream interface, which means the maximum it will do is 150 Mbits (with 40 MHz channel width - half that with 20 Mhz channel width). If it still connects at only 65 Mbits then make sure your router is configured for 40 MHz (note that if there is too much interference on the 2.4 GHz band it will drop to 20 MHz), and that the network card itself is properly configured in Device Manager to work both at 20 MHz and 40 MHz.

Getting 150 Mbits out of a single-stream device will always be difficult on the 2.4 GHz band due to interference. Personally I would upgrade that single-stream junk (sorry...) with an Intel Centrino card if your laptop supports it. That's what I did with my Asus K55 - a 23$ Centrino card gave me dual-band, 300 Mbits support and Bluetooth.

Ah, that explains it then. Well I have been checking on the Centrino 6250 card and Asus definitely has drivers for it on their website for my laptop model (X53Sc, it's the K53SC with a i7).
gothmog1065
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, I've been trying to get DDWRT onto my N66U, but I"m failing miserably. First time I had a weird issue where the lan ports wouldn't work at all, but wireless would (It seemed to flash all the way, and I was easily able to flash it back to the factory).

This time I completely screwed up by leaving my VPN running while flashing. Smart, I know.

I attempted to flash: dd-wrt.v24-1676_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT=n66u.trx

I pretty much ruined it so I went into recovery to flash back to the stock firmware (N66U_3.0.0.4_370.trx (renamed from .bin)). After doing that flash, my router has gone into what I assume to be a boot cycle. Power (and lan # when my computer is plugged in) stays on solid, and about every 10-15 seconds all the lights will flash, go off, then repeat. It's been doing this for 30 minutes now. I can get into the recovery fine, I flashed the NVRAM and did the nvram+commit thing after flashing, but it's still doing it.

What am I doing wrong?

Also as a side note for my next attempt, using putty to flash the NVRAM, I used mtd-erase -d nvram and reboot to clear then reboot between each flashing.

Addendum: I'm back to when things were doing weird things the first time. I can access the recovery, the wireless works just fine, I can log into the router via wireless, but I cannot use a LAN connection. My PC shows I have a connection with no internet, but it won't ping 192.168.1.1, nor will it load the GUI in the browser, yet my laptop can do both fine. What am I missing, am I flashing the wrong files to start?
fustat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
gothmog1065 wrote:
Okay, I've been trying to get DDWRT onto my N66U, but I"m failing miserably. First time I had a weird issue where the lan ports wouldn't work at all, but wireless would (It seemed to flash all the way, and I was easily able to flash it back to the factory).

This time I completely screwed up by leaving my VPN running while flashing. Smart, I know.

I attempted to flash: dd-wrt.v24-1676_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT=n66u.trx

I pretty much ruined it so I went into recovery to flash back to the stock firmware (N66U_3.0.0.4_370.trx (renamed from .bin)). After doing that flash, my router has gone into what I assume to be a boot cycle. Power (and lan # when my computer is plugged in) stays on solid, and about every 10-15 seconds all the lights will flash, go off, then repeat. It's been doing this for 30 minutes now. I can get into the recovery fine, I flashed the NVRAM and did the nvram+commit thing after flashing, but it's still doing it.

What am I doing wrong?

Also as a side note for my next attempt, using putty to flash the NVRAM, I used mtd-erase -d nvram and reboot to clear then reboot between each flashing.

Addendum: I'm back to when things were doing weird things the first time. I can access the recovery, the wireless works just fine, I can log into the router via wireless, but I cannot use a LAN connection. My PC shows I have a connection with no internet, but it won't ping 192.168.1.1, nor will it load the GUI in the browser, yet my laptop can do both fine. What am I missing, am I flashing the wrong files to start?

When you flashed with DD-WRT, after connecting with WiFi did it misidentify the device as a WRT54GL?
Are your LAN ports unresponsive?

I had the same issue, even after rolling back to stock (LAN ports work again) then reflashing with DD-WRT (LAN ports stopped working).

I eventually solved this by dropping Tomato (tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-110-Mega-VPN-64K) on it first, using the Asus Firmware recovery tool (it will refuse to do it via web interface) and then installing DD-WRT.

LAN ports worked thereafter and device is identified correctly.

Give it a shot and tell me if it works.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 167, 168, 169  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 126 of 169
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: