why does the router restart itself?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
scout
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:14    Post subject: why does the router restart itself? Reply with quote
I have 2 router with the same, following configuration. One at home, one at the office.

They are both Linksys WRT54G (v.3.1)
Firmware: DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) mini

The one at home has been up for almost 50 days but the one at the office won't stay up for even a week. It occasionally rests or restarts with no apparently reason. I'll be connected wirelessly, lose the connection and when I log in it says it has only been up for a minute or so. While the reboot is merely a nuisance, the router appears to work properly in every other regard.

Any suggestions on how I can determine the cause of this occasional restart and what I might do about it?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
voiajor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Assuming they are both running the same config under DD-WRT, it could be any number of things causing a random reboot. I've had this problem before too, but found that the most common cause was overheating issues. I put my router on a flat surface with ALL holes open to the air, making sure there is plenty of air circulation.

Could be a physical component on the router, could be an undocumented bug in the firmware that is only manifested when someone does something on one router and not the other, faulty power supply pack... the list goes on. I doubt it's any of that though. Always has been a heating issue with me.

Might be interesting to set up a log of system activity on the router to run all the time. If the router never reboots when there isn't an active connection to it, that could be a clue. If it reboots under a lot of stress, that could also be something to look into.
scout
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
The resetting router is in a spot with better circulation than the other although it does have a replacement power adapter. The set-ups are nearly identical although the resetting one is not acting as a DHCP server nor does it have any port forwarding assignments. It is just repeating the DSL connection through wired and wireless connections.

Overall, the problematic one is doing less work than the other which hasn't blinked in months.

How do I setup a log on the router to track reset?

Thanks in advance!
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
It could also be the number of connections, have a look at router slowdown in the wiki.

Donater
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: