Asus RT-AC66U uses 100% CPU on Download/Upload

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
CaMeX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:17    Post subject: Asus RT-AC66U uses 100% CPU on Download/Upload Reply with quote
Hello

I just bought a very fine Asus RT-AC66U Router..
Then i put DD-WRT on it..
But everytime i download with 80+mbit the router use 100% and crashing the local wifi and other services..
I have looked everywhere in this forum, without a answer..

I have upgradede to DD-WRT rev. 22118

I really need help, i love dd-wrt and using SNMP to monitoring my connection..
But everytime i hit 80+mbit download, the router use all the cpu and SNMP + Local Wifi Crashes..

Everyone with same problem?
Sponsor
jackykoning
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
try kong builds.
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC/

it will still run against the limit. only the limit is higher.
because there is a problem they are trying to solve but it has less prio than upgrading to new kernels.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried Kong's build..
Still the same, no difference Sad

Would be cool, with a fix..
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
jackykoning wrote:
try kong builds.
http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC/

it will still run against the limit. only the limit is higher.
because there is a problem they are trying to solve but it has less prio than upgrading to new kernels.

No this is not the case anymore, this was true, when I did not have the right to checkin to dd-wrt directly. I maintained my own source base syncing parts from dd-wrt from time to time.

But for several month now I have write access to dd-wrt svn, so basically you can call me a dd-wrt dev team member.

This means I have added pretty all my features enhancements to dd-wrt. Thus BS builds have the same speeds now.

As for the 80+MBit Problem. If Access Restrictions/FW Logging are used 80Mbps is about the max this unit can route. Without Access Restrictions ... it can handle around 125Mbps.

If you use QOS etc. on OEM FW you will experience the same problems. OEM fws are only faster if you use standard features, which allows them to activate hw acceleration drivers. These features are proprietary and we can't/want use them.

While there may be some performance gains in the future don't expect to much.

If you need a router that can handle >150Mbps in all situations you will need to get one of the new dual core units e.g. Netgear R6250, Asus AC56U ...

Once I receive my R6250 I'll be working on builds for it. I can't tell how well the current AC56U build is working right now.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

If you need a router that can handle >150Mbps in all situations you will need to get one of the new dual core units e.g. Netgear R6250, Asus AC56U ...

Once I receive my R6250 I'll be working on builds for it. I can't tell how well the current AC56U build is working right now.

As a reference, I did some benchmarking with my RT-AC56U. Without CTF enabled, my own firmware can hit 240 Mbits of WAN-LAN speed. 280 Mbits if you overclock it to 1 GHz.

So I would assume DD-WRT to hit around 200 Mbits with that same router (provided DD-WRT is fully optimized for that router yet).

You might be able to get some boost out of your RT-AC66U by overclocking it, however I have no idea how much this SoC can be safely overclocked.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
RMerlin wrote:
<Kong> wrote:

As a reference, I did some benchmarking with my RT-AC56U. Without CTF enabled, my own firmware can hit 240 Mbits of WAN-LAN speed. 280 Mbits if you overclock it to 1 GHz.

So I would assume DD-WRT to hit around 200 Mbits with that same router (provided DD-WRT is fully optimized for that router yet).

You might be able to get some boost out of your RT-AC66U by overclocking it, however I have no idea how much this SoC can be safely overclocked.

These numbers sound realistic and before I did benchmarking I estimated ~200Mbps, but there still seems to be some kernel problem.

The thing is, in my benchmarks I get around 190Mbps RX but only 100 TX and the TX number is the one that bugs me as my old 450Mhz WNR3500L can do that.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
RMerlin wrote:
<Kong> wrote:

These numbers sound realistic and before I did benchmarking I estimated ~200Mbps, but there still seems to be some kernel problem.

The thing is, in my benchmarks I get around 190Mbps RX but only 100 TX and the TX number is the one that bugs me as my old 450Mhz WNR3500L can do that.

I can't remember in which direction I did my iperf test.
CaMeX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay thx for the info..

Just werid.. i had a Linksys E4200 (450Mhz) before..
And the Asus RT-AC66U is 600Mhz?
And the Linksys worked just fine? no problems at all??
That sounds werid to me?

And no all services off except SNMP.. no Traffic Counter and Loggin or anything..

And one more thing.. i had a NetGear WNDR3700 before the Linksys E4200.. and the Netgear could handle my 100/100 optic fiber connection too.. even with QoS and Rules?

It sounds very strange to me? a 600Mhz Router can't handle it?
Every time i test.. i only use my connection one way.. its Download or uploading.. not at the same time..
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
CaMeX wrote:
Okay thx for the info..

Just werid.. i had a Linksys E4200 (450Mhz) before..
And the Asus RT-AC66U is 600Mhz?
And the Linksys worked just fine? no problems at all??
That sounds werid to me?

And no all services off except SNMP.. no Traffic Counter and Loggin or anything..

And one more thing.. i had a NetGear WNDR3700 before the Linksys E4200.. and the Netgear could handle my 100/100 optic fiber connection too.. even with QoS and Rules?

It sounds very strange to me? a 600Mhz Router can't handle it?
Every time i test.. i only use my connection one way.. its Download or uploading.. not at the same time..

Yep that's why I said I still believe there is some problem with the ethernet driver. Either DMA or txqueue prob, in the ethernet driver.
I don't have a spare router right now and for this I would need a setup where I can just compile flash and test in order to add some debugging code in order to understand what the current driver does.

So my hands are tied right now and I'm waiting for my R6250 which may exhibit the same problem, but at least will give me an exlusive unit that will be just sitting there for testing and debugging.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Kong

Is there any news about the AC66U Router??
Im running Merlin Build in mine atm.
I Would be cool, if your firmware version of dd-wrt was ready for the ac66u model?
chris99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's already out I have it running on mine 22200
E4200v1 BS wrt r17865
CaMeX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
And the CPU problem is fixed too??
Its not using 100% when it hits 80-90mbit from WAN to LAN.. and it don't starts to effect all other services, the dd-wrt is running?
rashire
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having the same issues too, although it doesn't seem to be entirely bandwidth related for me. I have 75/75 fios, and that will 100% the cpu downloading at full speed, but also using traffic over vpn (router is set up as a client) maxes out the cpu in the 40mbit+ range. To get more performance should I be looking for a new router?

Experienced on Kong builds, 24200, 25015
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
VPN is CPU intensive doing the encryption.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: