Best settings for Buffalo WHR-HP-G54

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
thecomputerpitstop
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:05    Post subject: Best settings for Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 Reply with quote
What is the best DD-WRT settings for Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 for maximum distance with a 7dbi antenna?
Sponsor
anectine17
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are a lot of settings. I don't think anyone will or even can tell you the best settings for your particular setup. I will say, that the wireless transmit setting should be set at 10mW and left that way. The HP's amp will take care of boosting the transmit.
Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
im_electronic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
what type of internet connection?
what is being done on the network?
are you getting advertised speeds?
how many wireless clients? how many wired?
what range needs covering?
any special requirements?
what security is being used?
what tpye of clients are connecting wirelessly(b/g)?

I could go on...
thecomputerpitstop
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
what type of internet connection?
Cable 3Meg

what is being done on the network?
Standard office work, i.e., occasional FTP, email nothing highly intensive

are you getting advertised speeds?
Yes, just want to ensure that the hotspot being set up has maximum range.

how many wireless clients? how many wired?
A dozen wireless only.

what range needs covering?
A medium size three story office building.

any special requirements?
None other then what has already been mentioned.

what security is being used?
Currently, only hotspot sign-up and sign-in. No WEP.

what tpye of clients are connecting wirelessly(b/g)?
Small business owners.

Appreciate the assistance.
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
As you may have seen, you have asked a question that is surrounded by much controversy on this forum.

Some people think the mw-setting in dd-wrt (SP2 and up) on a WHR-HP-G54 controls the radio and thus defines the power that is sent into the amplifier. These people therefore say that you should limit the power to 10mw, since the amp will amplify this to a lot more.

Others say that dd-wrt and the Broadcom driver somehow translate the mw setting so that it controls the power that eventually comes out of the amplifier.

I have myself just ordered a WHR-HP-G54 unit. What I will do is start at 10mw and see if this, in combination with my 10dbi omni antenna, gives me the range I need. If not, I will slowly step up the power until I do. But I will not go over 100mw, since I believe this may hurt both the link quality and the components in the unit.

In other words, my advice is to do with as little power as you can based on field tests.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
10mw for the power setting, it si seperate than the boradcom, and ihave been using an HP unit for three months now on the latest v24 in repeater mode and it connects where a WRT54G wouldn't.

in the IP connection settings in the admin tab set IP ports to 4096 and the timouts to 900.

in wireless settings used mixed mode

if your hotspot management works for you stick with it

if the dozen people all connect at once and are being intensive withtheir use, there will be a noticable drop. if it is just e-mail and web all should be fine.

you may want to use the QoS to have it share the bandwidth, and prioritize some traffic over others.
voiajor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd be interested to see how it goes for ro-maniak with a 10 dBi antenna. I have DD-WRT set to 10 mW transmit power on my WHR-HP-G54, and bought a DLink 7 dBi omnidirectional antenna only to find that it doesn't do anything. Not a thing. I get the same output whether I use the stock antenna, the one I just bought, or no antenna at all attached to the unit.

What's frustrating is that I want to use the unit to transmit across nearly a 2 mile diameter using an omnidirectional antenna, but the power issue with the amp and all the guessing about what to do and what's really going on is making that idea look kind of risky. I don't want to toast the amp, but I've heard people using the unit for months with 100 mW and more with no problems. I'm just confused.

I still tend to think that we have to change a setting somewhere. Changing antennas doesn't seem to be getting the job done.
ro-maniak
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
No news yet, as I am still waiting for the unit to be shipped by Brainslayer... Rolling Eyes

I would be very surprised if my antenna did nothing for me. It is a meter long rod that we have used for over a year with a WRT54GL with great benefit.

[edit]It's this one, although they have changed the design and it was cheaper before. Well, a 10dbi omni rod from this show anyway and the one I linked gives you a very good idea of what I am talking about. http://www.kokonderdelen.com/easyshopmaker/easyshopmaker_2.html

Without the antenna on the roof connected - and the stock antenna connected instead - our clients throught the area see no ap whatsoever.

With the antenna, we had good coverage (until the wrt's radio gave out...).

I'll let you know as soon as I have news.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,
I have read a lot of posts, but i didnot find something about my problem.
I have buffalo whr-hp-g54 with dd-wrt.v23_SP2generic. I'm receiveing the internet via wireless and I want to connect my notebook to the router via wireless.

When a put the router in regime "Access point" i have connection only between notebook and router (with same SSID like a network), but not with the network.
The wireless card of the notebook is internal and is configurated to obtain an IP address automatically.
What other I have to do?
See attached file.

When I put the router in regime "Client" and connect my notebook to the router via cable I have an internet.

Thanks.

P.S.
Excuse me for my English.

buffalo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.92 KB
 Viewed:  11110 Time(s)

buffalo.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: