Slow speed on Linksys e3000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
devgeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:59    Post subject: Slow speed on Linksys e3000 Reply with quote
Hi,

I have a Linksys e3000 router running the v24-sp2 14929 build (8/12/10).

Before I get into further router configuration details, maybe I can save a whole lot of time. My ISP is Comcast and I have a 54mbps line. I ran speedtest when connected to ethernet and I get the full 54mbps each time. When I test on Wifi, I'm only seeing 20mbps (give or take a few). Is it even possible for me to see 54mbps via wifi if I'm getting 54mbps through ethernet? All I have found is one contradicting article after another so I simply do not know if what I'm trying to do is even possible and I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels at this point.

So, I set my router to be wireless-n only on both 2.4 and 5ghz bands. Both bands are also set to 40mhz. Both bands are using WPA-2 encryption with AES algorithm. My speed tests (using speedtest.com) are taken less than 6 feet from the router.

2.4ghz setup
The 2.4ghz band in my area is pretty congested. There are a number of networks in my area on 2.4ghz, but regardless, I am using channel 11 which (using in my wifi analyzer app on my galaxy s4) only has one other network. Outside of the default settings, I've tried setting the beacon interval to 75 with the Fragmentation and RTS Threshold to 2304. I've played around with the TX Power and currently have it at 150. I enabled Bluetooth Coexistence Mode.

5.0ghz setup
I tried many of the same things with 5.0ghz that I did with 2.4. There are no other routers in my area using 5ghz according to my wifi analyzer app. I've also had my galaxy s4 as close as practically touching the router and yet still have not seen over 25mbps. I'm using channel 157 (lower). I currently have the TX Power set to 150.

I've been debating for several weeks now on getting a new router but I honestly have no clue if it'll even make a difference.
Sponsor
wats6831
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have used E3000's on my home network for several years. Like you I started with DD-WRT but had some major issues with wireless and port forwarding. I moved to Tomato USB and the difference in performance was night and day.

Also, WPA induces a quite large performance overhead. I would use a MAC address filter and disable any security encryption.

SOME stable builds of DD-WRT seem to have a degredation of wireless performance over time, for me DD-WRT wireless performance has been very hit or miss, more miss than hit.
messerchmidt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
update to a newer build, should fix the issue. you may want to add a usb powered laptop cooler below as my 3000s act funny when they get too hot
HRS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:57    Post subject: Try 22118. It's working fine... Reply with quote
...on my E3000, where 21061 had disconnect issues. Speed seems to be fine as well, a lot better than 21061.

NOTE: There does, however, seem to be a problem with the 5 GHz radio settings. When set to the default of "Mixed" wi-fi protocols, it wouldn't work. When set at 5-GHz (N-only), it's okay.

By the way, build 22118 now shows the (reported) temperature of each radio, reading now 47C and 44C on 2.4 and 5 GBHz radios, respectively.

Edit: I meant to say "CPU" temps.

Last edited by HRS on Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:22; edited 1 time in total
messerchmidt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
using
k.26 DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/24/13) mega - build 22118 on my e3000s, no issues.

i dont see the radio temps, and the cpu temp says not available. I have the cpu at 533 via a comamnd. My e3000s are actively cooled and have had heatsinks added to the various chips inside.
messerchmidt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30664-5-ways-to-fix-slow-80211n-speed,&usg=ALkJrhh4z3px_uoZ6W4GmNHtG0cFAB7JWQ
HRS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
messerchmidt wrote:
using
k.26 DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/24/13) mega - build 22118 on my e3000s, no issues.

i dont see the radio temps, and the cpu temp says not available. I have the cpu at 533 via a comamnd. My e3000s are actively cooled and have had heatsinks added to the various chips inside.

I meant the CPU temps, sorry. I see them in Status/Router in the CPU box, listed as "WL0" and "WL1."
johnhc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
devgeek, I suspect you are seeing the speeds that DD-WRT FW offers. I am still testing and deciding if I should go back to vendor code. Please see my thread. Enjoy, John.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is exactly what is going on:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=176395
devgeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you everyone for your replies. I haven't been getting notifications of the replies (even though I have notifications checked on this thread) so I had no idea that all these were here till now.

I'm going to try to update the dd-wrt firmware, but question about that. What is the latest version of firmware that is compatible with my router and where do I download it? The wiki here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E3000 says that I'm only supposed to download specific versions of the firmware and I thought I downloaded the latest compatible version.

I did a little digging on the DSCP Comcast bug (http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=176395) and it looks like this might possibly be the issue affecting me. I downloaded Wireshark and looked at a few dozen ipv4 packets and the DSCP codes on the packets are either 0x00 and 0x08.

Question about this though. If I'm able to get the full 52mbps if I'm connected to the LAN on my router, then how can this DSCP thing be the cause of my issue? Is DSCP something that is wifi specific? Forgive me for my ignorance on this, but I have done little reading on what DSCP is about.
Lightsword
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
devgeek wrote:
Thank you everyone for your replies. I haven't been getting notifications of the replies (even though I have notifications checked on this thread) so I had no idea that all these were here till now.

I'm going to try to update the dd-wrt firmware, but question about that. What is the latest version of firmware that is compatible with my router and where do I download it? The wiki here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E3000 says that I'm only supposed to download specific versions of the firmware and I thought I downloaded the latest compatible version.

I did a little digging on the DSCP Comcast bug (http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=176395) and it looks like this might possibly be the issue affecting me. I downloaded Wireshark and looked at a few dozen ipv4 packets and the DSCP codes on the packets are either 0x00 and 0x08.

Question about this though. If I'm able to get the full 52mbps if I'm connected to the LAN on my router, then how can this DSCP thing be the cause of my issue? Is DSCP something that is wifi specific? Forgive me for my ignorance on this, but I have done little reading on what DSCP is about.

Maybe the K3.x builds fix the driver, those should be compatible. Or you can use my scripts from what I linked before.
devgeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Lightsword. I'm trying to get the scripts entered in, but I'm not sure what to do. From what I understand with the startup scripts wiki (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Startup_Scripts), I can enter the init script (insmod xt_DSCP.ko) into the Commands multiline box and click Save Startup, but where do I save the wan up stuff (iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i vlan2 -j DSCP —set-dscp 0)?

Obviously I'm still pretty new to this world. I've been trying to read as much as possible here on dd-wrt.com, but the documentation is really heavy and not really geared towards more beginner-types like myself.

Needless to say, I really appreciate the help.
Lightsword
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
devgeek wrote:
Thanks Lightsword. I'm trying to get the scripts entered in, but I'm not sure what to do. From what I understand with the startup scripts wiki (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Startup_Scripts), I can enter the init script (insmod xt_DSCP.ko) into the Commands multiline box and click Save Startup, but where do I save the wan up stuff (iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i vlan2 -j DSCP —set-dscp 0)?

Obviously I'm still pretty new to this world. I've been trying to read as much as possible here on dd-wrt.com, but the documentation is really heavy and not really geared towards more beginner-types like myself.

Needless to say, I really appreciate the help.

These scripts were designed for tomatousb but there is little difference between how they work on dd-wrt, you can probably just put the insmod command right above the other in scripts. You need to make sure vlan2 in the second command is changed to whatever your WAN interface is called,. Enter both from the ssh/telnet manually before you put them into your start-up scripts section that way you can see the exact error messages if there is a problem. You could also try this script instead for the second command, it should try to autodetect your wan interface, I have not tested it though so you should still run from command line first.
Code:
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i `get_wanface` -j DSCP --set-dscp 0

Also, to answer your earlier question, the reason you only see this on wifi is because the wifi driver itself is looking at the DSCP values and slowing it down accordingly. If it does not go through wifi then nothing slows it down unless QoS is on.
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Something else you might want to consider is using Kong's version of DD-WRT. The newer kernel 3 mod is the same as stock, however the slightly older 2.6 kernel mods are better optimized for the router.

Just a thought.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
Lightsword
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
crashfly wrote:
Something else you might want to consider is using Kong's version of DD-WRT. The newer kernel 3 mod is the same as stock, however the slightly older 2.6 kernel mods are better optimized for the router.

Just a thought.

I'm wondering if any of the newer builds have the better driver that doesn't slow itself down so much. I was guessing that the 3.x may be fixed. I can't really test myself anymore all that easily since I canceled Comcast due to a different issue.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: