Asus RT-N10+ C1 repeater to Linksys WRP-400: doesn't connect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
aronvanammers
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 18:57    Post subject: Asus RT-N10+ C1 repeater to Linksys WRP-400: doesn't connect Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm trying to get an Asus RT-N10+ rev. C1 to function as a repeater of a source wifi network served from a Linksys WRP-400 over which I have no control.

When in Client mode, the RT-N10+ connects to the source wifi network perfectly, and makes it available to LAN clients. Apparently it has no problems to connect to the network.

When in Repeater or Repeater Bridge mode, the RT-N10+ doesn't connect to the source network. Instead, it creates another wifi network with the same SSID, which gives access to the RT-N10+ but not to the source network.

Situation without the RT-N10+:
- SSID "SourceNetwork" from the source router
- LAN and Wireless clients on the source router can access the source network and the internet

Situation with the RT-N10+ in client mode:
- RT-N10+ on DD-WRT can access the source network and the internet
- LAN clients on the RT-N10+ can access the source network and the internet

Situation with the RT-N10+ in Repeater mode or Repeater Bridge mode, with the virtual access point as noted in the tutorial:
- SSID "SourceNetwork" from the RT-N10+ running DD-WRT
- SSID "dd-wrt_vap" (virtual interface) from the RT-N10+ running DD-WRT
- RT-N10+ on DD-WRT can NOT access the source network.
- LAN clients on the RT-N10+ can NOT access the source network.
- Wifi clients can connect to both SSID's of the RT-N10+. They can NOT access the source network. They CAN access the RT-N10+.

Details:

- The source wifi network is a Linksys WRP-400 over which I have no control.
- Wireless security: WPA2 Personal AES, using same PSK in all parts
- I'm following the steps from http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
- Tried builds 16785, 21061 and 22118, all with identical results.
- I've followed the instructions to do a 30/30/30 before every upgrade. Also tried without, and it makes no difference.
- Tools used: InSSIDer to check the available wifi access points.

It seems to me that the RT-N10+ running DD-WRT in Repeater (Bridge) mode shouldn't create an SSID "SourceNetwork". It should function exactly as in Client mode, with the addition of the virtual access point "dd-wrt_vap".

I have seen various posts reporting success with the RT-N10+ as a repeater. Also many reports with failures, even with flashing DD-WRT in the first place. In my case everything has worked flawlessly, except for the Repeater mode.

I've also heard that it would be possible to add a virtual interface when in Client mode. In this Youtube video of build 22118 running on different hardware this is visible in the Wireless configuration. In my case this option is unavailable however. If it would be, and it would work, I would also have the situation I want.

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,
Aron

Last edited by aronvanammers on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:40; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
aronvanammers
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
All,

I tested with a different source wifi router/network, an Android 4.2 phone in hotspot mode. In that case everything works flawlessly: Client mode, Repeater mode, Repeater Bridge mode.

So apparently my problem is in the combination [Linksys WRP-400 with WPA2 AES] - [Asus RT-NT10+ on DD-WRT in Repeater (bridge)] mode.

I'll try to get to the configuration of the WRP-400 to debug. Too curious not to Wink

Cheers,
Aron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: