WNDRMACv2 Images

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ogre1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:23    Post subject: WNDRMACv2 Images Reply with quote
I got fed up with the stock firmware, it has Chromecast issues and is awful at detecting wifi connected devices. I've been trying to flash DD-WRT or even a stock WNDR3800 firmware which has been updated more recently, but checksum and header were causing problems. Found this link: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=39142. Applied instructions to build 22118 DD-WRT WNDR3800 image. Flashes no problem in V1.0.0.20 webui. Router identifies itself as Netgear WNDR3700 v2/WNDR37AV v2/WNDR3800/WNDR38AV in DD-WRT status screen as WNDRMACv2 build isn't in the original build description. WNDR3800 is identical to WNDRMACv2, so doesn't really matter.

I also took the V1.0.0.16 WNDR3800 firmware and modified it in the same way. I didn't test it though.

DD-WRT crew should really add this hardware to the normal builds, super simple change to get it to build like the others with the same board: http://patchwork.openwrt.org/patch/1672/.

Have fun! I literally got this working 5 minutes ago, so I'm not responsible if this bricks your router or makes you download 20TB over your bandwidth cap.

WNDRMACv2 DD-WRT build 22118: https://sites.google.com/a/ogremustcrush.com/www/files/DD-WRT-WNDRMACv2-b22118.img

WNDRMAC3800 V1.0.0.16 firmware modified to flash on WNDRMACv2: https://sites.google.com/a/ogremustcrush.com/www/files/WNDR3800-V1.0.0.16-forWNDRMACv2.img
Sponsor
zpackrat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just wanted to post a quick thank you, works great so far. Helped in connecting at faster rates than the stock for my daughters pc running N on 2.4.
dcipher
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for taking the time to make this firmware!
Just curious - i have a wndrmac (NOT v2), which is the same as the WNDR3700v2.

Just wondering if you think your firmware can be flashed to this device?

EDIT:
Nevermind - I actually have the V2 and this firmware is working great. THANKS
mdemond
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just ordered a WNDRMAC-100NAS (assuming v2 until it arrives). I have tried installing DD-WRT on two other old routers (with no luck). If this thing really updates to DD-WRT through Netgear's web gui I will be on cloud 9!

Just to clarify,
WNDR3800 V1.0.0.16 (10.5 MB) is Netgear firmware.

WNDRMACv2-b22118 (7.5 MB)is for DD-WRT.

Has the DD-WRT been running well so far for you guys?
rseiler
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 23:08    Post subject: Re: WNDRMACv2 Images Reply with quote
ogre1 wrote:
DD-WRT crew should really add this hardware to the normal builds, super simple change to get it to build like the others with the same board: http://patchwork.openwrt.org/patch/1672/.

Have fun! I literally got this working 5 minutes ago, so I'm not responsible if this bricks your router or makes you download 20TB over your bandwidth cap.

How's it been working out for you? And since you mentioned OpenWRT, have you tried it (or Gargoyle)? I'm not sure how it compares yet.

About bricking, if the v2 really is a WNDR3800 in every way, then the folks here say that it can't be bricked due to redundancy built in:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2114179
caseyfriday
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gah, I uploaded the WNDR3800 1.0.0.16 firmware by accident, then I figured it needed to be upgraded like the stock firmware did, so I upgraded to 1.0.0.44. Now it looks like I can't get DD-WRT on the router at all (WNDRMACv2), since upgrading past 1.0.0.20 removes that capability.

I've been trying to TFTP the stock 1.0.0.16 firmware for the WNDRMACv2 for about 2 hours now, and I either don't know what the proper timeframe is, or I just can't get it to work. Any ideas to get back down to stock? Every time I try to downgrade (even to the WNDR3800 stock firmware) in the web admin, it tells me to check the file and refuses it. (The files are proper firmware files.)
miburo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
This works great!! Thanks so much. How do I access the advanced wireless settings?
MrDBF
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
My WNDRMAC is at 1.0.0.22 and won't let me load your image (1.0.0.20) Sad

Any chance you could compile a version that I could burn? That task is beyond my pay grade!
rseiler
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Downgrading factory didn't work?

I think ogre1 is long gone in any case. I tried to decipher what he wrote above in the hopes of hammering out a method for getting newer DD-WRT builds working for MACv2 users, but I can't really make heads or tails of it. It's too bad it wasn't well-documented.

Edit: I was just made aware that once on the above 22118, the router will then be able to handle WNDR3800 builds using the normal DD-WRT to DD-WRT upgrade method (i.e. the DD-WRT UI) should you want to upgrade to something later than 22118. As to which builds might be stable, this is a place to start looking:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=260341
oddtodd67
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 14:31    Post subject: Re: WNDRMACv2 Images Reply with quote
I messed up and did what caseyfriday did but I stopped at the WNDR3800 1.0.0.16 firmware, now the dd-wrt .img won't work.
So I can still load dd-wrt using tftp?

Update: I see what I did now, the WNDR3800 firmware changed the model version from WNDRMACv2 so I can use the 3800 builds, which I did successfully.
The new dd-wrt install shows v24-sp2 (3/25/13), is there a way to tell the build number? I saw some posts referencing 5 digit numbers like 18777, 23320 and 23919 and assumed they were builds.

Update2: I found it, I'm a little sleep deprived. I'm on 21061 and I've managed to find some newer versions, but when I tried to flash the wndr3800-webflash.bin file it bombs almost immediately. Same with the wndr3800-factory.img.
Maybe a Firefox issue? I'm running Fedora 20.
iceinlava
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:50    Post subject: Help. Reply with quote
I have installed the DD-WRT firmware provided above, but would like to restore back to the original factory firmware until i have completely tested the DD-WRT firmware with my router and network. Unfortunately, i am unable to revert back to the netgear firmweare, i have tried to just update the firmware back the the original Netgear WNDRMACv2 V1.0.0.20, as well as using the factory reset button on the back of the router.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:24    Post subject: Re: Help. Reply with quote
iceinlava wrote:
I have installed the DD-WRT firmware provided above, but would like to restore back to the original factory firmware until i have completely tested the DD-WRT firmware with my router and network. Unfortunately, i am unable to revert back to the netgear firmweare, i have tried to just update the firmware back the the original Netgear WNDRMACv2 V1.0.0.20, as well as using the factory reset button on the back of the router.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Using the reset button only clears your settings, it doesn't change the firmware on the router. Lol

Read this http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=79802

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 19:20    Post subject: // , CONFIRMED: Flashes no problem in V1.0.0.20 webui Reply with quote
// , I installed this just fine on my WNDRMACv2.

However, when installing this firmware, there are a few hiccups and limitations to be aware of:

* Make sure to wait 60 seconds after the last stage of the NetGear WebUI says that the flashing of the firmware is complete.

* Make sure to do a 30-30-30 reset after flashing the DD-WRT firmware onto the router.

* You CANNOT GO BACK. Once you have DD-WRT on there, it is possible, but a real pain in the ass, to get back to the previous NetGear firmware. Just have a look at the page to which the post above links. One would most likely need to carefully review the general work for DD-WRT firmware reversion with all routers, and figure out which parts of that work apply to the WNDRMACv2.

* You will most likely not be able to use the NetGear router in Repeater mode.

* Security settings like WAN filters will be frozen.

I will provide screenshots if anyone who uses full sentences asks for a screenshot of something specific.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
netgears have their near impossible to brick tftp mode, easy to change fws

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55488 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55460 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

NathanBasanese
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 22:59    Post subject: // , Repeater Mode & Firmware Revert Reply with quote
// , Show me a person who knows what tftp means off the top of his head and I'll show you someone who doesn't need any of the above warnings.

Like I said, it is possible, but it is a real pain in the ass. Keep in mind, in the instructions above, most users have not yet been forced to use any kind of command line interface.

I can offer an update on the subject of using the router in repeater mode, though:

* Beware DNS settings. They tripped me up when I was testing whether I had set up my client bridge correctly.

* These instructions for setting up a Client Bridge work: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged, but a client bridge will only connections to the internet to it over its Ethernet ports.

* If you want to set up something like a repeater mode, follow these instructions from 4:51:
https://youtu.be/Ud-Hq3kgvk4?t=4m51s
There are differences in the interface, though, in that Repeater Mode won't appear, as it does in the video, as an option, and your physical interface, in this case, ath0, will not offer the option of whether to broadcast an SSID.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: