why cant you have more than 1 DMZ client?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mikeyman2171
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 22:01    Post subject: why cant you have more than 1 DMZ client? Reply with quote
I have noticed that no matter how many routers Ive looked at they have all only supported 1 DMZ client. Now I have been wondering about this for a while and Im hoping someone can come up with a good answer, Is there any thing that is preventing some one from releasing a firmware with the ability to have more than 1 DMZ client ? if not then why hasnt it been done? ( I can sure use one) and if there is what is it?
Thanks
Mike
Sponsor
h3xis
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Because it's not possible, AFAIK. What would be the point? Just set up port forwarding.
antvr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
On Zyxel Prestige 653HWI-11 we are running our servers on public DMZ since fw P653HWI-11_V3.40(OA.4)C0_Standard.zip (2004).

The WAN is on the /30 subnet (point to point)
The DMZ is on the /29 public subnet (RFC1483 routed)
The LAN is 192.168.1.0/24

You can have IP Aliases for the LAN (and on DMZ only Zywalls) but I'm not sure about VLAN implementation. LAN/WLAN separation only on the Zywall's.

AFAIK all Zyxel 652HW/653HW and recent Zywall support the public DMZ.

Hope this helps.
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't have DMZ at all on the DD-WRT.
Linksys misused the term when they should have used something like "default server"

Everything is forwarded to that IP unless another IP is defined in port forwarding.
This IP is on the LAN side.

The Zyxel however has real DMZ.
The implementation differs from device to device.
Like the real DMZ (DeMilitarized Zone) it's between the safe homeland (LAN) and the next "unsafe" country (WAN).

Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
mikeyman2171
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 20:26    Post subject: Why dont I just use port forwarding? Reply with quote
I do use port forwarding, I was just wondering if there was a reason that there wasn't more than 1 DMZ client on a router. Its more a curriousity thing than a need. The only benefit I would get from using multiple DMZ clients would be my Xbox 360 and my Vonage router would both have unrestricted access on my network. Since I already know how to forward ports it is of no real use to me.
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
DMZ is really a poor way of defining the function of this feature.
As we all know, DMZ stands for ‘De-Militarized Zone’, it should be called the ‘Combat Zone’ as it leaves you directly on your public IP.

A DMZ (at least in the corporate world), is the subnet of the network that is exposed to port forwarding rules of the gateway firewall. Systems on this subnet aren’t fully exposed to the internet the way the ‘DMZ’ feature of these routers do. The ‘Private portion of a corporate network would be on a separate subnet, behind its own firewall, with no or minimal ports forwarded, and only to other subnets on the corporate net, not the Internet.

The only thing this ‘feature’ (if you can call it that) is good for is for testing for a port forwarding problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: