TL-WDR3600 intermittent slowdown WIRED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ekephart
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 15:49    Post subject: TL-WDR3600 intermittent slowdown WIRED Reply with quote
I went from stock to BrainSlayers July 2013 (22118) build of firmware.

All of this is on a wired connection to the router. The router goes to a uverse modem provisioned for 12Mbps/1.5Mbps.

On speed tests or large file downloads I would see downloads initially reach near 12Mbps, then quickly drop to near 0 for a few seconds. Then it would slowly speed back up to 8-12Mbps for anywhere from 5-20 seconds before dropping off to near 0 again.

The only thing I can think is there is some kind of buffering/congestion going on.

This is not a problem on the stock firmware, which I've gone back to.

Any ideas?
Sponsor
eyaller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 19:55    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote
I have the exact same issue now with a new 3600 router.

Did you get it sorted out eventually ?

Thanks
eyaller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:48    Post subject: TPLINK TL-WDR3600 V1.5 Reply with quote
Have tested today on the new build - v24-sp2 (12/12/13) std - build 23082

- unfortunately no change from previous releases - internet download gone from stable 30 MB to 1.5 MB...

Back to stock.
jrdejong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just posted the same kind of experience for a netgear WNDR3700v4: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=814345#814345, which appears to mostly have the same hardware.
eyaller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Indeed.

Most likely if you will test with OpenWRT firmware you will see the same behavior.

The chaps on the openWRT forum recon that this new hardware versions are having a new switch driver and possibly it should be possible to port this driver over to dd-wrt – but I have no idea how to do that….
jrdejong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah....

Found the posts you're refering to: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=47689. Well, it appears to be a theory that happens to fit the facts.

Reverse engineering or extracting a driver from stock hardware and then build it into the dd-wrt images is beyond my current knowledge and quite possibly requires more time investment than I can spare right now.

However, I figure we can perform a little test: if we try to load one of the earliest stock firmwares we may find the same issue, since those versions probably do not include the new driver yet?

Agreed?
eyaller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 13:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good point that can "re enforce" the theory.

either that or we "brick" the device Wink
jrdejong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, the netgear is supposed to be virtually un-brickable because of its recovery mode Wink

I updated the stock firmware when I reverted from dd-wrt to stock and I'm almost sure that version was later than the initial release. So, I could give it a shot as soon as I'm able and report back.
jrdejong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Allright, here is what I did:

- I downgraded the firmware from latest stock to initial release stock

The router is operating fine. I get stable downstream speeds of almost 150 mbps, which is the internet connection I paid for.

- Out of curiosity I flashed the router with dd-wrt (doing exactly as the wiki says)

Problem back! A short spike of about 100 mbps and after that, stalling, slow speed, stalling and finally a timout.

- Start the router in recovery mode and tftp stock firmware onto the router

The router is operating fine. I get stable downstream speeds of almost 150 mbps

Note for readers: this is done on a Netgear WNDR3700v4 which has more or less the same hardware and shows the same problem as the TP-Link WDR3600 discussed in this topic.

Question
eyaller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can re confirm your findings with the WDR3600V1.5 - downgraded stock firmware to the lowest i could find on TP Link website (firmware for Jan 2013) and can not re create the downstream intermittent issue.

guess we are back to square one...

quite a shame as i have specifically purchased this router after seeing it gets good results with dd wrt and i need the VPN server functionality.
jrdejong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was afraid of that.

Indeed a shame. I need a router with better CPU speed than my current linksys wrt320, but with the dd-wrt functionality like ssh, iptables, VPN.

I now have the option of using the wrt320, which maxes out at 80 mbps (not bad at all, but doesn't quite feel right if you know you can get 150) or using the netgear with stock firmware or buying yet another router. If the latter .. which one is suitable and a safe bet? Lots of supported models are old/too slow and those in beta have the risk of finding that the hardware is slightly different, or there is a different hardware version in the meantime etc. Even a fast CPU model like the link sys EA6500 now has a v2 version that is not supported (yet?).
eyaller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe get a good Asus router.

Think the Broadcom chipset based routers are better for dd wrt.

It was my initial plan to purchase the Asus but I was then tempted with the Tplink lowest cost... A mistake I will sure not repeat.
jrdejong
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agreed.

Was also looking at the Netgear WNDR4500. I can get the V2 version which seems well supported. It's a Broadcom unit with lots of ram and flash and a 600MHz cpu. Not using wireless anyway Wink
eyaller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:09    Post subject: WDR3600 Reply with quote
So its seems that the chaps at OpenWRT have cracked this bug being related to the router switch (also affecting other TP Link routers) and they have applied a patch that fixes the problem - disables the energy efficient of the switch (or something similar anyway...) more details here:

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=48086

can anyone please advise if the same patch can also be ported to DD-WRT ?

Thanks a lot
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
try latest build (r23720) it has a much reworked switch driver.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: