dd-wrt, PuTTY, No-IP and Ubuntu server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
JoeyJoeJoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 18:55    Post subject: dd-wrt, PuTTY, No-IP and Ubuntu server Reply with quote
My goal is to be able to SSH using PuTTY to my Ubuntu server at home which is behind a dd-wrt Linksys router.

Last night I installed the No-IP client on my Ubuntu server at home (from the command line... joy).

Today I added JoeyJoeJoesUbuntuServer.no-ip.biz as a host on www.no-ip.com. I use No-IP to access my router's web interface from work, no problem (using https and port 8080).

I set Port Range Fowarding of port 22, TCP/UDP to the statc IP address of my Ubuntu server.

At work installed PuTTY and tried to open a session to JoeyJoeJoesUbuntuServer.no-ip.biz on port 22.

When it connected, I was prompted with 'login as:' and when I entered a username, I got information about DD-WRT (DD-WRT v23 SP2 std (c) 2006 NewMedia-NET.... etc, etc.). No combination of username/password from either my Ubuntu server or dd-wrt router would work. Always 'Access denied'.

It seems port forwarding is not working on the dd-wrt? Or is it a no-IP client issue?

Any thoughts appreciated.

JJJ
Sponsor
xciton
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
You've got remote ssh login turned on your router. Either turn it off, or move it to another port so that it doesn't collide with the port 22 forward to your computer.
Dodge DeBoulet
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could also forward a different port on your router to port 22 on the Ubuntu server using dd-wrt's port forwarding facility. Then specify the selected port in PuTTY for the ssh protocol.

That's what I do for my OpenSuse server.
JoeyJoeJoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Disabled remote ssh login on dd-wrt. D'oh! I'm all set now Thanks guys.

Another (naive) question re:PuTTY.

I log with PuTTY in remotely using my server name and port 22. PuTTY tells me that it doesnt' recognize the key and do I want to accept it. I type 'yes' and I'm off to the races.

I've never entered a key on the PuTTY side before logging on to my Ubuntu server.

What will stop anyone from using PuTTY and hitting my server?

Sorry this is off topic.

JJJ
fryfrog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Absolutely nothing stops anyone from using putty (or any other ssh client) to try and log into your server. There are a few ways to make things safer, and the first thing to do is make sure you have a *secure* password. You can also use trusted keys, only allowing someone who has a "key" to login (they also have passphrases). You could run ssh on an odd port, reducing the risk via "obscurity" and you might also even have fun getting a "port knocker" working.

That works by opening port 22 only *after* you (for example) try to open port 3445, then 4456, then 8872. Security thought... combination lock using ports? Dunno anything about setting this up on dd-wrt though. I personally just use strong password and an "odd" port, haven't really had any problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: