DD-WRT useless? on WRT-54G 1.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
punker_4_real
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 20:08    Post subject: DD-WRT useless? on WRT-54G 1.0 Reply with quote
any reason why it crashs in 17 Hour incerments

I tryed v23 sp2 ,v23 SP3,v24 older and newer betas
(Mini Also crashs)

the only DD-wrt that is stable is the Micro build v23 SP2 Works fine (MICRO ONLY)

I might as well Get an another WRT v5

i TRYED COOLING but dose not work

i have a Large Heatsink on the cpu chip and a smaller one on the radio chip

Schedule Reboot IS DISABLE!!!
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been running V24 on my V1 for a long time. It never (or very seldom) crashes. I wouldn't blame the Firmware. It may be a power issue. Check your power pack make sure you have 5.0-5.1Volts. If it is in the 4.7-4.85Volt range then it could be your power supply. That is what happened to mine.....right now I am using a PC power supply for my WRT54Gv1....redhawk

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
I have been running V24 on my V1 for a long time. It never (or very seldom) crashes. I wouldn't blame the Firmware. It may be a power issue. Check your power pack make sure you have 5.0-5.1Volts. If it is in the 4.7-4.85Volt range then it could be your power supply. That is what happened to mine.....right now I am using a PC power supply for my WRT54Gv1....redhawk
i am using an PSP Power supply modded to linksys power supply it has 2.0AMPS
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK...it was just a thought...I know a PC supply at 35A is a bit overkill but it works for me...it was the only 5Ver that I had. Sorry I can't help more....redhawk

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
punker_4_real wrote:
redhawk0 wrote:
i am using an PSP Power supply modded to linksys power supply it has 2.0AMPS

What's the voltage? These are very particular about having enough voltage. 4.5 isn't sufficient.....you have to have 5.

Linksys E2000 w/15200 "Big"
Linksys WRT54G v.4
La Fonera 2100, fan-cooled
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Peacock Thread - READ THOROUGHLY
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
anectine17....is it possible to run a WRT54Gv1 with a 12V supply. I think I read somewhere that a V1 has a regulator that will work up to 12V....is this true???....redhawk

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah....it'll run on a 12 volt power supply.....for about 3 seconds. At that point, it'll smell bad and cease to function. I've played with some old v.1's and about the most they'll handle SHORT TERM is 7 volts. Above that, they fry pretty much instantly. I don't know what the long term effect of 7 volts would be, but I ran one at that for about 24 hours and it seemed fine.

The v.1 and its power supply (the only 5 volt WRT...the rest are 12 volt) got a bad rap because the power supplies had an undersized capacitor at one particular location inside the power supply case, causing them to fail prematurely. I guess they were trying to save space. I've had great success cracking the cases open and replacing all the capacitors and they're better than new. The funny thing is, they'll just stop working one day. So you get out the volt meter and the power supply shows it's putting out 5 volts so you figure it must be the router. I've bought dozens of v.1's that were "dead" cuz they were tested that way. Turns out the router is fine....it's the power supply that's dead.....despite the fact it shows 5 volt output. As soon as you put them under load, they drop to about 2 volt output and that won't drive the v.1. 50 cents worth of capacitors in the power supply and I can sell the router I bought for $10 for $40!! Twisted Evil

Sorry for the rant......you got more than you asked for, but hopefully it was informative. Good luck!

Linksys WRT54G v.4
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep...exactly. I had the same 5V measured until plugged in. then I had 4.7....Red LED's and a Blinking power light. After some quick surgery to the power pack and cable I connected it to an old PC supply that I had hanging around. I had previously had it set up to power a Panasonic DVR that had the power supply die. After replacing the DVR Power supply this was just left sitting on the self. 5V @ 35A is plenty of juice for a WRT unit....please read as "MUCH OVERKILL".

I can't remember where I read about the 12V on a v1 thing. I figured it wouldn't work because I could not find a regulator on the WRT board. Do you know how much current the v1 really draws? Is the 2A requirement only necessary to flashing the unit?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 2 amps is overkill. Hell, in the middle of the v.5 production, they dropped the 12v supplies down to 500mA. The main reason for the higher amperage is the mini-PCI card...it draws a bit more than the newer on-board chips, but they did go a bit overboard with it.

My GS2 has the SD Mod, 80mm fan, is overclocked to 252, etc....so I bought a special power supply that's 1.5 amps (12 volts) to make sure I don't overdraw it.

Linksys WRT54G v.4
Linksys WRT54G v.3.1
Linksys WRT54G v.1.1
Linksys WRT54GS v.1
2x Linksys WRT54G v.2.2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: