DD-WRT, WDS, 1/3 Mile Distance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
powerismine
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 21:38    Post subject: DD-WRT, WDS, 1/3 Mile Distance. Reply with quote
I am looking to set up a remote office that is about 1/3 of a mile down the road, there is a line of sight if we mount to the side of the buildings.

Both buildings are diagonally across the street from each other. There are 4 machines in the office now, and 2 at the remote building. One at the remote is has 1 laptop w/wireless and 1 Win98se machine.

I am wondering if I only need 1 WRT54GL for the main building with a directional antenna attached and mounted out side. Then another WRT54GL installed in the remote building, used to rebroadcast the WiFi for the laptop and wired for the 98SE machine.

There is a big pine tree in the middle of the outside of the remote building, but if needed we can use 2 point to point antennas. I am just fishing for suggestions.

Thanks
Rich
Sponsor
GunTolo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
my experience..

i try to connected 2 GL in WDS mode. have range about 400 mtr and Non Line of Sight. in the middle of both GL have many tree's. In Main AP, use 24 dbi hyperlink antena and set the xmit power to 100 mW. on the remote AP still use the standard antena with the xmit power set at the same value. So...both of them is perfectly connected.

now there are still connected since 8 month ago. just need to automated reboot once a week.

28 GL+DD-WRT v23 SP3 Std
13 WRT300N v.1 v24 06-20-07
2 GL/SP1/200 mW+Hyperlink 24 db >> 16 km Point to Point
teclis22
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aloah !

As Gun already stated you should really get some good directonal antennas. While he suggested one i would opt for 2 directional ones.

it does save you a lot of trouble in the long run. Bad weather, interferences etc. If you take strong enough antennas like 2x24 dbi the tree is totaly ignorable.

You might even get along with 2x 12 dbi directional but i am not sure on that.

Both routers run in WDS and the local clients in each building connect to their local routers. Just make sure you set the default gateway of the clients to the router with the actual internet connection or only activate 1 dhcp serve rin case of dynamic ips.

hope this helps. please pos tyour experiences here when you get a chance.

regards

tec

1x Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N in Reserve (still looking for that on ebay)

all units running DD-WRT v3.0-r44187 std
powerismine
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can someone give me a link to the antenna that would be my best bet, they will be mounted outdoors. Let me know whats the best bet, I was looking into the square directional antennas but not sure if thats the best bet or not.
stevech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Coax cable from antenna to wireless device, if incorrectly chosen, can offset most of the antenna's gain benefit. Therefore, point to point links are usually done with devices where the radio and antenna are in the same outdoor enclosure, and the radio is rated for the outdoor temperature extremes. There are lots of these outdoor bridges or outdoor bridge/access points on the market. www.demarctech.com is one of many.

If you roll your own, with the w-router inside, you'll have the problem of getting the coax through a wall, the cost of good coax, and so on. One of many sources for antennas is http://www.hyperlinktech.com. Add it up though, and compare total cost to an outdoor bridge.

You want an outdoor "patch" antenna, about 14dBi gain, 30 degree beamwidth. For long paths, and highly attenuated paths, consider setting up your devices to limit the speed to one of the lower speeds in 802.11g. Lower speed = longer range because the required signal strength is reduced.
mballx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
wds 300 mtr in Thailand
http://www.thelordofwireless.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4725
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: