TP-Link WDR4900 - OpenVPN + QoS do not work at the same time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
ipumuk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 23:29    Post subject: TP-Link WDR4900 - OpenVPN + QoS do not work at the same time Reply with quote
Hi,

I finally got OpenVPN to work on my wdr4900 (DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/24/13) std). But when I activate QOS I can not access the internet anymore. (QOS works amazingly well when I deactivate openvpn.)

I used the following settings for openvpn: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/#ddwrt_openvpn

Is it a general problem that qos and openvpn do not work together or is it a bug?

I hope you can help Wink
Sponsor
ipumuk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the tomato forum I found a similiar question and answer:

Code:
1. Does QoS work when VPN is established ?

1. No. QoS applies to WAN connectivity only. A VPN shows as a single connection on the VPN listener port, but that port *can* be adjusted (as a whole) via QoS rules (i.e. you can set all VPN connections to a particular QoS level, but you can't tune connections being tunneled _through_ the VPN).

So if this is true my problem is not a bug but it simply does not work to have QOS and openvpn running at the same time.

Can you confirm this?
baptiste
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can confirm they work fine together on a WDR3600 with the December 2013 builds. Here is how I set mine up: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=201695

Granted - I'm not saying QoS applies to the VPN connection/interface. But I have QoS active to ensure my VoIP phones have ample bandwidth on a router with OpenVPN and QoS (and VLANs) active. So not sure why you couldn't access the internet, though the setup you linked too seems unusual compared to most that I have seen for DD-WRT

ipumuk wrote:
In the tomato forum I found a similiar question and answer:

Code:
1. Does QoS work when VPN is established ?

1. No. QoS applies to WAN connectivity only. A VPN shows as a single connection on the VPN listener port, but that port *can* be adjusted (as a whole) via QoS rules (i.e. you can set all VPN connections to a particular QoS level, but you can't tune connections being tunneled _through_ the VPN).

So if this is true my problem is not a bug but it simply does not work to have QOS and openvpn running at the same time.

Can you confirm this?

Numerous deployed Buffalo WHR and Asus WL-520gu units (various firmwares)
ipumuk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
thank you for your feedback.

maybe i have setup something wrong ;(

i can show you the settings:
ivtu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:07    Post subject: Re: TP-Link WDR4900 - OpenVPN + QoS do not work at the same Reply with quote
Hello,
can you tell us more about OpenVPN on wdr4900?
Is speed OK?

Thanks
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
use a modern build first..would of thought using a build from dec 2013 would of rang bells since its dec 2014..link in sig, favorite it, never look at router database again

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: