Upgrading WNDR4500 to latest DD-WRT, which to use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
alpuzz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 22:51    Post subject: Upgrading WNDR4500 to latest DD-WRT, which to use? Reply with quote
Hello,
I have a WNDR4500 V1, and initially upgraded it from stock firmware to DD-WRT over a year ago. I don't know now how to tell if I'm running Brainslayer's build, Kong's build or whatever build. What I do know is that my firmware version reports as (build 41M). I tried using the web UI to upgrade from 41M to Kong's 23020 build; However the upgrade process failed after a few seconds, Luckily without bricking my router. So my questions:
Which build should I be using for best performance? I don't really need any exotic features. I just want the build that will offer the best performance especially on the 5GHZ band. What are the primary differences between the Kong and Brainslayer builds?
Why might the upgrade process have failed when I attempted to flash to Kong's 23020? If upgrading from 41M is going to prove problematic for some reason, should I even bother? 41M has proven quite stable, so unless a newer build offers significantly better drivers or other major performance boostsmaybe I'll just leave well enough alone for now.
Thanks for any thoughts,
Al
Sponsor
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 23:12    Post subject: Re: Upgrading WNDR4500 to latest DD-WRT, which to use? Reply with quote
alpuzz wrote:
Hello,
I have a WNDR4500 V1, and initially upgraded it from stock firmware to DD-WRT over a year ago. I don't know now how to tell if I'm running Brainslayer's build, Kong's build or whatever build. What I do know is that my firmware version reports as (build 41M). I tried using the web UI to upgrade from 41M to Kong's 23020 build; However the upgrade process failed after a few seconds, Luckily without bricking my router. So my questions:
Which build should I be using for best performance? I don't really need any exotic features. I just want the build that will offer the best performance especially on the 5GHZ band. What are the primary differences between the Kong and Brainslayer builds?
Why might the upgrade process have failed when I attempted to flash to Kong's 23020? If upgrading from 41M is going to prove problematic for some reason, should I even bother? 41M has proven quite stable, so unless a newer build offers significantly better drivers or other major performance boostsmaybe I'll just leave well enough alone for now.
Thanks for any thoughts,
Al

The 41M build is an unofficial build from a netgear dev, that created an early dd-wrt release with the netgear kernel, which of course doesn't work flawless.

I'm not sure which build you tried, but usually tathagata tests flashing only with *.chk.
Thus try my *.chk not the bin. If that still does not work, first flash back to netgear then use my chk from initial directory on the ftp and load it from the netgear web interface.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: