R7000?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ncage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 14:36    Post subject: R7000? Reply with quote
Hi Everyone, I just have an R700 on the way . I would like to make sure I have everything figured out before I receive the unit and flash it with dd-wrt. First I want to make sure that I won’t lose any functionality going to dd-wrt. Is there anything you give up (features/coverage/speeds/signal strength)? I did watch a youtube video that demonstrated doing openvpn with the stock firmware and it was SOOOO easy. I wish that it was so easy with dd-wrt but you can’t have everything perfect I guess. With the stock firmware you essentially go into the console and it generates all the openvpn connection stuff for you rather than you having to download the openvpn client and doing it manually.

Anyways, again will I lose anything in terms of functionality when I go with dd-wrt? Have you guys did any speed testing to see how the wireless speeds / coverage of dd-wrt compare to the stock firmware? Speedtest.net doesn’t count because even N should be able to saturate most residential internet connections. What I found really encouraging though is it looks like you can go back to the stock firmware if you’re not happy. I’ll just make sure I download the latest netgear firmware before I start.
Let me make sure I have the steps correct for flashing the R7000.

1. Go here http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/Initial/ and get dd-wrt.K3_R7000.chk and flash it to the unit

2. Go here http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/ and get the latest build which at this time is r23350 (dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM.bin) and download and flash

Now I didn’t see anything about clearing out the nvram. Unnecessary?

Do I have everything correct?

Hopefully this router it supported officially soon.
Anyways any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ncage
Sponsor
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 19:29    Post subject: Re: R7000? Reply with quote
ncage wrote:
Hi Everyone, I just have an R700 on the way . I would like to make sure I have everything figured out before I receive the unit and flash it with dd-wrt. First I want to make sure that I won’t lose any functionality going to dd-wrt. Is there anything you give up (features/coverage/speeds/signal strength)? I did watch a youtube video that demonstrated doing openvpn with the stock firmware and it was SOOOO easy. I wish that it was so easy with dd-wrt but you can’t have everything perfect I guess. With the stock firmware you essentially go into the console and it generates all the openvpn connection stuff for you rather than you having to download the openvpn client and doing it manually.

But that is exactly the problem of netgear vpn support. While that specific use case works easy you can't really do all the things you can do with openvpn, e.g. use a vpn provider etc.

While you defintely won't have a few features you get lots of new features, such as integrated adblocking, webserver, more fine grained qos...

Basically things that the community asked for and because dd-wrt attracks different user types (power users) the needs are a bit different.

Quote:

Anyways, again will I lose anything in terms of functionality when I go with dd-wrt? Have you guys did any speed testing to see how the wireless speeds / coverage of dd-wrt compare to the stock firmware? Speedtest.net doesn’t count because even N should be able to saturate most residential internet connections. What I found really encouraging though is it looks like you can go back to the stock firmware if you’re not happy. I’ll just make sure I download the latest netgear firmware before I start.

NAT performance can be better in netgear in case you do a simple config, then netgear can use ctf, broadcoms nat acceleration technology. This so called hw acceleration is missing features though that's why in general you can't use it with qos and advanced firewall rules.

With dd-wrt WAN-LAN max routing performance is around 350Mbps, if overclocked to 1200Mhz it is around 400Mbps.

As netgear did not yet solve their wireless problems we can't really compare speeds, but our build for the R6300V1 was faster than netgear firmware. So we are at least as fast, if not faster.

If you look at the netgear forum you will notice netgear firmware currently has these problems:

-wireless degradation, means after a day or so speeds are in the ground
-qos not working well, stalls etc.
-harddrive issues with ntfs formatted drives (probably because the closed source ntfs driver for linux they use is not that reliable, but fast, therefore good to show of in benchmarks)

Quote:

1. Go here http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/Initial/ and get dd-wrt.K3_R7000.chk and flash it to the unit

2. Go here http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/ and get the latest build which at this time is r23350 (dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM.bin) and download and flash

Thanks,
Ncage

After you flashed, just use the Factory Reset feature in dd-wrts webif.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 19:46    Post subject: Re: R7000? Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
ncage wrote:

But that is exactly the problem of netgear vpn support. While that specific use case works easy you can't really do all the things you can do with openvpn, e.g. use a vpn provider etc.

While you defintely won't have a few features you get lots of new features, such as integrated adblocking, webserver, more fine grained qos...

Basically things that the community asked for and because dd-wrt attracks different user types (power users) the needs are a bit different.

Quote:

NAT performance can be better in netgear in case you do a simple config, then netgear can use ctf, broadcoms nat acceleration technology. This so called hw acceleration is missing features though that's why in general you can't use it with qos and advanced firewall rules.

With dd-wrt WAN-LAN max routing performance is around 350Mbps, if overclocked to 1200Mhz it is around 400Mbps.

As netgear did not yet solve their wireless problems we can't really compare speeds, but our build for the R6300V1 was faster than netgear firmware. So we are at least as fast, if not faster.

If you look at the netgear forum you will notice netgear firmware currently has these problems:

-wireless degradation, means after a day or so speeds are in the ground
-qos not working well, stalls etc.
-harddrive issues with ntfs formatted drives (probably because the closed source ntfs driver for linux they use is not that reliable, but fast, therefore good to show of in benchmarks)

Quote:

Thanks,
Ncage

After you flashed, just use the Factory Reset feature in dd-wrts webif.

Thanks so much Kong for the direct reply (best to get it direct from the source) Smile. I'm sure you get this a lot but i just want to say thanks for all the hard work you do developing the firmware. Anyways you convinced me and i will be flashing as soon as i get the router.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: