wr703n Bricked after webrevert. Please help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Preceptor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 21:54    Post subject: wr703n Bricked after webrevert. Please help! Reply with quote
People, I was using openWRT when I decided trying dd-wrt. I didn't like it so I was going back to the openWRT but the web interface didn't allow reflashing the openWRT image. Since the SSH wasn't working either, I couldn't manually flash it, so I tried reverting back to the stock firmware using the file from the site. It flashed properly using the web interface but now I just can't access the router and I think it is bricked. It won't even respond to ping... What happened? Question Is there any way to solve it without resorting to serial!? (Please say yes...)
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Isn't tp-link default ip 192.168.0.1? Did you make sure you pinged that? I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried both 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1, of course changing my ip to match the subnet according. Also DHCP doesn't work...
nebbia88
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
do you see wifi?
Preceptor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
no, i didn't care to check. Is it on by default? Is it possible it's on even though ethernet isn't?
Preceptor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Woa! Right on the spot man!
The wi-fi was on. So it's most likelly that the firmware configured the only ethernet port as wan so it's unreachable... I can reach the webgui now connected through wi-fi... Any tips on how would I flash it? What are the chances of bricking it if I flash through wi-fi?
Thanks for the answer
Preceptor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Come on people, lend me a hand here... Is there a safer way to flash the firmware to this router than just using the wi-fi connection and webgui? Serial connection is a no-go for me at the moment...
What is the probability of success considering the router is just next to the computer, which would reduce the possibility of a package failure or something?
Just to reiterate, the only access to the router is through wi-fi, it's using tp-link stock firmware and its all in chinese by the way...
nebbia88
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
it is safe, upgrade to the lastest tp-link firmware.
Preceptor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the help mate! openWRT running on it again! Yeah!
For a moment there I thought I would've just acquired a new and expensive paperweight...
joanwa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
nebbia88 wrote:
it is safe, upgrade to the lastest tp-link firmware.

Hi, just to add here to the conversation:
I had 5 chinese 703n v1.6 on DD-WRT. Did webreverts with DD-WRT provided image. You then have Stock 3.12.11 Build 111129 Rel.63942n on the box, Ethernet is KO. Over WiFi I uploaded OpenWRT 15.05 squashfs-factory image, after the last progress bar is at 100% in less then 30sec the boxes came up with OpenWRT and issued me an IP over ethernet DHCP. So this works trouble free. Only thing I wouldn't do is update to latest TP-Link stock, as this is known to update the Bootloader.
Hope this helps others who are undecided wether to go down the serial connection route smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: