WRT150N issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Mister X
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:53    Post subject: WRT150N issues Reply with quote
Hello,

I have an old WRT150N which somehow managed to die, I guess. It still powers up and its LAN LED shows activity, but that's it.

Symptoms: unresponsive to any ping, even with a static IP address assigned to the computer and a LAN connection between it and the router.
I've also tried to connect it through another router which would act as a hub in order to get a ping response.
I've attempted all the Peacock Thread and Wiki suggestions (set static IPs, power cycle, etc.) to attempt to TFTP but the problem is that the router isn't responding to any ping, regardless of the way how it's connected to the computer or the timing of the command.

The only thing that I've noticed is that if I power it up while holding Reset, the power LED will flash, but I still get no ping response whatsoever (on 192.168.1.1 or .0.1) so that I can try to TFTP.

At this point I'm considering some other options such as JTAG or serial (but I'll need some advice on that as I've never attempted it), as I believe there's still a chance for it to be functional.

Any suggestions?
Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 13:00    Post subject: Re: WRT150N issues Reply with quote
Mister X wrote:
Hello,

I have an old WRT150N which somehow managed to die, I guess. It still powers up and its LAN LED shows activity, but that's it.

Symptoms: unresponsive to any ping, even with a static IP address assigned to the computer and a LAN connection between it and the router.
I've also tried to connect it through another router which would act as a hub in order to get a ping response.
I've attempted all the Peacock Thread and Wiki suggestions (set static IPs, power cycle, etc.) to attempt to TFTP but the problem is that the router isn't responding to any ping, regardless of the way how it's connected to the computer or the timing of the command.

The only thing that I've noticed is that if I power it up while holding Reset, the power LED will flash, but I still get no ping response whatsoever (on 192.168.1.1 or .0.1) so that I can try to TFTP.

At this point I'm considering some other options such as JTAG or serial (but I'll need some advice on that as I've never attempted it), as I believe there's still a chance for it to be functional.

Any suggestions?
Thank you!

The same has happened to my WRT150N after a storm and it ended up just being the power supply.

Replaced the power supply and then I was getting TTL 100's so I TFTP'd DD-WRT to it and I was good.

Maybe you'll have the same luck as me, maybe not.

If all else fails, serial should be able to help.

Erase NVRAM and clear out the router and have it ready to accept a TFTP over Ethernet and you'll be good to go.

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Serial_Recovery

Read up on that. Smile
Mister X
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've tried another power supply (from a WRT610n) which has a higher amperage (2A vs 1A) with no luck, same results. Sad
I'll read on that, I guess it's time to go to hardware modding, haha. Smile

BTW, what build do you have on your router now? I had 15896 when it was still working.. Yours is revision 1.1 or which one?
LE: NVM, I just saw it in your sig.

Last edited by Mister X on Tue Feb 25, 2014 13:07; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mister X wrote:
I've tried another power supply (from a WRT610n) which has a higher amperage (2A vs 1A) with no luck, same results. Sad
I'll read on that, I guess it's time to go to hardware modding, haha. Smile

BTW, what build do you have on your router now? I had 15896 when it was still working..

I was running 21676, I don't use my WRT150N anymore because I have more top of the line routers like R7000, RT-AC66U/R, RT-N66U/R, RT-N16, E4200, etc. Very Happy

But 21676 ran fine on my WRT150N.
Mister X
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you use a Nokia cable? Do you happen to have a photo of how you've connected the wires to the board?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've attempted to connect to the router via serial connection using a CA-50 cable to no success. The router itself doesn't provide any output, even though its leds flash, and is unresponsive to CTRL+C.
I've connected my USB-to-Serial adapter to the TX, RX and GND leads on the board. The adapter itself has a PL2303 chip, I believe it's the first revision. I've attached a photo of it.
I've checked my serial connection by connecting the TX-RX leads and I get an echo when I type in, therefore I'm suspecting there's something from the router side.

Any ideas?

Nokia%20USB%20to%20Serial%20small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.34 KB
 Viewed:  5869 Time(s)

Nokia%20USB%20to%20Serial%20small.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've finally ressurected the router and I've decided to share the solution in case that anyone else needs it.
What I've done:
- reconnected the USB-to-serial interface on a different computer with w7 x86 and used this little program to connect to the interface; previously I was attempting to use Putty on W7 x64
- after mashing ctrl+c I've received a CFE> prompt
- erase nvram

- I've attempted to send commands in order to initiate a TFTP transfer with the commands in the wiki but I had no succes, I would receive error -1 and no replies to pings from the PC side, so I've just decided to try and reboot the router using the go command

- the router booted into the old firmware, my jaw dropped in amazement
- I've flashed 21676 mini using the web interface
- seems rock solid so far, let's hope I don't run into any more issues

Thanks for the suggestions, I almost gave up on this nice old router! (It's actually my first Linksys so there's a certain level of emotional bonding, haha).

Navigation

Jump to: