r7000 + DD-WRT combined with Netgear range extender: no go?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
BartDG
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:36    Post subject: r7000 + DD-WRT combined with Netgear range extender: no go? Reply with quote
Anybody got any experience with DD-WRT combined with a Netgear range extender (WN3000RP)?

My router, a Netgear R7000 uses the latest Kong DD-WRT firmware. I've also got a Netgear WN3000RP range extender here that I only use for when I need internet access in my garden. The R7000 does an excellent job of providing signal inside the house, but not further than that (the signal can't seem to penetrate the insulation in my house' exterior walls very good).

This range extender I used before with my D-Link DIR-655 and it used to work very good. Yesterday the weather was picking up, and I wanted to sit in my garden yesterday and do some internet surfing. But I couldn't get the extender to the new r7000 router. Well, that's not entirely correct : the extender did connect and even got an IP address in the correct range, but at the end of the setup it said it couldn't connect and asked me to move it closer to the router. I tried a couple of times and actually ended up putting it in a socket NEXT to the router, and it still wouldn't work and asked me to move it even closer. Confused

So, in short: it doesn't seem to work with DD-WRT for some reason? Any idea what could cause this? Could this be remedied by altering a DD-WRT setting? FYI: this range extender only extends the 2.4 Ghz channel. The router's 2.4 Ghz channel is set to 'auto' and 20 Ghz width. (40 Ghz makes no difference by the way). The 'mode' is now set to 'mixed', because when I tried 'n only', my iPhone isn't able to connect to my Wifi anymore. Confused

Thx!
Sponsor
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:56    Post subject: Re: r7000 + DD-WRT combined with Netgear range extender: no Reply with quote
BartDG wrote:
Anybody got any experience with DD-WRT combined with a Netgear range extender (WN3000RP)?

My router, a Netgear R7000 uses the latest Kong DD-WRT firmware. I've also got a Netgear WN3000RP range extender here that I only use for when I need internet access in my garden. The R7000 does an excellent job of providing signal inside the house, but not further than that (the signal can't seem to penetrate the insulation in my house' exterior walls very good).

This range extender I used before with my D-Link DIR-655 and it used to work very good. Yesterday the weather was picking up, and I wanted to sit in my garden yesterday and do some internet surfing. But I couldn't get the extender to the new r7000 router. Well, that's not entirely correct : the extender did connect and even got an IP address in the correct range, but at the end of the setup it said it couldn't connect and asked me to move it closer to the router. I tried a couple of times and actually ended up putting it in a socket NEXT to the router, and it still wouldn't work and asked me to move it even closer. Confused

So, in short: it doesn't seem to work with DD-WRT for some reason? Any idea what could cause this? Could this be remedied by altering a DD-WRT setting? FYI: this range extender only extends the 2.4 Ghz channel. The router's 2.4 Ghz channel is set to 'auto' and 20 Ghz width. (40 Ghz makes no difference by the way). The 'mode' is now set to 'mixed', because when I tried 'n only', my iPhone isn't able to connect to my Wifi anymore. Confused

Thx!

Hmmmm the R7000 has excellent range if correctly setup, if you are using 2.4Ghz, then set it to US regulation domain and set txpwr to 160mW then try again.

Rgearding the extender, if any client can connect to your R7000 wirelessly and has a connection, then the range extender should work too, as it is just another client.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 16:29    Post subject: Re: r7000 + DD-WRT combined with Netgear range extender: no Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

Rgearding the extender, if any client can connect to your R7000 wirelessly and has a connection, then the range extender should work too, as it is just another client.

Well, that's the strange part. It doesn't work. It sees the Wifi channel and connects to it. It receives an IP in the correct range (provided by the router). After that, it needs to finalize the configuration, but then it simply says it cannot connect, and asks to move the extender closer to the router. I actually spent 2 hours fiddling with it yesterday before I gave up. With my D-link DIR-655, this was set up in like 5 minutes and worked perfectly. (I did reset the extender before setting it up with the R7000) I have no idea why this is happening, but all I can say is that the router is the only thing that has changed in this setup.

I'll try your suggestion of changing the regulation domain and upping the TX power a bit. Maybe I won't need that extender anymore then.

Cheers Kong!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: