No "Bridged AP" mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
spliffim
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 14:06    Post subject: No "Bridged AP" mode Reply with quote
DIR-600 B2 (v24 firmware)

I've discovered purely through trial and error that in order to connect wireless clients to a LAN with an existing DHCP server you apparently HAVE to select the "Repeater Bridge" wireless mode settings.

Selecting "AP" and "Network Configuration" -> "Bridged" causes wireless clients to not get DHCP (LAN clients do). It seems like "bridge" is ignored on the wireless side.

Using "Repeater Bridge" is confusing because I'm not actually repeating a wireless network in my setup (there is only 1 AP in the network, this one).

To complicate things more the "Repeater Bridge" has the side-effect of disabling channel selection. I discovered that I could set a channel but only by first going to AP mode, setting the channel, applying the changes, then changing BACK to "Repeater Bridge". The theory behind disabling channel selection is apparently that repeaters should use the "base AP" channel but as I just pointed out I'm not actually repeating here (just choosing the only option that seems to bridge wireless clients).

It's also my understanding that repeaters run at effectively half-speed due to duplexing with other APs. If that's happening here it's pointless since there is no other AP to communicate with.

So it seems to me that the firmware needs to support an "AP bridge" (or "AP" + "bridged") mode so you can add wireless clients to a wired LAN transparently *AND* still be able to change the channel.

It also doesn't help that the builtin documentation is awful. It still refers to "Client Bridged" mode which this firmware doesn't support and "Network Configuration" isn't documented at all.

Is this a bug or am I just just missing something?
Sponsor
spliffim
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the general info, particularly about the repeater bandwidth sharing. Sounds like the current setup is as optimal as it can be. The rest is really more about confusing UI / documentation since what I have now is working (albeit with some undocumented workarounds).

However just to satisfy any lingering curiosity the primary "network" is simply a 1-port TP-Link TD-8817 ADSL modem with built-in DHCP server. It is physically connected to the WAN port on the DIR-600. There are no other wired devices (but I did plug an older mac powerbook in occassionally to test wired clients). The TD-8817 provides dynamic addresses for a class C subnet in the x.x.x.100-200 range and both devices have fixed IPs (x.x.x.1 and x.x.x.2).

At one point I tried to to use the DIR-600 as the DHCP server (and disabled the TP-Link one) but in repeater mode it didn't appear to give out addresses at all so I switched back.

Neither device is awesome hardware but they're pretty cheap so I don't care as long as I'm getting basic wireless functionality (which I am).

Ultimately I understand there are issues to fully support ralink hardware but it would be nice if limitations/workarounds I found through trial and error were documented better. I'm not against updating the wiki myself but I wouldn't want to unless I fully understood the issues.
dragao
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you help me?
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=259859
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: