Planning to intentionally brick Buffalo WZR-600DHP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
al53
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 16:33    Post subject: Planning to intentionally brick Buffalo WZR-600DHP Reply with quote
Router: Buffalo WZR-600DHP
Builds tested: BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2
04-11-2013-r21223/buffalo_wzr-600dhp
12-12-2013-r23082/buffalo_wzr-600dhp
12-24-2013-r23204/buffalo_wzr-600dhp

I flashed to the community version of dd-wrt but I can not get more than 5Mbps trough the router (typically 4Mb down, 0.6Mb up). The branded version was working fine and now I'm stuck with a crippled router Sad

I have tried to go back to the original branded version but none of the tftp procedures worked. I used Wireshark to see what was going on at start up and don't see any sign of a boot loader. Note: this router is not bricked, so this may be the reason. It appears to ignore the boot loader if there is a good image.

I believe my only option is to intentionally brick the router to force the boot loader to initialize at start up. I really don't want to do this so any other options would be greatly appreciated.

Questions: Is the crippled bandwidth a known issue with Atheros/Buffalo routers? Has anyone reverted a non-bricked Biffalo router?

Thanks! Al
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Go tithe bottom of this page. Read the de-bricking and tftp info to revert back to stock.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-AG300H#WZR-600DHP

Should have been prepared before you flashed the community builds on it. Always know how you are getting back from someplace before you leave.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately that procedure doesn't work as I mentioned in my original post. The router boots to the firmware first so if the firmware is good then there is no tftp server present at boot time.

I haven't found any evidence online of people using tftp to flash a working Buffalo router. I need to get the thing into a bricked state to gain access to the boot loader tftp. I assume I can do another upgrade via the web UI and then pull the plug during the flash. Seems kind of drastic but appears to be the only option.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your original post doesn't say you tried that. Your post said you tried tftp.
Did you use a switch in between? Did you use windows xp? I used that guide on a wzr-hp-ag300h. Which is the same hardware.
Worked or me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried Windows, Mac, and Linux (Ubuntu), and each direct wired and with a switch. The hardware may be the same as the wzr-hp-ag300h, but I suspect the boot loader firmware is different if it worked for you in the past.
al53
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Follow up: I intentionally bricked the router by selecting a random PDF file from my desktop and flashed that as a firmware update.

On boot up the router started the tftp server and I was able to flash the Buffalo firmware. I used a direct wired Linux machine and it worked on the first attempt.
joseg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
al53 wrote:
Unfortunately that procedure doesn't work as I mentioned in my original post. The router boots to the firmware first so if the firmware is good then there is no tftp server present at boot time.

I haven't found any evidence online of people using tftp to flash a working Buffalo router. I need to get the thing into a bricked state to gain access to the boot loader tftp. I assume I can do another upgrade via the web UI and then pull the plug during the flash. Seems kind of drastic but appears to be the only option.

Answer: My router WZR-600DHP was brick, and could restore it by following the instructions in the main forum of this website however I recommend using a switch 10Mb / s, cables point to point Level 5 and finally put fixed IP 192.168. 11.2 in the pc, use linux Ubuntu in my case, this is because it is connected to the router faster, as fast connection is needed before recovering the flash
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: