Netgear WNDR4500 v2 Support?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Ceran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 20:14    Post subject: Netgear WNDR4500 v2 Support? Reply with quote
Does anyone know what the status is of support for the Netgear WNDR4500? There's a lengthy thread here, but the router database still lists it as a work-in-progress, almost a year after the initial firmware release. And the modified firmware isn't even hosted on dd-wrt.com...
Sponsor
Ceran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I downloaded and installed firmware from here. It seemed to install ok, and bring up DD-WRT's slick admin interface, but other than setting the admin username and password, I'm unable to make any change.

If I try to set my SSID or enable WPA2, my browser reports "Connection Reset by Peer" and the change fails to save. It reports the firmware version is "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/14/14)", so it's fairly recent, which is weird, because this release has made my router unusable.

Has anyone else encountered these problems? Is there any fix?[/url]
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
DO NOT USE THE FW AT MYOPENROUTER.
Here is the link to the builds. ftp://dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/04-18-2014-r23919/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:

How was I supposed to know about that? That's not listed on the site and your official router database says the WNDR4500 isn't supported. When Googling "dd-wrt wndr4500", the first result links to this forum post, which recommends downloading fw from myopenrouter, and the second result links to myopenrouter...

In any case, this doesn't help me now. After a few hard resets, the myopenrouter fw seems to be working, except it won't let me upload any new fw.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read this thread. More toward the last few pages I think. You will see about the problems resulting from flashing that firmware.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=145503&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ceran wrote:
Malachi wrote:

In any case, this doesn't help me now. After a few hard resets, the myopenrouter fw seems to be working, except it won't let me upload any new fw.

Reload Factory Firmware from Netgear's webpage. reset to factory default. Get your box back to fully functional, then you can start back loading DD-WRT.

Look around for Firmware from <Kong>. He has focused on the specific features in the chipset that includes the 4500v2. There is a specific path to follow. There are some other threads on here that have the correct loads to get to fully operational with DD-WRT.
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ceran wrote:
Malachi wrote:

How was I supposed to know about that? That's not listed on the site and your official router database says the WNDR4500 isn't supported. When Googling "dd-wrt wndr4500", the first result links to this forum post, which recommends downloading fw from myopenrouter, and the second result links to myopenrouter...

If I google, for "dd-wrt wndr4500" the first result goes here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=759414

And the 5th post (mine) shows links to the wndr4500 builds. I know the situation with the myopenrouter builds is not nice, as they hacked in support for these units before we added support for this family and this is bad, as we might no implement it the same way they did and then you have compatibility issues.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
CDMMocelet wrote:

Look around for Firmware from <Kong>.

Yes, kongac K3 builds most stable and complete on WNDR4500v2. On BS builds LEDs for example doesn't informative Wink Also, initial BS's .chk firmware can't be flashed from stock.

CDMMocelet wrote:

Reload Factory Firmware from Netgear's webpage. reset to factory default. Get your box back to fully functional, then you can start back loading DD-WRT.

It's not easy to do. Stock fw won't flash even from kongac DD-WRT WebUI, so every time I want to back to stock, I need to put WNDR4500v2 to TFTP mode, and only way I found to do so, is to erase linux MTD partition from telnet / ssh router's console with "mtd erase linux" command.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I try mtd erase linux in telnet, it says "could not erase mtd device: Linux"

I need to revert to stock. Any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
When I try mtd erase linux in telnet, it says "could not erase mtd device: Linux"

I need to revert to stock. Any help is appreciated.

The first thing to do before issuing a mtd erase cmd is to make sure what the name of the mtd partition is. Just because it was named linux in another router doesn't mean that it has the same name in another router model.

cat /proc/mtd

will show you the mtd layout and mtd device names.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
After I did mtd erase linux, I issued erase nvram and reboot.
I'm not sure the erase nvram after or the reboot command only was needed but it then when into recovery mode ttl-=100 and I was able to tftp the netgear fw back on.

Navigation

Jump to: