Linksys WRT54G V2 hot power adapter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
justyouravgnoob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:59    Post subject: Linksys WRT54G V2 hot power adapter Reply with quote
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2nd hand WRT54G V2.

It seems to be working fine, but I noticed that the power adapter is getting very warm/hot. Not so hot that it is uncomfortable to hold or touch, but I never felt a power adapter get this warm before (maybe a laptop adapter once that came close). I noticed the problem both before and after flashing it with dd-wrt; I did not change any power settings in the dd-wrt GUI.

Does anyone know if this is normal, safe, if I should consider replacing the adapter and if so, what with? I tried to find anything about this inside and outside these forums, but came up with mostly nothing, so any comments would be really appreciated Smile
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:32    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT54G V2 hot power adapter Reply with quote
justyouravgnoob wrote:
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2nd hand WRT54G V2.

It seems to be working fine, but I noticed that the power adapter is getting very warm/hot. Not so hot that it is uncomfortable to hold or touch, but I never felt a power adapter get this warm before (maybe a laptop adapter once that came close). I noticed the problem both before and after flashing it with dd-wrt; I did not change any power settings in the dd-wrt GUI.

Does anyone know if this is normal, safe, if I should consider replacing the adapter and if so, what with? I tried to find anything about this inside and outside these forums, but came up with mostly nothing, so any comments would be really appreciated Smile

For a V2 it needs to be at least a 1A (1000mA) power pack at 12V.

If its 0.5A (500mA) then it isn't the correct one for that unit...and that is why its so hot...change it....either way.

It shouldn't be that hot.

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 14:08    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT54G V2 hot power adapter Reply with quote
[quote="redhawk0"]
justyouravgnoob wrote:

For a V2 it needs to be at least a 1A (1000mA) power pack at 12V.

If its 0.5A (500mA) then it isn't the correct one for that unit...and that is why its so hot...change it....either way.

It shouldn't be that hot.

redhawk

Thanks a lot for your reply.
My adapter states 1A, 12V, and I'm pretty sure that it is the original one that came with the router. But I suppose that it simply reached the end of its life. I found similar posts in the meantime that some other people experienced a warm adapter with this router as well. Maybe it's a typical issue with this model, when it gets older.
Also read elswhere that the size of the adapter plug that goes into the router is 2.1/5.5 mm (in case anyone searching for similar info ever comes across this thread).
Cheers.
screwballl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have 2 of these, both of them run a little warmer than other router bricks but after 5+ years now, never had a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: