Igmp proxy (snooping) support

marcodor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:19    Post subject: Igmp proxy (snooping) support Reply with quote
Hi,

I installed your latest firmware v24 b14311 on my Tp-Link wr1043nd wifi router. It works great, except one issue.

My provider offer iptv service, so I unchecked filter multicast to allow igmp udp packets to reach my Dune media center connected on one of lan wired ports.

So, iptv works well, but wireless stops working because of multicasting flood.

After some googling i found some solutions, ie, separate bridge (network) for wifi (in this case i suspect rest ports of lan are also flooded), ebtables or iptables filter. But these solutions i think require more cpu usage, are less flexible and less inteligent.

IGMP Proxy (Snooping) appears to be exactly what I need. It deliver multicast packets only to hosts that asks for this service.

It appears that igmp proxy exists in DD-WRT but i can't find it on web admin interface, or i can't find some tutorial how to enable and configure it. Also some users reports 100% cpu usage after enabling it.

Any hints, docs, refferences, practices about igmp proxy?

Thanks in advice!
Sponsor
kju
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also have the problem with IPTV.
The original Linksys firmware, after the launch of IPTV will no longer work WIFI.
I was hoping that would help me DD-WRT but even that did not help.
It is interesting that the Linksys WRT160N v3 with original Linksys firmware does IPTV and WiFi without any problems.
This may be due to the fact that the wrt320n Gbit ports?
Or wrt320n has a bad design?
marcodor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kju,

The problem is that igmp proxy in ddwrt send igmp packets to all ethernet ports/ips in lan including wireles interface. This "overload" wifi.

I'm looking for a way to configure it. I found some docs in internet about igmpproxy.conf but still don't have any result. In fact it is possible to configrue igmp proxy to send packets only to hosts that ask for iptv service, or to specify explicitly destination ports. This will avoid wifi flood.

Any hints from developers?

Thanks in advice!

-
D.
kju
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, but I do not understand why the "wrt160n v3" everything goes as well with the original firmware.

The only way is probably to give LAN and Wifi on different IP ranges.
marcodor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Probably it's because igmp multicasting is better implemented in original firmware :)

Also I see actual igmp proxy in ddwrt is v 0.1 beta 2, it's too old. On 2009-10-05 final 0.1 version was released.

Also in feb - march 2010 a lot of useful implementations has been commited.

To developers: please update igmp proxy to latest version in ddwrt project, also provide an sample igmpproxy.conf file with commented settings.
kju
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is rather to send a message to one? For example, ECO or someone else.
p605sve
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 20:26    Post subject: So? Reply with quote
is there any kind of update? for the IGMP in dd-wrt. i realy like this wrt projec unlike openwrt. but im starting dissapointed with this f.. support of simple technologies like igmp protocols or whatever

WOW after 4 years, there is the same problem??!! :]] HELP!!!
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 15:27    Post subject: Re: So? Reply with quote
p605sve wrote:
is there any kind of update? for the IGMP in dd-wrt. i realy like this wrt projec unlike openwrt. but im starting dissapointed with this f.. support of simple technologies like igmp protocols or whatever

WOW after 4 years, there is the same problem??!! :]] HELP!!!

If you use a build that is 4 years old, then you will still have that problem. Recent builds have working igmp support and options to enabled/disable it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: