Asus RT-N10p

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
DocLexus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 23:01    Post subject: DD-WRT Kong "vpnkong" build 22000M, re-release (07 Reply with quote
I've been a fan of DD-WRT Kong firmware for the past few years as I own some other routers which Kong specializes in (for his DD-WRT Kong firmware builds).

These days Kong has direct update access to the official DD-WRT source code repository, so he's apparently incorporated his modifications directly into the official DD-WRT project (and thus is no longer producing his own offshoot builds). Read here for more details on that.

In my last post, I mentioned that "official" DD-WRT build series 21676 (from the OP) works correctly while build series 22118 (and higher) has Wifi issues.

Wanting to try and locate firmware between those two series, I decided to see what Kong had available. To my pleasant surprise, he recently re-released Kong build 22000 (on June 7, 2014) calling this build "22000++". In his Changelog, he wrote:

Quote:
Build r22000++ 7.June 2014 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Special security update release for old stable kongmod build.

New:

-openssl update 1.0.1h
-openvpn update

Build r22000+ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Special security update release for old stable kongmod build.

Update 04/13/2014

+Backported fixes:

ttraf overflow
dhcp renewal fix
netdev backlog tuning for faster wan-lan speed
repeater mode fix
disktype fix thx slobodan for reminding me

New:

openssl update to fix heartbleed bug

Note: Am assuming that "22000++" includes changes/updates of re-released version "22000+" from Apr 13, 2014.

There are various firmware versions listed on the Kong build 22000++ page (several of which are 11M in size, others which are 7.1M in size). Given that the RT-N10P has 8MB of Flash, I knew none of the 11M images would fit, so I decided to try and load this 7.1M firmware:

It not only successfully loaded, it worked better than I expected:

a) Wifi works

b) The Web GUI reports 64K of NVRAM even though the firmware file is clearly labeled as being an "nv32K" version

c) Have not tried loading the "nv64k" Kong version since the "nv32k" one anyway results in 64K of NVRAM. Plus, have not previously managed to successfully load any official DD-WRT "nv64k" build onto this router (where the one in the OP is not labeled "nv64k").

d) The Kong 22000++ re-released firmware build also fixes the OpenSSL "HeartBleed" bug (among other things), adds FTP, Samba, OpenVPN, and more.

Next I'll discuss fixing the WAN PORT / LAN PORT 4 issue.
Sponsor
DocLexus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 0:12    Post subject: Fixing the WAN PORT / LAN PORT 4 issue Reply with quote
Was googling around to figure out the "fix" to the WAN PORT / LAN PORT 4 issue. Some posts implied that the DD-WRT Web UI "VLANs" configuration screen ("Setup" tab, sub-tab "VLANs) could be used. I tried configuring changes in there to no avail.

Found some other posts which indicated that VLAN configuration could be changed via NVRAM variable settings. That's where I ulimately figured out a solution.

In my searches I came across this DD-WRT Wiki entry for adding a 2nd WAN port to the router (i.e. converting one of the existing LAN ports into a 2nd WAN port).

In this case, a 2nd WAN port isn't needed, but the instructions above enabled me to figure out the solution.

The following are the default VLAN settings for NVRAM variables vlan0ports and vlan1ports

Code:
# nvram get vlan0ports
1 2 3 4 5*

# nvram get vlan1ports
0 5

The output from the commands above are logical port numbers assigned to either vlan0ports (the LAN interface VLAN) or vlan1ports (the WAN interface VLAN). A description of the logical port numbers above can be found in this Wiki entry. Notice that vlan0ports is comprised of logical ports 1, 2, 3, 4 while vlan1ports is comprised of logical port 0.

Note: Logical port 5 is a special purpose port (explained in the Wiki entry above) so is being ignored in the explanation portion of this post.

Given that PHYSICAL LAN PORT #4 is what's currently the active WAN port on the router, that means it must be internally assigned as logical port 0. Since the PHYSICAL WAN PORT is on the opposite end of the router as PHYSICAL LAN PORT #4, it's reasonable to assume that the PHYSICAL WAN PORT is internally assigned as logical port 4.

All that needs to be done is to move logical port 0 (PHYSICAL LAN PORT #4) to vlan0ports (the LAN interface VLAN) and logical port 4 (PHYSICAL WAN PORT) to vlan1ports (the WAN interface VLAN). That can be done easily via command line in a telnet/ssh session:

Code:
nvram set vlan0ports="0 1 2 3 5*"
nvram set vlan1ports="4 5"
nvram commit
reboot

Thereafter, the PHYSICAL WAN PORT should be the actual WAN port and PHYSICAL LAN PORT #4 should be back on the LAN.

For those who are technically challenged and don't know how to establish a telnet/ssh session, the entire process can be implemented through the web interface as well.

1) Open up the web interface, login, navigate to the "Administration" tab

2) Click on the "Commands" sub-tab

3) Pull up the existing vlan0ports and vlan1ports settings first by populating the "Commands" text box with this (don't type the word "Code:"):
    Code:
    nvram get vlan0ports;sleep 1;nvram get vlan1ports

Note: The above is one continuous line of commands. The "sleep 1" statement has been added to prevent an error message about nvram locking.

4) Click the "Run Commands" button, expect this output:
    Code:
    1 2 3 4 5*
    0 5

5) Clear out whatever is in the "Commands" text box and enter this (don't type the word "Code:"):
    Code:
    nvram set vlan0ports=\"0 1 2 3 5*\"

6) Scroll down & Click "Run commands" button

7) Clear out whatever is in the "Commands" text box and enter this (don't type the word "Code:"):
    Code:
    nvram set vlan1ports=\"4 5\"

8) Scroll down & Click "Run commands" button

9) Clear out whatever is in the "Commands" text box and enter this (don't type the word "Code:"):
    Code:
    nvram commit

10) Scroll down & Click "Run commands" button

Note: If you receive one or two lines of output stating "nvram lock, waiting", ignore it and continue onto the next step.

11) Now verify the changes by repeating step #3: Clear out whatever is in the "Commands" text box and enter this (don't type the word "Code:"):
    Code:
    nvram get vlan0ports;sleep 1;nvram get vlan1ports

12) Click the "Run Commands" button, expect this output (which is now slightly different than the output in step #4):
    Code:
    0 1 2 3 5*
    4 5

Note: Ignore any "nvram lock" error message appearing between the two lines of output.

13) If the output in step #12 is as expected, the LAN and WAN ports will be fixed upon next router reboot. To reboot now, clear out whatever is in the "Commands" text box and enter this (don't type the word "Code:"):
    Code:
    reboot

14) Scroll down & Click "Run commands" button

Last edited by DocLexus on Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:30; edited 2 times in total
maverick915
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
DocLexus - Wow, that's great to hear. I've been too timid to keep messing around with things once I got it working well enough. (I'm still having issues with the parental settings, but not biggie).

Please post your info on the LAN4 / WAN port fix as soon as you can.

DocLexus wrote:

I've been able to get mine working w/ a DD-WRT version that's roughly equivalent to DD-WRT "big" or DD-WRT "mega," and I've also managed to fix the WAN PORT / LAN PORT 4 issue. Will post details about both of those in follow-up posts.
DocLexus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
maverick915 wrote:
Please post your info on the LAN4 / WAN port fix as soon as you can.
Oh the irony. You probably didn't realize that this thread continued onto PAGE 2, since your request above appeared DIRECTLY after my post which provided the LAN4 / WAN port fix (where I posted my details the day before your follow-up request). Cool
maverick915
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Damn you page 2!
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
anybody know the specs of this unit? processor, memory(flash and ram) and whether it could take 3.x builds. too bad no USB port.

seems like maybe this is a broadcom/asus specific issue where the last version where wifi worked on the 2.6 platform is 21676(same thing affects the RT-N16)

very intriguing device that can be had for 5-9$ after rebates and promo codes on Newegg.

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
DocLexus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
madman999 wrote:
anybody know the specs of this unit? processor, memory(flash and ram)
See this link which I posted in my reply about Kong 22000++ firmware:
RT-N10P has 8MB of Flash

madman999 wrote:
and whether it could take 3.x builds. too bad no USB port.
See my initial post in this thread (bottom of page 1), point #1, regarding my attempts at K3.x builds.

madman999 wrote:
seems like maybe this is a broadcom/asus specific issue where the last version where wifi worked on the 2.6 platform is 21676(same thing affects the RT-N16)
I wrote that Kong version 22000++ works (for me). One thing I've since discovered though is that hidden SSIDs don't seem to work (at least when hiding the primary SSID while exposing a virtual SSID). Don't know if that's the case w/ 21676 firmware.

madman999 wrote:
very intriguing device that can be had for 5-9$ after rebates and promo codes on Newegg.
$10 AR/AC on Newegg right now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320158
kwnotgood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 0:48    Post subject: Cannot get rt-n10p to flash to dd-wrt Reply with quote
First I am very new to this and to not understand all of it and I asking for help. Cannot get rt-n10p to

flash to dd-wrt I have tried to flash to dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12C1.trx also dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N10.trx
I have logged into 198.168.1.1 went admin and firmware update and browsed to the file and then hit update I
I have followed the above but no luck

get a error saying update not successful. I tried by wire and wireless to no luck. As I said i am new to

this and cannot seem to get this right. Can someone please assist I would be very thankful.
I really can use some help
mrdjman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 17:56    Post subject: au contraire... Reply with quote
I do believe I DID brick my brand new router... I went into recovery mode...uploaded the file at the beginning of the thread...it seemed to have worked, as it rebooted...but now - NOTHING. It won't go back into recovery mode to attempt it again...

H-E-L-P...please...

I am also very new to this...obviously...and i'm also respectfully requesting some help.
mrdjman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 18:58    Post subject: Uhmmm....NVMD... Reply with quote
So...I read/re-read this thread...thinking...I can't be THAT stupid...and it turns out...I am...but only for a while.

It was the whole WAN/LAN port switcheroo that messed me up. Once I swapped cables...*POOF* DD-WRT interface is right there. AWESOME... Now let me see what else I can break... Laughing
kwnotgood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 18:11    Post subject: mrdjman Reply with quote
Would you be kind enough to give me exact details as I have tired everything and I cannot get the dd firmware to update I have not bricked the router but I stuck with Asus firmware. Believe me I know what feeling stupid is like. Also can you tell me firmware you used?

Thank you
mrdjman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 19:38    Post subject: Re: mrdjman Reply with quote
kwnotgood wrote:
Would you be kind enough to give me exact details as I have tired everything and I cannot get the dd firmware to update I have not bricked the router but I stuck with Asus firmware. Believe me I know what feeling stupid is like. Also can you tell me firmware you used?

Thank you

You've got a PM.
mrdjman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 23:32    Post subject: Back to the drawing board... Reply with quote
Well..I thought I had it. Comcast just hooked up my Blast today...and I couldn't get online through the router to save my soul.

Re-flashed OEM firmware, and it works fine. Guess i'll try it again when i'm not so frustrated.
mrdjman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 18:56    Post subject: Speed Change Reply with quote
Seems like a dead thread, but i'll ask anyway - perhaps the crickets have an answer...

Has anyone noticed a substantial speed change when this router is in place? Direct-connect to the modem, I can get 100 Mbps down/11 Mbps up....but when I put the router in the middle...45 Mbps down and 11 up... I know it should cut the speed in half on a wireless connection...but this is wired - Cat 6 cable...

Anyone?
mrdjman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, if the crickets have the answer...they ain't talkin.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: