DD-WR. T router, Windows 8.1 no WiFi...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
dbhost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:41    Post subject: DD-WR. T router, Windows 8.1 no WiFi... Reply with quote
Before I get bashed for buying a Windows laptop, my wife isn't real tech savvy, and is not a fan of even Ubuntu... Having said that...

We have a Lenovo Flex2 15D cheap laptop, that I literally unboxed earlier today, that works great on WiFi, everywhere but at home, with our Buffalo WZR-600DHP DD-WRT I first attempted with build 23720 which needed to be updated desperately, and now with build 24461.

The WiFi connection wizard runs until it spits out an Unable To connect to this network error. Looking at the Event logs I see Event ID 40000 the content of the information log shows...

The Network Diagnostics Framework has completed the diagnosis phase of operation. The following repair option was offered:

Helper Class Name: RNWF MSM Helper Class

Root Cause: Wireless association to "WUNderful" failed
A response was not received from the router or access point.

Root Cause Guid: {0576ac9e-f3d4-4148-ac43-0820b503d3b3}

Repair option: Resetting your wireless network adapter
This will disable and then enable the network adapter "Wi-Fi" on this computer.

RepairGuid: {07d37f7b-fa5e-4443-bda7-ab107b29afb9}

Seconds required for repair: 300

Security context required for repair: 80

Interface: Wi-Fi ({41b931ed-db6d-49e8-8820-ea6ff1f1255f})

I have tried all the troubleshooting steps the Windoze community tells me about. Is there something I need to do to the router to make this play nice?
Sponsor
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
reset your Buffalo with 30-30-30 and do setup from scratch... on wifi put weak security (like WEP) for testing with your laptop... and see wiki QCA settings...
danymarc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mile-Lile wrote:
reset your Buffalo with 30-30-30 and do setup from scratch... on wifi put weak security (like WEP) for testing with your laptop... and see wiki QCA settings...

I agree with security, the other solution, set Buffalo to 20 MHz, one of the 2 will make the trick, but both mean downgrading your network, and the issue resides on Laptop, if you don't mind disable wireless adapter in Lap and buy a cheap 150Mbps Wireless N Nano USB Adapter TL-WN725N and problem solved
Link to Nano http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?categoryid=&model=TL-WN725N
gadgetpig
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would agree to try 20mhz only for now, and use inSSIDer 3.1.2.1 (try majorgeeks) or netsurveyor freeware to scan/select an unused wireless channel 1,6,or 11 (if available) or something else.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/inssider.html

http://nutsaboutnets.com/netsurveyor-wifi-scanner/

Also try to use WPA2 Personal + AES only on the router, and be sure to "forget" your existing windows 8 wireless SSID and attempt to reconnect. IIRC,the wireless card on that machine is "LiteOn" which is not very common.

worse case scenario, you may be able to replace your wireless with wireless from another notebook, or look on eBay for "Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235",they're under $20 and have better driver support. Just make sure the wireless card matches your existing card's format/size (i.e. mini-half pci-e)
dbhost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't had an opportunity to get the reset done. There is a lot on this network that needs to be redone if I do a reset on the router...

I should mention there are is a decent number of other devices on the WiFi network, all Wireless N, 3 HP WiFi printers, 2 android phones, 1 iPhone, 2 Android tablets, and all work flawlessly. However this Lenovo is stubborn...

I have a small USB WiFi dongle I might just toss on this thing to see if it can talk...
dbhost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got the 30-30-30 reset done. A painful amount of reconfiguration as I had to re establish DNLA and reset the wife on my devices but they are all back online including the laptop...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: