Linksys Power Supply Mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
MongooseProXC
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 18:35    Post subject: Linksys Power Supply Mod Reply with quote
I wanted to run this idea for a hardware mod across everybody to see if you have any thoughts or ideas. Also, it may help someone else.

The story is that certain circumstances arose and my once wired connection to my main PC now has to go wireless. I found that my second router, an E1500, gives really good performance in client bridge mode.

It works fine as it is now, but if I don't unplug it, it is always on and draining power. So I thought, why not power the bridge off of my computer's power supply?

Here's my idea:

I planed on taking a standard Molex connector off of a case fan or something for its wire. I would splice the 12v wire and the ground to a DC power supply tip while noting the polarity. That way, the bridge will turn on and off with the PC.

Does anybody foresee any problems doing this? My primary concern is breaking my PC/Router.

Any input is appreciated.
Sponsor
shiekh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are master/slave power strips just for this purpose.

One socket (the master) gets monitored, and the slave follows; that way the router would turn off with the computer.

I use one with a fan for the TV, so the kids don't forget.
Lunas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not a bad idea as one of the common failure points is the wall wart I don't see any particularly bad reasons to do or not do this only things that may be of concern is current limiting a pc can supply up to around 50 amps per 12 rail most routers are provided with
.5 - 2A and they don't have a real fancy power conditioning circuit they rely much on the wall adaptor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: