Support for netgear R6300 / R6300v2 ?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 52, 53, 54  Next
jimfree
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
@borice, my current up time with build 24345M with NEWD and torrent is 7 days 12 hours. If I hadn't rebooted the router to try to fix a wifi problem with one device it would be closer to 15 days. I think the problem was with the device (LG BluRay) but never did find out for sure. Rebooting both devices didn't help but the problem disappeared the next day.

I don't yet have any 5GHz devices so haven't tried any of the AC Features and can't address the beam forming question.

I do use minidlna for streaming video and except for the one incident first mentioned have had zero problems. Doing the speed test supplied by Vudu it hits the maximum measured speed of 9G+ to my LG tv in one room and the LG bluray located in another room.

Although I haven't used the bit torrent feature a lot when I have the download speed has approached the limit of my ISP, 15MBps.

For minidlna I have an attached 3Tbyte Seagate drive formatted as NTFS. I know NTFS is not the fastest file transfer speed but it is sufficient for my purposes and I'm too lazy to take the time to change. If it does become an issue I will probably move to ext3 or 4.

Summary, I strongly recommend 24345M for your R6300V2.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the one thing that doesn't work for me is the wifi site survey. The wifi-viz does work. But since I have several other tools to survey the network its not a problem worth complaining about.
Sponsor
borice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you, @jimfree.

Do you observe any webif sluggishness when browsing the dd-wrt administration interface? For me clicking from section to section seems to take on the order of a few seconds (6-7).... and I don't think there should be a reason for that...

-borice
jimfree
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
borice wrote:
Thank you, @jimfree.

Do you observe any webif sluggishness when browsing the dd-wrt administration interface? For me clicking from section to section seems to take on the order of a few seconds (6-7).... and I don't think there should be a reason for that...

-borice

I haven't noticed any sluggishness when changing screens from my Vista desktop or my Android tablet. It has always been responsive for me.

Edit: I thought I should qualify that a bit. When performing updates (Apply button) time varies but even then only a few seconds.
borice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
@jimfree

For example if I am on the "setup" tab and I click on the "wireless" tab, it takes about 7-9 seconds for the wireless tab to come up.

I've used dd-wrt before with many other routers over the years, but never felt the interface was as slow. I do have the other NEWD firmware without transmission...

What I did when I installed it was:
1. From default netgear firmware, I installed the dd-wrt.K3_R6300V2.chk from the "initial" folder
2. I then upgraded via the dd-wrt interface to the STD_NEWD version 24345M
3. I then reset the router via the reset button on the back (push for 10 seconds)
4. Configured as needed.

Was there some step I missed?

Thanks again!

-borice
jimfree
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
@borice

That would be a mystery to me. I just went through all the tabs using Firefox, IE and then Chrome. Switching tabs was nearly instantaneous in all cases. I think I've seen some postings regarding dd-wrt refresh speeds but I don't remember where. It may have been in the R7000 thread, a lot more discussion going on there. I follow it since they use the same builds as the R6300v2.

Edit: Always seem to hit the submit button too soon. No, it doesn't look like you missed anything. I think the recommendation however is to reset to factory defaults using the webif rather than the reset button. You could try that and see if it helps. It just means re-entering all of your settings again.
borice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh wow. I just tested using a different browser (Safari) and it was instantaneous. I'm puzzled. I only use Firefox, and I have the latest version, and never had a problem. Something must be different this time (maybe some addon I installed recently). I'll have to check.

Thanks for telling me about your experience -- it made me try another browser!

EDIT: Found the culprit -- I installed an addon called "Cookie Manager" which was causing the slowdown I was experiencing with dd-wrt. Uninstalled and all works great again.

-borice

Last edited by borice on Fri Jul 04, 2014 0:00; edited 1 time in total
jimfree
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
@borice

Sometimes you never know. Ah, the simple things in life. Glad it helped at least a little.

Jim
jimfree
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 18:28    Post subject: Build 24500M on R6300v2 Reply with quote
After reading a few postings on the R7000 thread, some not to positive, I thought it appropriate to mention my experience with 24500M after 17 hours of up time. In short, everything seems to be as it should be. I upgraded without resetting. The only issue experienced was that the clock reverted to UTC which was one of the problems some experienced with the R7000. I didn't change anything but I did hit the Apply Settings button on the setup tab which changed the time to the proper time zone. Unfortunately for those with the R6300v1 Kong could only supply an ARM version so 24500M is not currently available.
disafan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 15:40    Post subject: 5GHz not working Reply with quote
I've just flashed an AC1450 with the 7/7 release noted here. I've been looking, and I can't find anyone with the same problem I am having, and thought I might seek some advice.

The 2.4GHZ wireless is working fine. But nothing can connect to 5GHZ. I've tried different settings, different devices, rebooting, etc. But it just can't connect.

Anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions?
ls1chevelle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 13:26    Post subject: DD-WRT on Charter issued R6300v2 Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I should start my own thread here but I assume it would be less clutter and more polite to post within in this thread...

The unit I have was issued to me by my local provider (Charter), which I opted for based on initial research indicating it was supported. I have had no luck putting any kind of firmware onto this device. Every attempt from the gui is rejected with a message..

This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product.

I've attempted pushing it via tftp and it reverts back to the stock firmware.
This firmware V1.0.3.6_1.0.63CH I presume is custom built for charter as it has a preset SSID (MyCharterWiFiXX-2G, MyCharterWiFiXX-5G) and key that matches a sticker which came affixed to it. Resetting to factory settings reinstates these SSIDs.

Let me know what I can provide to assist in getting past this. Thanks in advance!

i just came accross this...
"The new router, built by Netgear (model R6300 v2, but outfitted with a Charter-specific version of firmware), - See more at: http://multichannel.com/news/technology/charter-offer-high-octane-home-wifi/373924#sthash.ThSmF1C8.dpuf"
jimfree
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ls1chevelle

Charter probably has their own board_id assigned. If the firmware you are trying to load doesn't match then it won't work. The board_id for the R6300v2 is U12H240T00_NETGEAR. If you can SSH or telnet into the router you can get the board_id by entering "nvram get board_id", no quotes of course. There have been success stories of folks that have changed the id via telnet or SSH and then doing the update on routers not supported but having same hardware. Specifically successfully done on the AC1450. I would wait and see if kong has any input before trying that.

If you do decide to change the id I would keep a record of the Charter id in case you need to revert.
ls1chevelle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
The board ID is U12H240T70_NETGEAR
FWIW I dont mind bricking this thing.. charter will just bring me a new one......... so how can I modify a firmware file to match the target board Id? hex editor?
Thank you for your input BTW...
jimfree
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
There was some discussion on how to do this a few pages back in this thread, I think on page 14. The command used was "burnboardid U12H240T00_NETGEAR" to make the change for an AC1450. Even though Kong didn't recommend it and ultimately added the AC1450 to the supported list. It did work however. I take no responsiblity Laughing but if Charter will give you another one if needed what have you got to lose?
ls1chevelle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 20:42    Post subject: No Telnet/ssh access Reply with quote
Okay I somehow forgot to mention the fact that I have not been able to gain a shell on the device. I've tried the telnetenable magic trick but I got a 10057 error or something similar...

So the fact that I don't have the means to serial into it at this time. I was hoping to attempt a solution by simply adding/modifying the firmware "supported list" to satisfy or otherwise trick the router into taking the firmware...
I'm sure charter is good for delivery of at least 2 probably 3 "warranty" units before they start to raise an eyebrow...
jimfree
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ls1chevelle ... How did you get the boardid if you were not able to telnet or SSH to the router?

For the first load you need to use a specific .chk file coded for your router. After that you would then use a .bin for the version you want. Kong has created an initial load .chk for each of the models he supports. I looked at the .chk for the R6300v2 and the boardid is there. I'm guessing it is part of the header. Maybe, a BIG MAYBE, if you were to use a binary editor to change it it MIGHT work. Not something I would try, I'm not that brave.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 52, 53, 54  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 19 of 54
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: