cannot open port - router behind another router

icefire
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 15:38    Post subject: cannot open port - router behind another router Reply with quote
So I've got the following setup: cable modem in bridge mode, one WR-1043ND wireless router connected to it (acting as a router) and one D-Link DIR-615 router connected to the WR-1043ND and serving as a second access point.

I need the second wireless router because there is no other way to have sufficient wifi coverage. The main router (WR-1043ND) has its original firmware and the second router (DIR-615) has dd-wrt.

The two routers are connected as per this manual: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

I want to remotely access both routers from the internet. I have no trouble accessing the TP-link router but I cannot access the second router because the port is always closed.

On the main router I have forwarded the port to the IP address of the second router (192.168.1.2) but it is still closed...

What can I do? Thanks!
Sponsor
jimmyco2008
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're using different ports for each router, right?

Try setting the "inner router"'s remote port to something like 666. So to access the inner router remotely, you would type in 26.117.205.12:666 (assume your IP address to the Internet is 26.117.205.12).

For clarification, you'd go to the web address 26.117.205.12 (or whatever your ISP-set IP address is to the Internet), and then a colon : and then the port number you've set for remote management of the inner and outer routers. By default it's 8080, but both routers can't be 8080.

So it should be:

Internet -- Modem -- Outer Router (Port 8080) -- Inner Router (Port 666)

And I believe it's TCP 8080, TCP 666, not UDP. "Both" will work, as well (when you're forwarding 666 from the outer router to the inner router). Also, be sure to avoid using "important" ports when deciding which port to use for the inner router (something tells me you won't be going with 666 Razz ). Generally, any three-digit number is ideal, just don't use, say, 53 or 21 or 22, etc.

Actually, assuming you don't host a website on this network, you could set the outer router's remote management port to be 80, and the inner can be 8080. That way, you just have to type in the IP address to reach the outer router.

You could also configure the outer router as a PPTP VPN server, VPN into it with your phone/computer/tablet, and access both the inner and outer routers with their local IPs, say 192.168.1.1, etc.

Options abound!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: