WRT54G vs WRT160N (yes, I know one is N300 and the other G)

jimmyco2008
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 23:13    Post subject: WRT54G vs WRT160N (yes, I know one is N300 and the other G) Reply with quote
Hey all,

So first of all, it's not quite that simple. Before you say "WRT160N, you dumbass", hear me out-

I have a few WRT160Ns and a few WRT54Gs, and I've used them both as repeaters, which is kind of what I'm going for here. In my experience, and perhaps this is just an ill setting on my part, but I've found the WRT54G to be more reliable and unless it's placebo effect it seems the range is better than the WRT160N's as well.

Can anyone out there offer insight? I know that the WRT54Gs go for more on eBay than the WRT160Ns (even though they're only capable of G speeds), and I've read that the WRT160N has issues with connectivity, but that may or may not be solved with DD-WRT.

I'm considering a mesh network, and so far I've had nothing but problems with the 160Ns, when set as repeaters that broadcast a new WiFi network, nothing will connect, not Macs not PCs not iPhones not Android phones... Other times devices can connect, but the repeating router won't assign an IP. Sometimes it works flawlessly. Very unpredictable, though.

Meanwhile, the 54Gs have been reliable as can be, they aren't particularly fast at 54Mbps, but they're reliable, responsive, they just work. Also, they support more features from DD-WRT given the flash size... Not to mention they have dipole antennas vs the 160Ns internal antennas, which don't seem all that great...

Anything I'm missing? Any insight? Tips? Anyone wanna back up one over the other?
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
The g units hav external antennas, which often provide better signal quality.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: