Connecting one router to another.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
yossi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 14:33    Post subject: Connecting one router to another. Reply with quote
Very new to networking so bear with me please.

1. Cable line comes into the basement and cable modem is hooked up to a wrt54g with stock rom.

2. Signal does not reach second floor. I have a cat5 cable running from one of the ports on the wrt54g through the walls and exit in the second floor.

3. On second floor I have a netgear WNDR3300 with dd-wrt. I plugged the ethernet into one of the 4 ports of router so I would have wireless coverage upstairs. The router cannot get an IP ( i get popup messages about two computers sharing the same IP) and internet access from that router keeps dropping.

I understand I need to setup the second router in a certain way to have it act as a "bridge"?

Can you please provide me with all the steps needed on the second router? Anything I would need to do on the first router in the basement?

I cant use it as a wireless repeater since the signal from the basement does not make it to the top, hence the cat5 cable I ran.
Sponsor
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
good thing you ran the cable. this wiki should have the info you need.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
yossi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks, so in short, if I disable DHCP on the second router, that should do the trick? Whenever i try to disable and then hit apply changes, the page goes blank to a "not connected" page and when I reload the router page, it still shows DHCP enabled
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
there are several steps in the instructions. Just follow them.

deactivating DHCP server on router #2 is one of them. on router #2, You also have to disable the SP1 firewall Assign Wan Port to switch, Make the wireless SSID and security the same as router #1 but on a different channel.

also make sure router #2 has a static IP address that is the same range as the IP address of router #1.

so if router #1 is 192.168.1.1

make router #2 192.168.1.2

after making changes, try hitting Save first and then Apply second.

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
cdmarshall
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
thanks, so in short, if I disable DHCP on the second router, that should do the trick? Whenever i try to disable and then hit apply changes, the page goes blank to a "not connected" page and when I reload the router page, it still shows DHCP enable

Make sure you shut the DHCP off under the Network Address Server Settings (DHCP) Section of the setup tab. I would disable it as well as uncheck all the options selected. and normally I hit save and then apply (I have had the greatest success that way)

I would then reboot the router to ensure it unloads the DHCP Bindings

let me know if you have any issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: