Help with Youtube throttling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
e3000usr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:25    Post subject: Help with Youtube throttling Reply with quote
I have a new internet service and it causes Youtube throttling. Testing speeds it shows faster than my last service but during some times it throttles and I can't view any youtube videos in high quality. I've read online to enter commands to fix, but am not sure what IP addresses to use. Can someone help me?

Here is an example:

iptables -I FORWARD -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 206.111.0.0/16 -j REJECT

They say to use a program to find the server causing the throttling (and replace the 206.111.0.0/16) and use that IP address range but I have no idea what I'm doing! Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Sponsor
e3000usr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
please help!
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Who is your isp? What service and how much bandwidth did you buy?
e3000usr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
century link in the American southwest. 25mb speed.
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
e3000usr wrote:

DSL? I used to be lucky to get 1.5mb on my phone lines in Tucson. Remember the "up to".

Good luck

Dave
advcomp2019
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have Qwest/CenturyLink. I have the same issue as e3000usr. I found out it is a YouTube link issue to the ISP, just like people with Netflix getting throttled on Comcast.

By the way, I have a 12Mbps DSL connection.
e3000usr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:
e3000usr wrote:

DSL? I used to be lucky to get 1.5mb on my phone lines in Tucson. Remember the "up to".

Good luck

Dave

only reason I switched back to centurylink is because they just put in fiber. I have the cheapest plan and it is much faster than cox cable. speed tests show it is faster. But youtube throttles me. There is some way to trace what servers are doing the throttling and enter their ip range into the firewall using the code I first posted. I'd appreciate any help anyone can give.
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I doubt there is anything you can do.
It is a part of the new "Net neutrality" going on.
Once the FCC got slapped in court with a "you don't have the authority to enforce Net neutrality." the service providers here in the states jumped on it.
Now the service providers throttle certain types of traffic and in essence are double dipping.
We the users get charged a monthly fee for internet then certain companies like Netflix, Youtube and other high volume service providers are being told they can either pay a hefty fine or have their traffic throttled.
So far Netflix has paid several hefty fees to companies like Verizon & AT&T to restore the customers streaming performance.

Basically it is your internet service provider throttling services like Netflix. You can only vote with your wallet & contact your internet service provider along with google who owns youtube.

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
advcomp2019
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
slidermike is right. You can't fix it by a simple command or fix. I have been putting up with this for about a month or so. The only way I can see how to fix it is with an external VPN service.
e3000usr
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
advcomp2019 wrote:
slidermike is right. You can't fix it by a simple command or fix. I have been putting up with this for about a month or so. The only way I can see how to fix it is with an external VPN service.

But the lines I posted to put in the firewall script have worked for other people, I just need help finding out which ip range to use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: