VPN and DNS settings

Gotenks123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 0:06    Post subject: VPN and DNS settings Reply with quote
I have joined a premium VPN service and have input all the relavent setting into service > openVPN etc. into my ddwrt big build.

Ok so I couldn't access the internet from my router after I had my VPN service running, unless I input DNS setting 1 and 2 as 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Is there a way I can use DHCP instead?

I am very new to this and have figured this out with trial and error.

P.s I found this guide, would this be the answer? Or can you suggest a better way?
Thank you

[edit]Static Route
Instead of having a default router set up on the router, you can push a static route to client computers. This is useful, for instance, if you have a VPN server that is NOT the DD-WRT router. This will offload the router from having to redirect packets to the correct destination and will take one hop off the traffic path.
***Remember that the static route will not show up on the client computers UNTIL they request a new ip***
To accomplish this, we use DHCP option 121 (which replaced option 33) and allows you to use the netmask:
dhcp-option=121,x.x.x.x/yy,z.z.z.z
Where x.x.x.x is the destination LAN, yy is the CIDR notation (usually /24), and z.z.z.z is the host which will do the routing.
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: