Linksys WRT1900AC/Marvell support

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 152, 153, 154  Next
jalyst
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obviously it's the stated aim, sounds like they don't have full agreement yet, & may never.
What they've made clear, is that they're working towards this, will it finally pan out, we'll have to W&S.
God knows we've already waited heaps, a little bit longer isn't much...
You seem really keen for this to "fall flat on it's face" (since day 1 really), I wonder why.

Having another vibrant SoC provider in the F/OSS world is (mostly) a good thing.
Are we close to that yet, ofc not, are we taking the 1st steps in that direction, maybe, maybe not.
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
jalyst wrote:

You seem really keen for this to fall flat on it's face (since day 1 really), I wonder why.

No, but I know very well how reluctant all radio silicon manufacturers are about releasing the source, Atheros(Qualcomm), Broadcom, MediaTek (RaLink) they all keep it closed source and there is no reason to believe that Marvell for the first time would release the source for the latest of their radios.
Yes, I think Belkin (who is only a customer of a design house approved by Marvell to do customer designs) are only wiggling, has promised too much from the beginning and are now trying to buy time.

Miracles do happen sometimes, lets see in the near future.
jalyst
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
and there is no reason to believe that Marvell for the first time would release the source for the latest of their radios. Yes, I think Belkin are only wiggling, has promised too much from the beginning and are now trying to buy time. Miracles do happen sometimes, lets see in the near future.

Yes, we know how much you love to hate Belkin/Linksys*, but let just W&S, mmmkay...
I agree their chances are wearing very thin now, they really only have wks -if not days- to clarify all this fully.

*& we know you feel completely justified given your personal experience
gufus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
The precompiled binary wifi driver is of no use other than for the specific kernel version it is compiled for.

Ya. Sad

They know it, and we know it.

<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't want to be a spoiler, but let me remind you, that opensource does not mean the driver is usable right away.

Most likely it needs to be cleaned up and restructured in order to integrate it correctly and to be able to maintain it in the long term.

For non openwrt firmwares it will also take time to integrate wireless settings specific for this radio into a webif.

Not to forget about the bug fixing for this driver. The driver might be running stable if used with the basic feature set of a linksys firmware, but once advanced features come in to play you can bet, that there will be a lot of tricky bugs that need to be fixed.

I have fixed bugs in broadcom drivers before that don't show up in oem fw simply because oem firmware does not offer a feature or two that causes problems.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes well aware of that, but a very relevant point nonetheless, certainly for others who may not have understood that.

We don't even move to that step yet, still waiting on absolute certainty of full open-sourcing, could be continued "talk".

Hopefully we'll be given a final & conclusive 'yes' or 'no' in the coming days, not weeks or months. Rolling Eyes
XenonKilla
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
People should just keep emailing Belkin and tell them to put out a v2 hardware revision with a BROADCOM CHIP since we all know that Marvell is For the Fail! Rolling Eyes
gufus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=241243#p241243

carlos.quiron
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 14:29    Post subject: firmware Reply with quote
So? Always going to be a version of the best firmware ever to the best router ever?
jalyst
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
What? If you're referring to dd-wrt, not likely...

OpenWRT or Other alt fw's including low lvl dvr support?
That's still up-in-the-air...

One or more alt. fw will (or do already in some shape/form) eventually support it.
But not yet at the dvr lvl, that remains to be seen...

Don't be lazy, try reading the last 5 pages, at least...
gufus
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now what?

FYI
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=242104#p242104

Personally, I hope DD-WRT will move forward with this.

LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
To paraphrase Detective Lt. Columbo, "there is something here that I don't fully understand."
Why wasting time creating a HAL/API for hiding the underlying hardware and its functions if the intention is to make it a fully open source software in the near future?
I just can't make sense out of that, anyone care to explain it for me?

Last edited by LOM on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:43; edited 1 time in total
jalyst
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm almost done giving these clowns the "benefit of the doubt"...
And I've made that much clear in that thread (& encouraged others to consider the same).
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well did anyone really expect something different?

Just read my post from the 6th January:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=256298&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I said it month ago before they unit was even released:-)

Now we have a closed source mixture that allows to recompile and maybe update a kernel. But you can't fix/debug any issues in the driver itself, which is IMHO bullshit. We don't have that problem with current broadcom drivers, since BrainSlayer has access to the broadcom sources.

Without the possibility to debug and fix issues, you have to wait for Marvel/Belkin to fix things. The whole process behind that is complete nonsense. A dd-wrt user reports a bug, I might be able to reproduce it and then what?

I mean the whole process behind such a bug report/fix/update scenario is scheiße.

This bullshit is going to be continued with the Asus AC87U. The quantenna radios load a binary image from flash with a mini linux that holds the logic. So again no chance to debug/fix bugs in the wireless part and massive complexity for radio communication with the webif.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:
This bullshit is going to be continued with the Asus AC87U. The quantenna radios load a binary image from flash with a mini linux that holds the logic. So again no chance to debug/fix bugs in the wireless part and massive complexity for radio communication with the webif.

But that's only "part" of the radio config, the entire config isn't quantenna is it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 152, 153, 154  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 13 of 154
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: