Asus RT-N10p

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
DocLexus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 22:25    Post subject: Re: Speed Change Reply with quote
mrdjman wrote:
Has anyone noticed a substantial speed change when this router is in place? Direct-connect to the modem, I can get 100 Mbps down/11 Mbps up....but when I put the router in the middle...45 Mbps down and 11 up... I know it should cut the speed in half on a wireless connection...but this is wired - Cat 6 cable...
Don't have anywhere close to that bandwidth so haven't noticed any reduction in mine. If you've re-loaded DD-WRT onto your router, try disabling the SPI FIREWALL (and all other firewall options), then re-run your speed test. When connected directly to your cable modem, there is no router firewall potentially slowing down your performance.

Also, bandwidth should not get halved when connected wirelessly to the MAIN router (although wireless signal strength & wireless security can reduce its overall performance). Bandwidth is known to get halved w/ each wireless repeater/bridge you connect through.
Sponsor
mrdjman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 18:58    Post subject: Re: Speed Change Reply with quote
DocLexus wrote:
Don't have anywhere close to that bandwidth so haven't noticed any reduction in mine. If you've re-loaded DD-WRT onto your router, try disabling the SPI FIREWALL (and all other firewall options), then re-run your speed test. When connected directly to your cable modem, there is no router firewall potentially slowing down your performance.

Also, bandwidth should not get halved when connected wirelessly to the MAIN router (although wireless signal strength & wireless security can reduce its overall performance). Bandwidth is known to get halved w/ each wireless repeater/bridge you connect through.

Thanks, Doc... I had DD-WRT loaded, but couldn't get a connection for anything, so I went back to stock...which isn't bad for such a cheap router...but I may try again. I don't have any repeater/bridges in place, so it's just the Asus...
nunubutt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm trying to swap the port4 and wan back after flashing with 22000 firmware. I get to the last step and i'm getting an nvram lock, waiting...

Do you just keep trying? Or wait for it to roll.

Is there supposed to be a status after changing the ports in the steps in between?

After nvram commit I keep having to use the WPS button to clear nvram because the port swap doesn't seem like it worked. Am I missing a step?
DocLexus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
nunubutt wrote:
I'm trying to swap the port4 and wan back after flashing with 22000 firmware. I get to the last step and i'm getting an nvram lock, waiting...
That message may be safely ignored.

nunubutt wrote:
After nvram commit I keep having to use the WPS button to clear nvram because the port swap doesn't seem like it worked. Am I missing a step?
Previously I didn't thoroughly test out the web based instructions. It turns out that steps #5 and #7, while valid syntax in a shell session, needed tweaking when invoked from a web-interface. The quote " chars in those steps need to be ESCAPED with backslash \ chars. The instructions have been updated, and I've also added verification steps before the final reboot. See if the updated instructions work better for you.
nunubutt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks DocLexus,

It worked, booted up no problems. Running the get code for the port assignments shows changes.
DocLexus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Made another interesting discovery. The RT-N10P can be upgraded from STOCK Asus firmware directly to DD-WRT KONG *without* first having to load the firmware listed in the OP. Using the RECOVERY MODE web interface, successfully loaded usb-ftp-samba3-vpn-nv32k-broadcom.bin (which is not even a .trx file) onto a brand new (fresh out of the box) RT-N10P.

After the firmware "upload" completed, waited 2-3 minutes for router to automatically reboot. That didn't happen, so physically powered it OFF then powered it back ON (while holding in the WPS button for 30+ seconds, supposedly to factory reset NVRAM). Upon releasing the WPS button, router rebooted on its own 2 or 3 more times (each time it rebooted, power light and/or some other indicator lights shut off). Once the power and various other indicator lights remained on, navigated to the router's web interface where DD-WRT appeared.
bl123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
DocLexus wrote:
Made another interesting discovery. The RT-N10P can be upgraded from STOCK Asus firmware directly to DD-WRT KONG *without* first having to load the firmware listed in the OP. Using the RECOVERY MODE web interface, successfully loaded usb-ftp-samba3-vpn-nv32k-broadcom.bin (which is not even a .trx file) onto a brand new (fresh out of the box) RT-N10P.

After the firmware "upload" completed, waited 2-3 minutes for router to automatically reboot. That didn't happen, so physically powered it OFF then powered it back ON (while holding in the WPS button for 30+ seconds, supposedly to factory reset NVRAM). Upon releasing the WPS button, router rebooted on its own 2 or 3 more times (each time it rebooted, power light and/or some other indicator lights shut off). Once the power and various other indicator lights remained on, navigated to the router's web interface where DD-WRT appeared.

Sweet, this worked. Thank you DocLexus!

I had to do the recovery sequence twice to get the upload page to display, and after flashing, had do the power+WPS button twice as well before dd-wrt came up. I've done some very basic testing but so far it looks good. Thanks again.
gabin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does this firmware match for RT-N10PV2 ?
It has 4 Mb of RAM
mrdjman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
DocLexus wrote:

Doc - when you did this, does it still do the port 4 swap necessitating the telnet session to correct it?
sonarcade
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
is it a fairly straightforward process of restoring the router back to the factory firmware from DD-WRT Kong or is the move pretty irreversible?
DocLexus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
gabin wrote:
Does this firmware match for RT-N10PV2 ?
It has 4 Mb of RAM
Does the RT-N10PV2 have 4mb of RAM or 4mb FLASH? Anyway, as previously mentioned in this thread here and here, the RT-N10P (non-V2, so I guess V1) has 8mb of FLASH (it also has 32 mb of RAM). The firmware in the OP should fit in 4mb FLASH space, but the compatible Kong firmware (previously linked) is too large. Whether or not the OP firmware will work on RT-N10PV2 is for you to try out. If it's as robust as the V1, where I've previously asserted that the RT-N10P is a rather UNBRICKABLE router, then it should be safe to at least try loading DD-WRT onto the V2. Of course, proceed at your own risk.

mrdjman wrote:
Doc - when you did this, does it still do the port 4 swap necessitating the telnet session to correct it?
The LAN PORT 4 / WAN PORT swap still needs to be performed, regardless of how Kong firmware gets loaded onto the router. (It's your choice whether to do it the easy way via telnet/ssh or the elaborate way via the web interface).

sonarcade wrote:
is it a fairly straightforward process of restoring the router back to the factory firmware from DD-WRT Kong or is the move pretty irreversible?
Given that you can easily boot this router back into the miniCFE at-will (even after it's been switched over to DD-WRT), I'd venture to guess that it can be reverted back to factory firmware with ease. In fact, no need to guess: mrdjman already wrote that he switched back to stock (i.e. factory) firmware after loading DD-WRT onto the router.
mrdjman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, Doc. I had some time on my hands today, so I thought I'd tackle this again...took forever, but I finally got the WAN port switched and the router took its sweet old time in obtaining an IP.

This is further than I've gotten...however...the speed on wireless sucks. I'm supposed to have 105 mbps...on wireless...i'm lucky to get 8. Wired is as expected (not 105, but in the mid 70's...still WAAAAAAY better than 8 ).

With OEM firmware...it was a much better speed/connection... I really like the additional bells/whistles of dd-wrt, but if it's going to cause the slowdown...i'll go back...

Evidently, no one else had the issue, or i'm sure we'd have heard about it. It's not the router...works well with OEM... I'm about to give up for good.
Jon-o
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 21:22    Post subject: RT-N10P Reply with quote
Just wanted to let everyone that that I also got my RT-N10P working with DD-WRT.

I downloaded the file from OHSrob in Page 1, followed scottchiefbaker instructions exactly (Page 1), and the corrected the WAN/LAN issue by following DocLexus's instuctions using the non-tech method (no telnet/ssh session required) on Page 2.

Thank you all for your input and effort!
DomrachevIvan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also got RT-N10P work with dd-wrt.
the last beta for now is: 12-11-2014-r25628
you can get it on oficial ftp:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/12-11-2014-r25628/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-25628_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N10PLUSD1.trx

it works for me. also it's now posible to do "Client", "Bridge" and other modes.

sorry: didn't check wlan bug.
Friko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
DomrachevIvan wrote:
I also got RT-N10P work with dd-wrt.
the last beta for now is: 12-11-2014-r25628
you can get it on oficial ftp:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/12-11-2014-r25628/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-25628_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N10PLUSD1.trx

it works for me. also it's now posible to do "Client", "Bridge" and other modes.

sorry: didn't check wlan bug.

Thanks, does that version have OpenVPN under Services>VPN?

Last edited by Friko on Sun Dec 14, 2014 23:13; edited 1 time in total
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: