Repeater Mode Questions

Adamal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 21:20    Post subject: Repeater Mode Questions Reply with quote
I've got a Netgear WNDR3700 v3 that I'm trying to use as a repeater to get better wifi throughout my house.

My primary is an Actiontec from Verizon and I've flashed the Netgear with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (05/27/13) mini.

I set up the router according to the wiki on Broadcom repeaters, but when I got to step 8, it said to set STP to disabled. There's no STP in the router though. It also said to disable DHCP server, but that's not there either.

What's happening is that since I gave the Virtual Interface a different SSID, that's what's showing up on the available network list. I thought this setup was supposed to let us seamlessly move around the house between routers.

In this wiki, there's a note that says "Under "Wireless -> Basic Settings", you must use only the primary router's SSID for the physical interface to connect wireless clients and not create a new SSID for the virtual interface."

What exactly does this mean? The wiki specifically states to create a virtual interface and give it a different SSID.

Thanks! And I hope this makes sense
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
You cannot use the same ssid throughout the house with that mode. You need to create a primary, which connects the two routers, and a separate secondary, which is the ssid you connect to using that second router.

There is no need to disable dhcp as that is done automatically once you choose the mode.

There is no step 8 in the repeater setup instructions in the wiki. Perhaps you mean repeater bridge, which is different.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: