not able to run binary

jatinderjit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:31    Post subject: not able to run binary Reply with quote
I have cross-compiled a "Hello World" program on my i386 Linux host and then put it on a WRT54G running dd-wrt (using wget in binary mode) in the /tmp directory (RAMFS)

My problem is when I try to run the binary (./a.out) from the shell it says "Syntax error on line 1".

Is the shell confused and thinks that it is a shell script and not a binary executable.

I have used buildroot to build the gcc compiler and had set the target to MIPS32. The target is a WRT54G version6 running dd-wrt-micro-generic v24.
Sponsor
tosiara
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry to bump such old thread, but I would like to add some useful info about running binaries.

0. Always make sure you did "chmod +x hello"

1. "not found" means the binary was compiled against libc that is not found on the router:
Code:

root@router:~# ./hello
-sh: ./hello: not found

To verify, check the binary on your build machine, example:

Code:
# readelf -a hello1 | grep interpreter
      [Requesting program interpreter: /lib/ld-musl-mips.so.1]
# readelf -a hello2 | grep interpreter
      [Requesting program interpreter: /lib/ld-uClibc.so.0]

2. "permission denied" means wrong architecture, you have compiled using wrong platform, ex, binaries built for Atheros does not run on Broadcom:
Code:

-sh: ./hello: Permission denied

3. "file" command can give you some info, just compare with existing executables that run fine and try building again for different arch:

Code:
# file hello1
hello1: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, MIPS, MIPS32 rel2 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), corrupted section header size
# file hello2
hello2: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, MIPS, MIPS32 rel2 version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), corrupted section header size
# file hello3
hello3: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS, MIPS32 rel2 version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), corrupted section header size

4. if you get empty output, like this:

Code:
# ./hello
#

then make sure you compile with -DNEED_PRINTF flag

Hope this helps
jnjn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
tosiara wrote:
Sorry to bump such old thread, but I would like to add some useful info about running binaries.

0. Always make sure you did "chmod +x hello"

1. "not found" means the binary was compiled against libc that is not found on the router:
Code:

-sh: ./hello: not found

To verify, check the binary on your build machine, example:

Code:
# readelf -a hello1 | grep interpreter
      [Requesting program interpreter: /lib/ld-musl-mips.so.1]
# readelf -a hello2 | grep interpreter
      [Requesting program interpreter: /lib/ld-uClibc.so.0]

2. "permission denied" means wrong architecture, you have compiled using wrong platform, ex, binaries built for Atheros does not run on Broadcom:
Code:

-sh: ./hello: Permission denied

3. "file" command can give you some info, just compare with existing executables that run fine and try building again for different arch:

Code:
# file hello1
hello1: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, MIPS, MIPS32 rel2 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), corrupted section header size
# file hello2
hello2: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, MIPS, MIPS32 rel2 version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), corrupted section header size
# file hello3
hello3: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, MIPS, MIPS32 rel2 version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), corrupted section header size

4. if you get empty output, like this:

Code:
# ./hello
#

then make sure you compile with -DNEED_PRINTF flag

Hope this helps

It's really useful. Thank you.
BTW: What can I do if i've got some binary compiled for uclibc but the host is with libc and it's not possible to recompile from source code?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: