TP-LINK WDR4900 Unbrick Methods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
busterdan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:24    Post subject: TP-LINK WDR4900 Unbrick Methods Reply with quote
Hi all, I'd appreciate any help you can offer please to resurrect my bricked WDR4900.
Firstly it's been running DD-WRT for some time but I have not been able to remove it and revert back to the factory firmware. No matter what I seemed to do DD-WRT would just reset itself but not allow another firmware to be installed. Getting frustrated I stupidly ran a nvram erase command... I can't even say what it was exactly as I had been messing around so much.

All I get now is a power light and the relevant connected ethernet light. I have used various images, stock and OpenWRT combined with the TFTP flash method. Having followed various guides and adding a static IP of 192.168.0.66 and running TFTP the router did seem to instigate a connection and pull down any of the images (although renamed wdr4900v1_tp_recovery.bin). So based on everything I have read, this part of the flashing/reset seems to work but the router does not then reboot/flash the new firmware.... I've tried restarting it, doing the flash again... playing with different IP addresses etc. but the router seems to be not flashing the firmware whatever I do.

I've looked at the serial option but I don't have the cable not to be honest the expertise I think to use that method. My 4900 is a Version 1(definitely).8(possibly) version.

Any thoughts or idea's please?
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
the proper erase nvram is "mtd -r erase nvram". other than that i dont know probably serial is the only way since theres still no reset button support..

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
wrong. "erase nvram" is proper, pushing reset button for resetting nvram is proper, reset to factory default from gui is proper as well

and the only way to recover a wdr4900 is unfortunatly serial console.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have The same problem as The first post.

I have soldered four pins so i can use à usb to ttl Cable.

If i want to go a stock firmware how can i do it?
Or if i want to go to à dd-wrt image, how can i acheive it?
Can i follow The guide from openwrt site?

Quote:
This section applies to v1.x only! (version 2.0 method)

Router should be unplugged (power off), your serial line connected, terminal open and TFTP server installed not yet running.
Copy your desired openwrt image for the TPlink-WDR4900 into your TFTP server folder and rename it into openwrt.bin (to save some typing within the flash procedure).
First goal is to get the command prompt from the U-Boot bootloader on your router.
Plug in your router and be ready to type "vl" just after you see the line Autobooting in 1 seconds (Spamming "vl" around this point helps):

But change the image with a full dd-wrt image or a stock image from tp-link site?

Can you point me in the right direction, if you have a how to please write it here or in the wiki others can be helped.

I was trying to use the revert webflash provided by dd-wrt from the latest dd-wrt image and now its bricked. I didnt do a webgui reset before i tried.
Regards Niklas
ekulya
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 23:10    Post subject: Half-bricked WDR4900 Reply with quote
I have WDR4900 v1 with r24461, had a few packet loss issues over wifi, signal drops etc but it's been manageable and indeed uncoparable to tp-link's stock fw. Yesterday I attemted to create new "bridge"/reassign the existing br0, as a result I have a router, recognisable by pc, WAP cannot be seen though the lights for both bands are constantly on. cannot enter its web or cl interface, if connected to another router (WDR4300 r24461) LAN to LAN (in fact, I've tried all combinations), it "shows up" on wdr4300's info page with an IP starting 169 and begging for a reset, but r. button doesn't work, tried pretty much everything found in wiki and here (I think), I'd like to avoid jtaging/fiddling with serial, unless you guys tell me that there is absolutely no other chance to revive it.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
so your reset button dont work either, leave a comment on the ticket about it http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/3423

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: