PPTP VPN non functioning?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
zwdwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:09    Post subject: PPTP VPN non functioning? Reply with quote
Ok, this is my first time here so apologies up front if I'm going about this the wrong way.

First some info.

Router TP-Link WDR4300 DD-WRT v24 sp2 (03/25/13)std
Modem is bridged Tenda W300D

Very happy with the setup and most of what I want seems to be working well.

One of my prime reasons for flashing DD-WRT is to take advantage of the inbuilt VPN client capability. Like many I would guess in these days of smart tv's and other such devices it's often necesary to be able to appear in a different place to that which you are actually in. For BBC iPlayer service it's necessary to 'appear to be' in the UK. Since the TV has no obvious way to connect through a VPN service it seems necessary to use the routers in built client capability.

I use VyprVPN for my VPN service and have their Pro level that allows me to use different encryption though PPTP would seem sufficient in this case. I have entered the details specified on the VyprVPN webpage and restarted the router however my IP address shows the original that comes from my ISP and the VyprVPN website control panel shows no active connection so clearly it's not working. I added the commands specified so as not to allow any traffic if the VPN is not connected yet I can still access all websites.

Is there a way to make this work or is it non operational at this time?

Pretty sure I'm doing something wrong, or dumb.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

So if this is already understood, I couldn't see anything obvious from any searches.

Thanks

Zed
Sponsor
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
update to modern build

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

zwdwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

Thanks for the pointer. Tried looking at the betas directory but Filezilla cannot open the various directories under 2014. This on OS-X. Any other convenient way to find the file I need?
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
try just browse the ftp with a browser, at least on windows doing that works fine

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

zwdwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm, this apparently simple operation has my tearing at whats left of my hair!

As soon as I connect through my mobile phone hotspot I can access the directories. Connecting through the router to my ISP is a no go for seeing any files in any directories. Clearly there is some configuration issue I need to resolve.

Without going off the VPN issue, any ideas?

Oh, and now I have the 23 June 2014 beta to flash so I'll give that a try.

Thanks for everything so far Very Happy
zwdwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've updated to the latest firmware (06/23/14)std but still not having any luck to get VPN connected. It's every bit the same as before, I've setup the information as per the VyprVPN instructions for PPTP, pasted their commands into the box for no internet access without VPN, saved startup, rebooted and still all I see is my regular IP address and can visit all sites.

If you have VPN PPTP client working I'd really like to hear if you did something to make it work, just not getting very far at the moment.

I have DDNS active, can't see why that should be an issue though, maybe something else I need to turn on or off, firewall???
zwdwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
A little bit more. Something seems to be happening. As I enable and disable with an Apply Settings, after a short while I can see on the VyprVPN control panel webpage that I connect and disconnect. So it seems the connection is functioning to some extent, but I'm not getting a change of IP address, neither on the DD-WRT GUI control panel or on a website that identifies the connected computers public IP. This remains the ISP provided address.

So it seems it's doing something, sort of half a tunnel!
Ginger6
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having the exact same problem using a TP-Link TL841N v9. I've got the latest firmware and was thinking of going back a few versions, but I guess I won't now, since you had the same issue on an older version.
I've got a ticket open with VyprVPN to see if they can help figure it out. I'll let you know if I anything works.
zwdwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, and thanks for the input. It's heartening at least to know it's not just me Smile

From what I've come to understand it seems the connection between DD-WRT and the VyprVPN service is being started because it appears in their control panel but that's all. The router is not getting and setting a new IP address nor is the data passed through the tunnel. Even the VyprVPN Find my IP web page reports no connection and the original home country IP.

Given that there doesn't seem to be a huge number of people reporting this as an issue, and I'm sure it's used by more than a handful, I have to believe I have something wrong or missed. I'm a long time radio engineer but about the 5 years old level when it comes to this networking stuff so need some serious hand holding at times.

Have you tried any other settings to see if there is something we are missing that might be common knowledge to other folk?

Have you tried the OpenVPN setup? I plan to do that next to see if it's any different.

ZED
zwdwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I might have found an answer to this, but it's not encouraging.

General searching for PPTP setup found the Strong VPN site. They have a page about PPTP and DD-WRT

http://www.strongvpn.com/setup_dd-wrt_pptp.shtml

They suggest this has a high rate of failure and further say that PPTP and PPPoE can NOT be used concurrently. First time I've seen this mentioned. Since I use PPPoE to get my bridged modem to connect I guess this means no VPN for me Sad

Is that the missing link?
Ginger6
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm also running PPPoE to use my modem. So I guess that might be it. Though I have tried the OpenVPN options with no luck. The VyprVPN control panel doesn't register anything then.
zwdwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay here's an update. I have VPN working through DD-WRT. What I have found I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere other than in some off hand remarks on the websites of some VPN providers. Even my own VPN provider, Vypr VPN from goldenfrog, makes no mention that I've seen of what I think are significant and important facts for anyone who wants to make this work. So far the setup I have working is the only one that works for me and whilst I haven't tested all possible permutations it seems there are more that don't work than do.

Here's what I have right now:

Carrier provided ADSL modem/router/AP. A Huawei HG655b running stock firmware. This device is in the default configuration and provides the internet connection together with it's own firewall/NAT etc. A LAN connection from the Huawei to a Linksys E900 with DD-WRT v24 sp2 21676. The E900 is set to AutoConfig on the WAN side but is otherwise essentially default. (This was the crucial bit I think) I also have the E900 providing DHCP on it's own separated subnet. (Think this is also important).

I have my networks set such that the Huawei is 192.168.2.xxx and the E900 is 192.168.3.xxx. DNS settings on the E900 are 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, and 208.67.222.222 as per the VyprVPN setup instructions for OpenVPN.

I followed exactly the step by step offered on the VyprVPN OpenVPN setup page and with everything checked at each stage of the configuration I rebooted after the final settings, loading the startup script and my laptop connected to the E900 on a "what is my IP" shows I am now routed through the VPN.

There are no obvious indications on the DD-WRT screens that the VPN connection is working. Ony a web based what is my IP page seems to work to show your new IP address.

I appreciate that there are some shortcomings to this approach, notably double NATing, it does work, for me.

From what I've learned so far I think:

WAN connection type must be "Auto"
The second (VPN) router must be on a different subnet
DHCP type must be DHCP server

DNS settings might be important ????

More to try are other WAN configuration types, PPPTP client settings but for now I'm happily watching BBC iPlayer through the browser on my TV in a "forbidden" land.
fbonnot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
THANK YOU VERy MUCH

At last, I have managed to have a VyprVPN working connection that now let met "localize" my connection.

Same setup as yours (different brands)
Wan on 2nd router is set in autoconfig mode too.

Same comments.

Only question i have is the following as I don't fully grasp the meaning of all the line in the script.
-> What happens to my public IP if somehow, i lose the VPN connection ? Will it reverse back to the ISP one ?
Does the script "handle" this and force the connection to go through VPN, else there is no connection (I don't want the services (movies or like) I use, discover or suspect I am localizing my computer)

Anyway, thank you very much.
I have been strugling all the last weeks to set it !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: