WRT54GS - Guess Access - Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
newseed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 19:01    Post subject: WRT54GS - Guess Access - Help Reply with quote
I am a bit confused as to what I should do here. Not that savvy in stuff like this but my router is bout 9 years old and it works great. I have done one firm upgrade and it is now currently 4.50.6.

WRT54GS v4.50.6

I did not find any firmware update so I guess that is the latest.

My goal here is to be able to set up a Guest Access for a group of people that comes over my house. Of course I could use Mac Filters but it's really a pain and so this is where I ended up trying to figure a couple of thing to make this work.

1. I search my router to see if it's compatible WRT54GS

2. Next I see a handful of downloads I can choose from. I have no clue what I should and should not download. I'm not even sure what to do with it after I download it (or them).

Can anyone shed some light here in layman's term. Is it easier than I am making it out to be?

Thank you.
Eddie
Sponsor
80sguitartist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
So all you want is a "Guest" wireless network that friends can connect to (with a password) that's separate from your Local Area Network and "Private" wireless network. Is that Right?

Chances are whatever version you are running on that WRT54GS will work for that, if what I have described is what you want to do.

I can send you over step by step instructions on how to accomplish that. Luckily, you have a WRT54G(s) which should work with the instructions I send over.

I could send you over a link but I find my instructions (modified from the tutorials) usually work a little better with less headache of "Why won't this work?"
newseed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's exactly what I am trying to accomplish. Can you post that info here or send it via private message?
Thank you.
80sguitartist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well Crap dude. I immediately went to dig out my instructions and realize what I have is for using the router as both an AP (non-dhcp for Private) and a Router with Wireless (dhcp for Guest) which is definitely NOT what you want to do. Nevertheless, here is a really good link that I would say will get the job done. I used this same link from time to time for the WRT54G series. It just doesn't work so well for other Broadcom routers that I have found. It should work for you. Here's the link:

http://www.pennock.nl/dd-wrt/Multiple_BSSIDs.html

When going through this guys steps he has an Interactive area where you can put your info in and the instructions will change on what you put in. However, only some of the stuff will change. The pictures he has used will not change so don't get hung up thinking your stuff needs to match up with the pictures cause they aren't going to. Just the text on the page will change to what you entered.
newseed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
My apologies but maybe I was not clear. The instructions you gave pertains to dd-wrt which I do not have on my existing router. That link you gave states 'Click the ADD button...' which I do not have.

As I stated in my original post, I have no clue about the correct dd-wrt bin file I should download or if I even need it.

Note: I do have AP Isolation option currently turned off by default. I enabled this but it still did not give me an option to create guest access.

Wish I had a next door neighbor that knows this kind of stuff.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
newseed
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
...and I think this is really way over my head. Just not grasping about installing dd-wrt firmware, flashing this, resetting that...just too much for me to deal with.

Thank you.
80sguitartist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
My bad. I must have looked over that you are still using the Linksys firmware and have not installed DD-WRT yet.

Well, I'm gonna tell you what I think you already know. Since you don't feel very comfortable flashing the router, don't use DD-WRT. Yes, it can be tricky to install and you can "break" your router in the process. It probably is "over your head".

With that said here is a question I have. Do you have any devices (Desktop/Laptop computers) directly plugged into the back of the WRT54GS? Or are all devices connected to the router using Wireless? If they are all wireless, turn on AP isolation on the Linksys firmware and give your wireless password to your friends. AP isolation prevents wireless clients from "talking" to each other. However, it does not prevent wireless devices from accessing wired devices that are plugged in the back of the router. In that limited Linksys firmware blocking wireless clients from accessing wired devices is NOT possible. To do that, you need firmware like DD-WRT, OpenWRT, or Tomato.....of course DD-WRT is my preferred choice.

If your router is about 9 years old you got your freakin' money's worth. It may be time for a new router anyway. If you decide to go that route you are going to see several routers from Linksys/Cisco, Belkin, Netgear that will all claim to have "Guest" wireless access. However, with ALL those brands I just mentioned they do not offer secure Guest Wireless access. They do nothing at all to prevent users from one "private" lan (wired into the back of the router) to get access to another "guest". They are pointless. You still get an IP on the same subnet and with the exception of AP Isolation (pointless with LAN connections) you can come right across the network and see other wired devices. Again, pointless. DD-WRT does the same thing UNLESS you set up the iptable firewall scripts. You can't do that with stock firmware which is why DD-WRT kicks butt in that area. (note: I simply copied and pasted my response from this thread: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=260685&highlight= )

Now, for those of you that came across this thread I have found a device that offers "Guest" wireless access with stock firmware that DOES isolate clients from hitting your LAN. They are by Ubiquiti. Currently testing three of the Unifi devices for installation and FINALLY a company that knows how this should work. When configuring the Unifi devices and simply enabling a check mark for "Apply guest policies (captive portal, guest authentication, access restrictions)" clients are isolated and can't get to the LAN. I've seen others on the boards talk about them and while you have to install their webbased interface (kinda sucks) and adjust your client firewall it does appear to work with the limited testing I have performed.
HalfBit
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you sure you don't want to try? It's really pretty simple, if you're willing to do it. You will get the hang of it.

I know it may be scary to think you can brick your router, but you're pretty safe if you read/study before you do anything.

One thing you may want to think about is if you are looking at buying a new router, then what do you have to be afraid of if something happens with this 9-year-old router? I wish I lived close to you, I would help you out--I enjoy networking.

WRT54Gv2
WRT54Gv8.2
~~~~~~~~~~Other Settings~~~~~~~~~
https://nextdns.io/?from=2d3sq39x
https://pi-hole.net/
https://github.com/DNSCrypt/dnscrypt-proxy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: