Configuring Load Balancing - sanity check prior to setup

schnarked
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:38    Post subject: Configuring Load Balancing - sanity check prior to setup Reply with quote
Hi All,

Been happily using DD WRT for a while now, but due to ADSL 1 (8 down / .384 up) connectivity, I recently got a 2nd connection setup so I can load balance the traffic / increase the speed (noting the constraints with some apps).

I've read through the guides on how to do this, but just wanted to sanity check / confirm a couple of things before I made the changes. The reason being is that my Internet is also how I get mobile reception so if I bust it, its pretty unfortunate....

Anyways, my config is as follows:
- Two ADSL 1 connections with the same ISP, one with NetComm router & the other with a Belkin
- DD WRT is running on a NetGear R7000 with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/06/14) kongac operating
- The NetComm is currently connected to the WAN port on the (DD WRT) R7000, with the Belkin plugged into LAN port 1
- Both internet connections are active, however the R7000, which is connected on LAN port 4 (last port) to my switch, is routing traffic out via the NetComm
- The NetComm & Belkin are on a 192.x range (.1 & .2) with the R7000 (with DD WRT) on .3 for the WAN IP and on 10.x for the LAN IP
- Config is relatively default with VLAN 1 for LAN ports 2-4 & VLAN 2 for WAN port & LAN port 1 (I made this change). There's also a bridge active for vlan1 eth1 wl0.1 eth2, and WAN port assignment set to vlan 2

Here's where i'm at:
- I've read the info about bonding & load balancing and just want to confirm which one I should be trying to do?
- There's a bit of conflicting versions of info, but this seems to be latest http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Dual,_Triple_(and_probably_quad)_WAN_with_multiple_active_WAN_links_and_source_routing
- From reading the above link, I need to setup another VLAN (all good), but i'm just trying to understand how I should cable it in / configure it

If I understand this right (please advise):
- I just need to create VLAN 3 and assign LAN port 1 to it.
- When I do this, do I need to change the IP addressing scheme from 192.168.x.2 to 192.168.y.2?
- The routers are being assigned their own DHCP addresses (for their WAN interfaces), so as long as DD WRT directs / balances traffic to them, I don't need to worry about the static / DHCP-only config? Or should I do the DHCP-only config section?
- Next step is what?

Grateful advice as i've got the modems both active on 192.168.x.1 & .2, so I would have thought I just needed dd wrt to balance the traffic to those, rather than setting up another VLAN

Cheers,

Kieran
Sponsor
schnarked
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
*Bump*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: