Router as Access Point

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
evilkitty
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 19:13    Post subject: Router as Access Point Reply with quote
i setup a couple DIR-615 units, one is a e3 and the other is a i1
The i1 is the main router and the e3 is the access point
both are running the DD-WRT 23720 build

It works, but the client sticks a signal till it drops completely before switching to the closer access point

the usage area is not that large, but the cinder block walls hare pretty harsh on the signal strength
I have one on Ch1 and the other on CH 11, both using the same ssid/password with WPA2 Personal
i read something about needing to use WPA2 Enterprise, but i don't know what all these extra options are when i switch to WPA2 Enterprise

Router: Buffalo WZR-300HP w/ DD-WRT build #28444
Sponsor
notorious.dds
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
As far as I know, the decision to disconnect from one AP and connect to another is client dependent. Many wireless clients have some configurability with regards to "roaming aggressiveness". There are also many clients which do not.

That being said, my experience with adjusting the roaming aggressiveness settings has never seemed to make much difference.

You could try lowering the TX power on you AP's which should allow your clients to switch sooner, but this has one obvious side effect.
evilkitty
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
but when i disconnect then reconnect it still uses the wrong one
anyway thanks, i will give that setting a try later

http://askubuntu.com/questions/137460/wireless-roaming-aggressiveness

tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
evilkitty wrote:
but when i disconnect then reconnect it still uses the wrong one
anyway thanks, i will give that setting a try later

http://askubuntu.com/questions/137460/wireless-roaming-aggressiveness

on my laptop which has a broadcom 2x2:2 nic, it has roam tendency & roaming decision. if you have those as well or equivalent settings, try setting them to "aggressive" & "optimize bandwidth" respectively. for the latter i say use opt bw cause in order for good throughput you need good signal, meaning it should hop to the next router before the signal is so weak its unusable, while choosing optimize dist will probably make it behave similar to current, hang on to the signal for dear life till its forced to drop it.

reducing tx pwr probably wont do much if anything the same result.

why r23720? did you try 23919? regardless which just skip 24118 & 24160 theyre heavily bugged, 24461 is decent for some routers (but has ht40 channel select issues)

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

evilkitty
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
cause i have not had any issues with 23720, aside from not being able to ssh into the local net from a ssh session on the router (not a issue in 23919 on my WZR-300HP)
i know after the 23720 upto at least the 23919 cloning the mac address breaks the uplink if the mac exist on the local network
i have not tried anything bast the 23919 on anything i have
i have put the 23720 on 3 DIR-615s none have given me a issue
i have the 23919 on my WZR300HP, only issue i have found is the mac cloning feature

tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
evilkitty wrote:
i know after the 23720 upto at least the 23919 cloning the mac address breaks the uplink if the mac exist on the local network

that seems normal, if theres 2 devices appearing on the same network with the same mac

also if the e3 is running in bridge mode which im assuming hence your words "access point", you could also try client mode then make a vap with the same (case sensitive) ssid/password. this would be double nat but works fine, put the ip of the e3 in the i1's dmz, disable firewall (& remove it's checkmarks) on e3

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

evilkitty
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
evilkitty wrote:

that seems normal, if theres 2 devices appearing on the same network with the same mac

The feature that sets your uplink's mac the same as your computer's
tatsuya46 wrote:
also if the e3 is running in bridge mode which im assuming hence your words "access point", you could also try client mode then make a vap with the same (case sensitive) ssid/password. this would be double nat but works fine, put the ip of the e3 in the i1's dmz, disable firewall (& remove it's checkmarks) on e3

the 3e is setup like a network switch that has wireless, this is what i did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX4xsjpzKtw

tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
evilkitty wrote:
tatsuya46 wrote:
evilkitty wrote:

The feature that sets your uplink's mac the same as your computer's
tatsuya46 wrote:

the 3e is setup like a network switch that has wireless, this is what i did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX4xsjpzKtw

i know what the mac cloning is im say if the original device is on the network then you clone that mac with the cloned device that is also on the network then there would be 2 devices appearing with the same mac & something would probably break, at least thats how i understood it when you mentioned it.

for the video theres a lot of stuff that he did you dont need to do like disable wan connection(if doing it over wifi which you are), selecting client bridge will auto do that for you, disabling routing in admin tab does not need to be changed either, nor does reducing beacon interval but thats broadcom atheros ddwrt dont have those settings

BrainSlayer wrote:

▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: